One Page to Rule Them All

A SketchFighter Map Design Contest

Announcing the first SketchFighter map design contest:
One Page to Rule Them All.

This contest requires you to practice your ability to use space efficiently, by placing restrictions on how much space your map can take up. There are, however, no restrictions on the content of your map beyond that. You have until the end of February to download the attached map template, which is also a copy of the contest rules, and convert it into a great level. At the end of that time, there will be a general vote to determine the winner.

Rules:

• You must base your map on the file attached to this post. The entire area the player can fly in, and all sprites the player can interact with, must be contained within the area marked out in this file.
    You may remove the text sprites listing the rules, and the pen sprites outside of the marked-out area.

• The winner of the contest will be decided by a poll, open to all members of the Ambrosia Software forums, which will run from March 3rd through March 9th, 2007.

• Entries must be posted before March 1st, 2007, to be included in the voting. However, should you make a level based on this contest after March 1st, please feel free to release it anyway.

• All entries must be either attached to a post here, or uploaded to the official SketchFighter Add-ons page, to be included in the voting. All entries must be linked to by a post in this thread, and must have an attached readme that states that they are an entry in the One Page to Rule Them All contest. That readme must also give me (Edwards) credit for the base map file.

• Each person can submit no more than three entries. An entry can be updated as often as wished before the submission deadline, but cannot be entirely replaced.

Note that the dates will be based on the Mountain time zone in the U.S.

Edwards

Attached File(s)

Cool Idea! Having just made the final changes to my last level, I can start immediately! 🙂

Can I remove the Force Field and invisible walls too? Or does it all have to be contained on the paper?

Everything the player can interact with must be on the paper. Removing the walls would allow the player to leave the paper, and is thus illegal. So no, you may not remove the invisible walls.

You can remove the force fields if you want to make the edge of the paper much more dangerous, but I don't recommend it.

Edwards

Awesome. It looks like the Temple of the Pen may be delayed a bit ^_^

Does that mean you can't make a level which doesn't allow you to get out? Like instead of invisible walls, wasteland walls? Is that possible? Or illigal? And can you make the piece of paper bigger?
-FF

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 03 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

Can I do water, so long as it doesn't go off the paper?

@firefalcon, on Feb 3 2007, 05:42 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Does that mean you can't make a level which doesn't allow you to get out? Like instead of invisible walls, wasteland walls? Is that possible? Or illigal?

As long as it is not possible to escape from the page, you may use whatever you want to block off the edge of the paper. However, those sprites should not visibly extend off of the page area. If you do this, I suppose that removing the invisible walls wouldn't have any effect, but neither would leaving them in.

The basic rule about the invisible walls is this: The player must not be able to leave to paper, and nothing the player can interact with can leave the paper.
The invisible walls are a basic way of assuring this, and provide insurance in case any additional walls you put in fail.

----------
As a side-note, be warned that most of the wall sprites are quite large, and lining the page with them can severely cut down on the room you have to work with.

Edwards

Well here's my first entry. I'm going to go for three and work on them all throughout the month. This is in no way a beta, but if someone should suggest a way of improving this level and thereby my chances of winning well I probably will ignore you.
Attached File Acme_Sketch.zip (6.39K)
Number of downloads: 20

I have done mine already; it's an underground mine. Includes a boss, and also, you must find a piece of copper, iron, silver and gold to face the boss. And this is not a BETA; it's already 100% done.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 04 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Here's my other entry. I've decided just to do these two instead of three. Now… back to the Temple of the Pen.

P.S. Depending on how people like this, I'm considering doing a similar area for the Temple.

EDIT: New version! See below

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 05 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

Ok, here's my first entry. Besides having a only 20 seconds to complete it, you'll have a mere 5 hit points as well! My best time is 14 seconds with 3 hit points remaining.

Attached File Small_Circuit.zip (5.23K)
Number of downloads: 18

Just beat my record. The new one is 14 seconds with 5 hit points remaining.

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 05 February 2007 - 06:09 AM

I can't beat it <_<

Anyhow, I just realized that I used the edge of the paper to clip a couple of wall sprites. Is this okay, Edwards?

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Feb 5 2007, 02:20 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Anyhow, I just realized that I used the edge of the paper to clip a couple of wall sprites. Is this okay, Edwards?

A small spill-over off the page isn't a problem (as in the case of Short Circuit's doors), but looking at the level, you should replace those walls with shorter versions. My main concern is that people shouldn't hide enemies off of the paper, to be released in later, or allow the player to run around off of the paper.
Unofficially, you should spend a bit of time seeing if you can keep the various critters inside their areas of miniland- I kept running into Cuties and Blobs in the center of the map.

@Silverwind: That's a challenging level you've made. After about twenty minutes of playing, I've reached the end (with 95% certainty of completion) only three times, with a "best time" of about 20.5 seconds and 2% shields.

Edwards

Yep, it's a tricky one. Although I'm pleased with the results, (nobody's beat my record 😄 ) I didn't quite intend to make it that hard. Perhaps I should allow some extra time. GSN, when you say you can't beat it, is that because of the time or the health? (or both)

This post has been edited by Silverwind : 05 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

Here's a new version of Miniland:
Attached File Miniland.zip (8.34K)
Number of downloads: 14

Ok, here's entry number 2, not as hard as my last one.

Attached File Scarecrow_Attack.zip (6.32K)
Number of downloads: 17

@silverwind, on Feb 4 2007, 11:32 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Ok, here's my first entry. Besides having a only 20 seconds to complete it, you'll have a mere 5 hit points as well! My best time is 14 seconds with 3 hit points remaining.

Attachment Small_Circuit.zip

Just beat my record. The new one is 14 seconds with 5 hit points remaining.

Ooh, I liked this level - beat it third time 18 secs, 3%. Will give it a few more goes to see if I can equal 14 - but that seems pretty difficult.

Edit - okay, 16 secs and 5% - but 14... ! 😮

This post has been edited by Crono : 06 February 2007 - 04:16 PM

Awesome idea, Edwards. What a fun exercise in mapmaking! I hope ya'll like playing Mirror Maze, because I had fun designing it. 😄

Details are in the Readme.

Attached File(s)

@cheleball, on Feb 6 2007, 11:31 PM, said in One Page to Rule Them All:

Awesome idea, Edwards. What a fun exercise in mapmaking! I hope ya'll like playing Mirror Maze, because I had fun designing it. 😄

Details are in the Readme.

Nice one, cheleball!