Custom level help

Tutorials?

Sorry to create yet another whole topic on a relatively small question, but does anybody know where I could find some good basic Darwinian level-making tutorials? I can't seem to make a level that doesn't crash the game instantly.

This fansite has a guide for the editor:
http://www.thenextgame.co.uk/modguide/

I didn't find more as that... yet.

Also, there are generally people on #darwinia at irc.uplinkcorp.net . People there are generally fairly good at answering questions. If you are having specific issues, post them here or on the forrums at http://forums.darwinia.co.uk . And remember, the editor has the ability to be rather finicky. It sometimes requires a bit of finese to get things done.

xander

I believe andcarne made a nice tutorial. He can link you to it when he sees this.

Well, I found a tutorial. However, I keep running into the problem that sometimes, it decides it will not save my changes. I'll make sure I click every save button there is to click, but Darwinia still refuses to save changes I make. Has anybody else had this problem?

mrxak, on May 20 2005, 06:24 PM, said:

I believe andcarne made a nice tutorial. He can link you to it when he sees this.
View Post

That would be here.

Fnoigy, on May 20 2005, 09:46 PM, said:

Well, I found a tutorial. However, I keep running into the problem that sometimes, it decides it will not save my changes. I'll make sure I click every save button there is to click, but Darwinia still refuses to save changes I make. Has anybody else had this problem?
View Post

Make sure you're clicking the correct save button. The most important thing is to hit the global save button before exiting the editor. (It's the one on the main editor menu in the top right)

I do. I click that save button when I'm finished editing a level, then I push esc, and in the main location menu, I click the "save locations" button also (this is two different save buttons so far), then I press F3 and exit editing mode, and it still will decide not to actually save any changes I make. (EDIT:) This problem usually happens after I do something in a location that isn't fully complete, or do something that gets an error when I run the location. Hope that gives a few more important details.

Also, how do you delete a location?

This post has been edited by Fnoigy : 21 May 2005 - 01:03 PM

The easiest way to delete a location (and possibly the only way) is to delete the files that are associated with that level -- specifically, mission_(levelname).txt and map_(levelname).txt . You will find these files in ~/Library/Application Support/Darwinia/full/mods/(modname)/ , where ~/ is your home directory.

As to not being able to create or save locations, have you created a new mod? You cannot make changes to the default scenario without first copying it to your mod directory. So, if you do not have a mod loaded, you cannot make changes.

I am sure that this is not the problem, though. If you have more specific problems, I might be able to help more.

xander

Actually, you can make changes to the base scenario through the editor.

There isn't an error message or anything, it just simply will randomly decide to not actually save my changes any more until I quite Darwinia and load it back up again. Even then, it'll sometimes keep misbehaving and ignoring the fact that I pushed the save buttons.

Andcarne, on May 22 2005, 07:10 AM, said:

Actually, you can make changes to the base scenario through the editor.
View Post

Hmm... everytime I try to edit the base scenario, it spits out an error telling me that I cannot save any changes. What am I doing wrong?

xander

Nothing. When you try to edit the main game, you're trying to save modification data to something that isn't in a modification folder (at least, not that I know of). So the game encounters you trying to save to a place that isn't deemed a place to save custom stuff and gets angry at you. Though, I think it may also be a hidden folder, and has special things in it that say it's not editable (I know there are ways to set a MOD to be un-editable (SHUT UP, I KNOW THAT'S NOT A WORD!!)).

I wonder, though, if there's anybody here that IS good at editing, if we could team up at some point, and I could get all the designing, planning and writing, and the other could simply create the ideas in Darwinia. I don't know if anybody is good enough to really make a campaign, or if they would feel it a fair job that they do the creation and programming and I do the conceptualizing and planning. Whatever.

Fnoigy, on May 22 2005, 10:19 PM, said:

...I wonder, though, if there's anybody here that IS good at editing, if we could team up at some point, and I could get all the designing, planning and writing, and the other could simply create the ideas in Darwinia. I don't know if anybody is good enough to really make a campaign, or if they would feel it a fair job that they do the creation and programming and I do the conceptualizing and planning. Whatever.
View Post

These guys might be interested: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwinia/...opic.php?t=2200

In general, if you are interested in modding, the best place to look is here, or to have fun on IRC at irc.uplinkcorp.net in the channel #darwinia (or #uplink, though the crowd there can be a bit rough).

xander

Fnoigy, on May 22 2005, 03:19 PM, said:

I wonder, though, if there's anybody here that IS good at editing, if we could team up at some point, and I could get all the designing, planning and writing, and the other could simply create the ideas in Darwinia. I don't know if anybody is good enough to really make a campaign, or if they would feel it a fair job that they do the creation and programming and I do the conceptualizing and planning. Whatever.
View Post

I've actually been looking for something like that. I really enjoy making mods and working in the darwinia editor, but I have absolutely no ideas whatsoever for a story or anything like that.

Email me if you want: andcarne-at-mac-dot-com

Drop by the Mod Projects section at the official forums - the editor works the same on all OSs.