Extra2 Links

Am I getting this right?

Here is the scenario: Sprite1 is set to Pickup (4) and given an Extra2 value of 1001. Sprite2 is set to Solid (1) and also given an Extra2 of 1001. In theory, when the player touches the former, the latter should disappear, right?

What happens in reality is in fact quite strange. If the player picks up Sprite1 while Sprite2 is onscreen, then Sprite2 loses its color and AI but remains solid. If, on the other hand, Sprite2 is offscreen/culled out when Sprite1 is picked up, then it disappears entirely.

1. Is this a bug?
  2. Is it fixed in 1.0.1? How does it behave in that version?

In other words, can I count on this behavior?

Thanks!

Yes, it is a bug, no, you shouldn't rely on this behavior as, yes, it is fixed for 1.0.1, in that Extra2 links now behave the same way when they are triggered by destroying an enemy and by picking up a pickup (i.e. solid sprites turn not solid, black, and their script is stopped, but they keep their alpha value, and pickups and enemies are removed, doors are opened, force fields are disabled, etc... at least it was the case last time I tested).

There was even more weirdness in that Sprite2 would end up going away at last when another unrelated Extra2 link was triggered, and other such wonderful things...

But I can count on doors opening in 1.0.0 and 1.0.1, as long as the opener and openee are not on the same screen. That's a relief! 🙂

What about using the same name or parent plus child links? I think we'll have to use that before 1.0.1...

This post has been edited by FireFalcon : 02 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

The same name doesn't seem to work for pickups, and parent-child links will cause culling issues with the distances I'm working with. :ninja: