Lagging with MacBook

I would love to play this awesome game, but it's really annoying because the picture isn't fluid and smooth. I believe it's because of the game. I have white previous generation MacBook and for example it runs WarCraft III perfectly with graphics set to max.

What are your MacBook's specs? Do you have the GMA X3100? Integrated graphics really aren't all that great at playing newer games (WarCraft III is pretty old now).

First off, the fact that your machine plays Warcraft III smoothly at the highest settings doesn't indicate anything at all vis-à-vis Multiwinia. I have an 11 year old G3 that can play Warcraft III with little difficulty, and a 6 year old PowerBook G4 that can play Warcraft III flawlessly at the highest settings. Neither of these machines plays Multiwinia for beans (the G3 just chokes to death, and the PowerBook manages maybe <10 FPS). Despite the simplistic look of the graphics in Multiwinia, it is, in fact, a very GPU and CPU heavy game.

Second, it would be really helpful if you could post your system specs. How much RAM do you have? What kind of processor, and how fast is it? What video card do you have installed? What version of OS X are you running? Is there any other software that you are running that might be chewing up processor or GPU time? Are there any particular maps that are better or worse than others (for instance, my PowerBook does okay with Eternal Guardians, but dies when it tries to render Fort Zulu)?

Finally, have you tried reducing the graphics and sound settings in Multiwinia? In the options menu, there are several options to reduce the graphics and sound quality. That might help. It might not, but it is worth trying.

xander

Processor: 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 Gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics card: Intel GMA X3100
Operating system: Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6

I think it started to work properly when I didn't have so much going on at the same time. Game that looks like this shouldn't be this heavy.

Any way to invert scroll zoom? It's freaking stupid like it is now.

This post has been edited by Liuhuparta : 08 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

The X3100 sucks as a GPU, frankly. It's slow, uses system RAM, and really isn't all that great for playing more system-resource-sucking games. When it has to render hundreds upon hundreds of Multiwinians on a large map with explosions and weapons fire and everything else that goes on, it's going to choke. It really doesn't have anything to do with the graphical style used.

QUOTE (Liuhuparta @ Apr 8 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any way to invert scroll zoom? It's freaking stupid like it is now.

Could you be more specific? It is not possible to alter the mouse axes, but most of the other controls can be altered by hacking the data files. However, this is completely unsupported, may cause Multiwinia to crash, and will definitely break the auto-updater. You should only mess around with the data files at your own risk. If you decide that you really want to do so, please read the other topics in this forum, as instructions have been provided before.

xander

Also, Introversion fails at OpenGL, which doesn't help the issue at all.