New Demo, etc...

Hey guys. I noticed over at the Darwinia website that their is a new demo out for this game. They describe it as taking place AFTER the action in the game as a sort of epilogue.

Any idea if/when this is coming to our platform?

Also... what about the control system? Is there an update on when that will be out for an upgrade?

Thanks!

The new demo is not likely to ever come out for Mac as a demo. Ambrosia's policy has been to preview a game with the first couple of levels, then make people pay to get the rest. The demo, as a demo, does not really gel with that philosophy.

As to the new control system, that is part of patch 1.3. Version 1.3 for Darwinia has been out for Windows for a while now, and has been out for Linux for a couple of weeks. Testing has not yet begun for the Mac OS X version, and I have not gotten any response on the IV boards when I ask about testing and/or release dates. Suffice to say, it will probably be a while (a couple of weeks of testing after the patch is announced).

This brings me to my final point. Once the new patch is out, I anticipate that the level files for the new demo will be released as a mod to Darwinia, either by IV, or one of the enterprising members of the community. Thus, when the 1.3 patch finally comes to Mac, it is probable that the demo will come as well. The catch is that you will have to finish the game first.

I should also note that all of the above is rank speculation, and I could be totally off base, though I kind of doubt it.

xander

EDIT: rant != rank

This post has been edited by darwinian : 14 November 2005 - 10:02 AM

Hmm. I wonder why it is taking so long. Would any mods care to comment?

Oh yeah, and thanks for the info, Darwinia. I suspect your suppositions are more or less correct.

Eh... it's all news to me. But of course I've been pretty out of it lately...

It hasn't been ported over to Mac fully yet.

I posted a message to the dev mailing list a while back, and no response yet. I'll keep you all posted.

As for the mac demo, darwinian is likely on the right track. I expect it'll be added on as an extra level at the end of the game.

Andcarne, on Nov 18 2005, 01:45 AM, said:

I posted a message to the dev mailing list a while back, and no response yet. I'll keep you all posted....View Post

Thank you, Andcarne.

xander