Visions of the Future

Well, they aren't actually, visions, but now I've got you interested:

I had a chat with Nathan Lamont on Game Ranger today, and he told me a few things which he doesn't mind me sharing.

1. What he's hoping to be the final beta of Hera has just been sent to Andrew. Good news! Hera is very, very close to completion.

2. Nathan is working on something new, a game with some sort of relation to space. Apparently it's not on the same 'scale' as Ares, but I think everyone will agree that whatever it is, with the maker of Ares working on it it should be very interesting... What's better, is that he hopes to finish it before the year 2001 dawns...

Blatant cue to start rumours and speculation.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

I think that a while back when I was talking to him, he said that some time in the future he would work on another space game within the ares universe, given the amount of effort he's put into making it good. Sundered, do you think this is the same project he was talking to you about?

------------------
We woke up one morning and fell a little further down, for sure this is the valley of death.
I open up my wallet, and it is full of blood.
-Godspeed you Black Emporer!, Dead flag blues

hmmm this should keep the ares boards goin...

I've heard from alot of people that Hera is still a long ways away though.
But it'd sure be cool if Hera is coming out soon. 🙂
did he say exactly how long until hera or not?

------------------
ramble on..

Humm... Mabe he is working on a 3D game, from the perspective of a person in an Ares ship. You know, with full VR in every ship, wit the ability to edit species ships, etc.

Yeah, right.

He said "Not on the same scale as Ares" Does this mean that we will be controling fleets as a single unit? Or giving very detailed plans to single ships? I would think that controling fleets would be more fun, but then it gets too far away from the action. We shal see. I do not have any rumors to start now, but mabe later! 🙂

------------------
Stop whining about Hera! If you keep your posts to a minimum, then the people who are working on Hera will have nothing else to do, and will work more, and it will come out faster! Stop whining!!

Yes, it may well be associated with Ares in some way, it's definitely a space-sim. I got the impression that it was on a smaller scale than Ares though, not a larger one. A single-ship game possibly?
It would be interesting to take a human gunship, for example, and turn it into a full simulation, with crew, damage, morale, orders, and so forth. If that's the case, then there's even a chance of it being 3D- everyone knows about Ambrosia's "Turf" engine- perhaps it'll get an earlier airing than originally thought...

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Sundered, do you think NL would murder me if I posted a snippet from a conversation I had with him that was relevant?

hey, nobody, you have a fan club down at banter and brawl.

------------------
ERA for EV:
www.geocities.com/rhysmctharin/erahome.html

Newt- What he said to me was, if it doesn't involve Ambrosia's super-secret future plans, you can probably post it. Hell, don't forget he's a moderator as well. If you let your tongue slip, I'm sure he'll cut it off for you :).

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Here goes. It's a good chunk of stuff though.

Admiral Gram: the salrians don't like it b/c it's like keeping a dodo bird around. If the dodo's extinct, you can predict what it will do
Admiral Gram: The ishimans prefer to resettle populations on planets
Newt: So it's more of a relocation than a domestication.
Admiral Gram: yes
Admiral Gram: but there have been times when they've had to take drastic measures to preserve an ecology -- like transplanting it to a tubeworld
Newt: Is a tubeworld like an artificial planet, or what?
Admiral Gram: big hollow tube that spins
Newt: Spinning for gravity?
Admiral Gram: yes
Newt: And they just recreate conditions similar to the species homeworld?
Admiral Gram: right -- but it's very expensive to do; it's cheaper to find a place to transplant them to
Newt: Were the humans going to have a planet or a tubeworld?
Admiral Gram: a planet
Admiral Gram: in the case of the humans, it wasn't a matter of ecology but intelligence
Newt: And are tubeworlds in Ishiman space, or isolated somewhere, or hidden? Or are they just out in the open?
Admiral Gram: they're in ishiman space, hidden but not impossible to find
Newt: The other species know Ishimans build tubeworlds? Would the Salrilians destroy them given the chance?
Admiral Gram: the salrilians would actually prefer to steal them, actually -- killing them is good, but controlling & learning from them is better
Admiral Gram: that's a story in fact I hope to tell in another very different game some day
Newt: Cool, so you're continuing with the Ares universe but with a different Engine?
Admiral Gram: I have put a lot of my ideas into the Ares universe, and for me it's a very fertile ground. So basically any sci-fi story I'd ever want to tell would take place in it.

------------------
We woke up one morning and fell a little further down, for sure this is the valley of death.
I open up my wallet, and it is full of blood.
-Godspeed you Black Emporer!, Dead flag blues

About that Hera being far off... It doesn't really matter, Everythings too busy for me, and most of you people wont be able to use it. I Could download and decrypt it, but I wouldn't want to steal ambrosia's stuff, and I wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole the way it is now.

People, you don't want it till' it's ready.

------------------
ERA for EV:
www.geocities.com/rhysmctharin/erahome.html

Hera is getting better, still can't solve my dilema though.

------------------
I have a plan so ingenius even an idiot could devise it. We will line all our ships up and fly straight at the enemy death cannons therefore clogging them with wreckage.

Very true. Nathan Lamont keeps stating that it's a difficult tool to use. So I doubt we want it just now...

And Laguna>> As long as it only affects that one scenario of yours, I think that problem's a great laugh.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only