custom maps

Does the Mac version of Multiwinia support custom maps? If so, how do I install them?

No version of Multiwinia currently supports custom maps. It is possible to hack the data files to include custom maps, but this is not supported. Your best bet is to wait until IV finish the map editor.

xander

Okay. I've been looking through the Multiwinia forums and wondering "why are there all these custom maps?"

QUOTE (gray_shirt_ninja @ Mar 19 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay. I've been looking through the Multiwinia forums and wondering "why are there all these custom maps?"

Those custom maps are things that people have hacked together, using the Darwinia editor. Multiwinia and Darwinia use almost exactly the same map format, so if you create a map with the Darwinia editor, it can be made to work with Multiwinia with a few modifications. However, getting these maps to work requires (on the Mac version) opening up the application bundle, extracting several data files, keeping track of a data directory, and properly placing maps in that directory. It may even involve sticking to certain naming conventions. If I thought it was worthwhile, I would explain, step-by-step, how it is done. However

1. IV is working on a map editor, which should also automatically download and install maps, so any hack that you put together now is likely to stop working in the future (and a better solution is on the horizon anyway); and
  2. hacking the data files will prevent the auto-updater from working, and may break other things as well.

Thus, the best advice that I can give regarding custom maps is to either wait for the editor, or follow the directions on the IV forums regarding how to install custom maps (there are instructions for Mac over there).

xadner

Any idea when the editor might be coming out? I got some crazy ideas for a king of the hill map.

QUOTE (mrxak @ Apr 1 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any idea when the editor might be coming out? I got some crazy ideas for a king of the hill map.

No idea. It is, according to rumour, currently in beta. However, IV are also working hard right now to get Darwinia+ out the door, which is, I think, a higher priority than the map editor. All I can say is that it will be out when it is done.

xander

What's Darwinia+?

If I recall correctly, it's a cross between Darwinia and Multiwinia for XBox Live

Interesting. Well I imagine it would be relatively easy to do on the xbox, since the control scheme is pretty simple.

QUOTE (mrxak @ Apr 1 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's Darwinia+?

A bit of history, for those that don't know. IV created Darwinia. Not long after it was released, they were contacted by (or themselves contacted) Microsoft in order to arrange an XBox deal. IV wanted to do a version of Darwinia for the XBox. However, Microsoft really wanted to have a multiplayer mode for XBLA, so IV started work on that. Over time, this morphed into what is now Multiwinia. Multiwinia was released for PC and Mac, but still has not been released for the XBox. The XBox release will include both Multiwinia and Darwinia as one game/package/download/purchase/however XBox partitions things. Basically, Darwinia+ is Darwinia + Multiwinia for the XBox.

xander

Speaking as an Ambrosia Employee and Admin here on the site, I would like to point out that we highly recommend that you refrain from cracking open the application bundle and messing about with it's contents. While it doesn't void any warrantee, you will run the risk of screwing up the software, and making you have to uninstall and start all over.

So, While Xander is well versed in all things Introversion, i would like to say that he doesn't exactly speak for us when suggestions and methods of hacking software are involved. (i only say this cause we don't want to deal with tech support of people that aren't as tech-savy attempting this... cause we all know the noobs will)