Ares Chronicles: The rise of the Barbarians: The Orion Axis

Luck had it that fate saw fit to give man a second chance, but it rose again not from one world but from many, for amongst the stars were myriad different races of men... some ascending... others sinking into ruin... each age bringing a new master power, and the ruin of it's predecessor

_... but the Orions rose before their time had come, for they were unintentionally gifted with advancement by the older civilizations, unwittingly, as they fought their magnificent wars above the Orion skies, unaware the planets below were inhabited... from these battles, the dead fell from the skies and the wrecked hulks of these leviathans crashed.

As the cataclysmic war of the elders finally petered out and the nights became silent again, the Orions emerged from terrified hiding unto their ruined lands, once more theirs, dotted with the abandoned and fallen wrecks of the sunken ships of the stars.

Like the scavengers they were, like vultures, the Orions salvaged the carcasses of these fallen gods ... and they gleamed from them centuries of knowledge and technology in one searing burst of revelation - and thus the Orions made the jump to the stars, yet this sudden leap came at a cost - for while the Orions had gained the means to join the older civilizations of man in the stars, they had skipped in their entirety the fundamentals of social development that come with centuries of gradual and natural advancement, _and it is for that they are referred to as The Barbarians...

Quite....short.

------------------

This could be a recurring theme in sci fi. Forgive me, but I am reminded somewhat of master of orion 2/3.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't.

Originally posted by Joveia:
**This could be a recurring theme in sci fi. Forgive me, but I am reminded somewhat of master of orion 2/3.

Never played any of those games, but I look forward to getting the third one.
Perhaps originality is so difficult because all possible concepts have been explored. Whatever; I'm using this forum as a test-bed for ideas. I'll try to come up with something better.

------------------
See I'm the king of the swingers, the Jungle V.I.P.,
But I've reached the top and had to stop,
And that's what's
botherin' me.

What would classify as sufficient sociological advancement for a return to the stars? A peaceful nature? Should Man only have weapons which they would not abuse, thus the title barbarians, because they abused the power which was given unto them?

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't.