Strange floating containers

Wrappers around souls?

Occasionally I see these strange floating things, they look like a box with the top and bottom cut off and a strip around the middle cut away, with a yellow soul inside, and it's floating up to Heaven. What are these things?

Supposedly, these are explained in the game, but I never saw the good Dr. tell us what they were, I had to read it somewhere.

They're sort of religious things that the Darwinians make to guide dead souls to 'heaven', aka the Soul Repository. The soul isn't inside it, but Darwinians make these and then do a swaying thing when a dead soul is nearby.

Yes, kind of a funeral lantern. I don't think they ever were mentioned in the in-game text. More of just a neat little graphical thing.

Oh, that's cool. I wish it was explained somewhere. The good doctor should pop up and tell me what it is the first time I see one.

IN OTHER WORDS, THE DARWINIANS PREVENT A SOUL FROM BEING RESCUED? BAD.

BTW, SORRY FOR POSTING IN CAPITALS, BUT MY SHIFT BUTTON SEEMS TO BE STUCK AND I CAN'T WRITE NON-CAP ANYMORE.

No, watch closer. If a darwinina gets close enough to the soul of a dead darwinian (and maybe even viruses) they will rock back and forth and sometimes build the things. When the soul finally floats off they release the thingy so it floats with the soul.

Weird touch... Gotta love green stick-men.

CJM2, on Apr 2 2005, 10:12 AM, said:

Gotta love green stick-men.
View Post

nah ... i like blue ones 😉 (www.stickdeath.com)

Yeah, they're lanterns with souls inside them. Sorf of a Darwinian funeral ritual.

And they don't prevent the souls from being rescued, look at where the souls are floating... :cryptic grin:

Yeah, now after solving the yard level, I learned about the Darwinian rebirth cycle.
Interesting, today I saw a Darwinian holding one of the lanterns, swaying with it and finally releasing it. Looked almost like it was weeping or something. They're too cute.

I do indeed love the little green men. When they fall in battle I am very sad.

I don't think the soul is actually in the lantern.. more of a guiding light.

Also, a fun little bug: If you turn the swaying darwinian that's making the lantern into an officer, the lantern doesn't get any bigger and just sits there. You can then kill the officer and turn the darwinian that's swaying for his soul and making a new lantern into an officer.

Even though this is cool, you have to endure the little catish screams of the officers (voiced by Maddie the Cat). 😞