Darwinia frustration

So I'm trying to get into and enjoy this game, but as soon as I start to get somewhere, the game throws a bug at me. For starters, I've managed to get the game to run, but when I play full screen any text in the game does not show up. Okay, so I figured out that if I played the game in a window, I could get the text to show up almost all of the time. Great, the game now works. Next, I play through the first level. Okay, simple enough, only annoying thing was getting the radio dishes to point the right way. Next level, I'm faced with these same radio dishes. Only this time, they are completely impossible to aim. When I select one, the camera goes crazy, points and turns randomly, and is completely uncontrolable by me. If I let this just happen for about five seconds, it stops, the camera is pointing near to where I want to go, but not quite. As I turn the camera towards the dish I need to aim towards, the camera starts to shake and get more and more jerky, until just before I can click on the other dish, it goes back to pointing in every direction without me doing anything. I assume this is a bug, but either way, it's pretty annoying to have to deal with this in the game. Next, for no apparent reason, the camera will suddenly start to scroll in one direction, nothing seems to stop this but quitting the game. Again, annoying. And all these things are just the bugs, I've been ignoring the actual gameplay annoyances, like trying to herd a bunch of darwinians to one spot when they've spread out over the whole island.
So are these bugs just because I'm using a G3 450mhz iMac, or are they bugs that affect any system used? If it's just my computer, could Ambrosia please stop getting my hopes up by putting "G3 or better" as requirements? If they're bugs that aren't caused by my low end computer, why couldn't they have been caught, since it only took me a few hours to run into all of them?

This post has been edited by WraithSniper : 31 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

SORRY FOR POSTING IN CAPITALS, BUT MY SHIFT BUTTON SEEMS TO BE STUCK AND I CAN'T WRITE NON-CAP ANYMORE.

IN ORDER TO AIM THE DISHES, YOU NEED TO CLICK AT THEM. THE CAMERA WILL NOW TURN WITH THE DISH IN THE MIDDLE. PLACE THE CURSOR ONTO THE OTHER DISH YOU WANT THE CURRENT ONE TO AIM AT. I PLAYED DARVINIA AT MY G3 IBOOK, MY G4 DESKTOP MACHINE AND MY CURRENT G4 LAPTOP, IT ALL WORKED.

Arion, on Apr 1 2005, 02:54 AM, said:

SORRY FOR POSTING IN CAPITALS, BUT MY SHIFT BUTTON SEEMS TO BE STUCK AND I CAN'T WRITE NON-CAP ANYMORE.

IN ORDER TO AIM THE DISHES, YOU NEED TO CLICK AT THEM. THE CAMERA WILL NOW TURN WITH THE DISH IN THE MIDDLE. PLACE THE CURSOR ONTO THE OTHER DISH YOU WANT THE CURRENT ONE TO AIM AT. I PLAYED DARVINIA AT MY G3 IBOOK, MY G4 DESKTOP MACHINE AND MY CURRENT G4 LAPTOP, IT ALL WORKED.
View Post

Ummm....but that isn't my problem. I know how to aim the dishes, I did it on the first level successfully with no issue besides a slightly jerky camera, that was the annoying part. This annoyance became an issue on the second level. I'll try explaining this again. When I click on the dish I want to aim, instead of the camera nicely staying put until I move the mouse towards another dish, the camera will become jerky, that is, point and change direction without any input from me, with the camera becoming worse the closer you point it towards the other dish, to the point of being completely out of control. I have seen others complaining of this same problem, so it isn't just my computer, although it could be our graphics card. This is a pretty serious bug, as it makes the dishes completely impossible to use, how was this missed?