Control Request

Pretty gruesome control setup.

Overall, the default controls aren't bad except for the option key.

But changing the others to something i prefer makes the option key an even bigger pain in the neck. Gotta be able to change the task manager to a different key.

Second biggest problem is the vertical mouse movement setup. I'm one of those people who cannot play a game decently if the mouse doesn't work like the stick on an airplane. Forward means lean forward, and back means lean back.

There's no control option to reverse the behavior as in many games, so i'm always looking at the sky when i mean to be looking at the ground. 😮

Yeah!

I've noticed that is a big problem for me too in Darwinia. My instinct is to move the mouse forward when I want to go forward. But that just leads to me looking straght at the ground and being disoriented.

Is there an option to change that?

I have to say, that behaviour doesn't make sense to me. Sure, it would make sense if you were moving a camera, but you're not. You're moving a pointer, and the camera simply orients towards the pointer. Maybe if you think about it that way it would make more sense to you?

Aranor, on Apr 5 2005, 05:50 PM, said:

I have to say, that behaviour doesn't make sense to me. Sure, it would make sense if you were moving a camera, but you're not. You're moving a pointer, and the camera simply orients towards the pointer. Maybe if you think about it that way it would make more sense to you?
View Post

When not flying a plane it makes sense okay, but for some reason my brain can't wrap around it in quick reflex situations. I've played too many games that let me go the other way.

Actually i did have a fairly successful game of Darwinia last night, at last. Now i'll probably be all screwed up when i play Halo. :rolleyes:

I also found i can do pretty well using z, x, c, and s instead of a, s, d, and w, which puts the option key in a handier position, but i still prefer to be able to put all controls anywhere.

I find using the arrow keys a much handier option.

I would really love to be able to control the camera's rotation and pitch (?looking up and down) with the keyboard. Played to much myth I guess.