Ares Chronicles: What Comes Before - Part XIII: The Fickle Tides of War

What Comes Before

Part XIII: The Fickle Tides of War

The Gaitori admiral paces back and forth in his office impatiently while his subordinates look on.

"How do you convince someone else to die for you in order to re-capture your territory?" he thought.

That is the question the admiral must answer quickly before the Chief Strategist of the Cantharan Order Admiral Mek Het and his staff arrive.

He was authorized by his government to make several concessions. But what he is about to propose will be dragging the Cantharan Order into war, something that the Order declined to do for the last 2 years.

The door chime rang.

"Come in please," said the admiral.

As he expected, it was the Cantharans.

Once the exchange of greetings and introductions is over, the Gaitori admiral moved right onto the subject at hand.

"Admiral, my government finally decided to go on the offensive."

"Good, that will throw the Obiards off balance."

"You have been advising us to go on an offensive. But what do you think are our realistic chances?"

Admiral Mek Het feigned hesitance before replying:

"Well, your troop morale is on the rise. Plus, your ships continue to enjoy numerical superiority. Adding the element of surprise-"

"Please admiral, check your usual platitudes at the door. We are planning a campaign here. Some honest truth, no matter how brutal, is for the better."

"Very well. Then I'll be forthright. I believe that you already missed the window of opportunity. The offensive will incur heavy casualties on both sides. Eventually, you will accomplish little, if anything at all."

The Gaitori audience was clearly shocked. However, the Gaitori admiral said:

"Thank you, admiral. Perhaps it might interest you to know that your calculations is the same as our worst case scenario. Judging from the way the war has been going, I tend to trust worst case scenarios."

The Gaitori admiral leaned forward a bit and continued:

"Now that we are both speaking as miltiary men instead of politicians, allow me to be equally frank: What help can we expect from Cantharis?"

"I'll see to it that we divert all available revenue to purchasing warships and hiring mercenaries for you. But I've already taken those into account as well. There are only so many mercenaries who have actual battle experience and only so many freighters that can be modified into warships. The aid will help, just not by enough."

The Gaitori admiral nodded.

"I was afraid you were going to say that."

He paused for a second before continuing:

"But I think you intentionally dodged my question. So, I'll ask it again: What help can we expect from Cantharis?"

"If you're talking about dispatching our warships, I'm afraid that's impossible now," replied the admiral sharply. "We recommended your government to let us patrol the Free Trade Zone if we succeed in defending it from the Obiards two years ago. Prime Minister Serneyus rejected our proposal. Now, the Obiards are practically entrenched there. Removing them will take a lot of Cantharan lives. Cantharis will be asked to pay the price that it can't afford."

"On the contrary admiral, I believe that Cantharis is rich enough to pay the price, especially if the bounty on Obish heads is increased."

"First of all, I don't know what deal your government has in mind. Suffice it to say, the chances of it interesting us is low. Second, I doubt PM Serneyus will agree to better terms."

"What makes you think that this deal was seen by the PM?"

"What?" asked the admiral, pretending to be surprised.

"The military is ready to make a special offer," whispered the Gaitori admiral. "In exchange for Cantharan assistance, we'll support your claim to any star system within the Free Trade Zone."

"You're suggesting that the Free Trade Zone Treaty be repudiated!" exclaimed the admiral, pretending to be surprised again.

"Indeed we are. Let's face it admiral. When was the last time a Cantharan cargo vessel entered the zone? I certainly haven't seen any Gaitori freighters go in there lately. The zone is gone. And I for one say good riddance."

"But that'll be a violation of the treaty both of our governments signed," said the admiral, again pretending hesitance."

"Admiral, we are both realists. We know that this treaty isn't worth as much as the data chips it's recorded on. Suffice it to say, it's suffered a dramatic devaluation. It's already past time for its eulogy. The clever man will know how to squeeze the last molecule of benefit out of its carcass. To us, the zone is already lost. To you, you can gain a large chunk of territory. I honestly can't say I feel any loss."

The admiral pretends to be considering the choices in front of him.

"Admiral," said the Gaitori admiral. "Every second we spend debating the merits of this plan is one second we lose to the Obiards who are fortifying their positions. We need an answer as soon as possible."

The admiral finally looks up.

"I'll have to return to Cantharis to brief the Supreme Council personally. Hopefully, I can prevail upon them that your plan is worthy of consideration."

"Admiral, you're too humble. We all know that your proposals are seldom rejected by the Cantharan Supreme Council especially when they concern matters of war. Where Admiral Mek Het goes, the Supreme Council will follow."

"Perhaps," said the admiral, still feigning hesitance. "If I do succeed in convincing them, I'll coordinate our operations and mobilization from Cantharis and we will stay in contact."

"Very well, admiral. Good luck."

"The Gaitori offensive will be launched on the entire front. However, their main thrust will occur at Fulchreon. If they can break through there, then they have a chance of destroying the Obish munitions depot at Chelavisk Station," said Admiral Mek Het as he briefs his staff.

The Salrilian adviser shook his head.

"The odds of them succeeding is not good."

"What is it?" one Cantharan captain asked.

"39.08%"

"That's good enough for me," remarked Captain Xet.

"Yes. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Gaitori. I would feel much more assured if the odds are 65% in favor."

"What if we divert 10 of our cruisers to aid them?" suggested another Cantharan captain.

The admiral nodded.

"Good idea. Captain Xet, you'll lead 10 cruisers to Fulchreon as soon as possible."

"Yes sir."

"In the mean time, the brief Gaitori civil war will eventually force the Isolationists to Fansi where they will be destroyed," said the Salrilian adviser.

"The Obiards will try to take advantage of this opportunity," remarked a Cantharan captain.

"That's when we come in," continued the Salrilian adviser. "We will dispatch a fleet to Secorem, forcing the Obiards to cancel their operation against the Gaitori and divert their ships to Heshac."

"The Cantharan navy," said the admiral. "Will strike simultaneously in the largest coordinated offensive ever, utilizing 3 Cantharan fleets at the same time. We will strike at Proteus, Philemon, and Spirst, forcing the Obiards to either retreat into Obain, into the Palyos Belt to be destroyed, or into Heshac."

"That is when our fleet in Secorem will make their move, destroying the gathering of Obish forces in Heshac. We estimate that a full 50% of the Obish fleet will be annihilated within 1 week." added the Salrilian adviser.

"Let's not jump ahead of ourselves," said the admiral. "The battle at Proteus will be particularly tricky."

"Why? They're outnumbered." said the Salrilian adviser.

The admiral smiled. He said slowly:

"I don't intend to destroy their base. I intend to capture it."

Admiral Mek Het sat in his room, thinking. He is about to hand Cantharis the greatest triumph ever in its history.

At the same time, the admiral made 2 changes to the original plan. As a result, Salrilian predictions of the course of battle are no longer accurate. The Salrilian adviser sent the revised plans back to Salril and the Oracular Network is hard at work running simulations. But by the time the simulations are over, the most important battles will be over as well.

The first change is a novel one. If successful, the advantages gained by the Order will be tremendous. The second change is less risky, its benefits harder to gauge. Nevertheless, it will deal such a deadly blow to the Obiards as to force them to surrender.

However, the risks in his first change are real. The admiral now must concentrate on the smallest details to make sure that his grandiose operation does not fall apart at the seams due to a careless error. He already went over the plans 3 times. Even the Salrilian adviser, although uncertain of its possibility of success, agreed that the plan is foolproof as far as he can see. Nevertheless, the admiral is now possessed by an emptiness within. His mind seems signalling that there is a hole somewhere in his plans. He is trying desperately to make sure that he finds that hole. If there is no hole, then his efforts will reassure himself.

The admiral is not a man of self doubt. Then again, he has never embarked on a massive operation like this before. Never before has more than 1 Cantharan fleet operate simultaneously with another. Never before has the battlefield span so many disparate systems. The coordination was intricate, the planning meticulous. There are so many variables. Anything can go wrong. What if the Gaitori offensive collapses and the Obiards are able to dispatch ships to the Western Theater? If so, his forces will be caught between hostile forces. Even though Cantharan forces are superior, being caught in that position will still be disastrous for his plan. It will collapse into its constituent atoms.

The admiral suddenly smiled. Why is he still working on the worst case scenarios? Perhaps the Gaitori offensive will succeed. Then the Obiards will be scrambling to transfer ships to the Eastern Theater, making victory in the west inevitable. The Obish base in Proteus will be captured. Then he must hurry to-

That's when the admiral realized why he had been looking over these plans over and over again. His plans include the Gaitori. It is difficult to trust these plans when it calls for clockwork precision while including the Gaitori in them.

Then again, fear and self-doubt are the voices of the enemy. And the admiral is determined not to be seduced by those voices.

"Computer, ETA?"

"13 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes, 44 seconds."

Prime Minister Serneyus sat in his dark room, contemplating.

He had been tortured and imprisoned by his government before. However, never before has his prospects been so grim.

2 days ago, the Gaitori military suddenly initiated a coup d'etat. He barely escaped with a handful of his followers. The leadership of the government has been placed under arrest. That leadership includes the highest ranking members of the GIP. Now he hears rumors that they had all been executed.

Mass arrests immediately began. On some worlds, military troops laid siege to Gaitori cities. The coup came as a complete surprise to the prime minister. His movement was dissolved in 2 days.

It tortures the prime minister to think that the Union seems to be on an irrevocable path to Cantharan servitude. The Obish-Gaitori War was initiated with his implicit approval. Just as Vargerus predicted, the war created a wave of xenophobia that the government could not oppose. The government's plan to clamp down on the GIP was dissolved and a peaceful transition of power occurred. The GIP became the dominant power in the parliament.

Moreover, the agenda of the GIP was being enforced zealously. Foreigners were expelled, their property confiscated.

However, he did not take into account that Obain intended to destroy the Union. He also over-estimated the effectiveness of his military.

At the brink of defeat, he was forced to request aid from the Ishimans. To the prime minister, that was the greatest insult to date. The party leader of the Gaitori Isolationist Party, forced to beg for aid from a foreign power.

After Ishiman aid was replaced by Cantharan aid, Obish advances were halted. However, a negotiated Obish withdrawal is nowhere in sight. The Obiards are digging in to consolidate their gains.

That was when he began to feel that the population that he was able to direct easily gained a mind of its own.

Whereas the prime minister believed that peace must be gained at any cost, even abandoning most of the lost territories, the population championed for the eviction of Obish forces from Gaitori territory.

He feared that suggesting a peace settlement will result in the fall of the GIP. Therefore for more than a year, he allowed his country to fight a war that he doubts will conclude in their favor.

The fury stirred up by his party and the Obish invasion has taken on a life of its own. Ironically, the war that ensured the power of the GIP and the radicalization of the masses served to moderate the party leader.

The war has taken on frightening proportions. If the Gaitori soul was deformed by the former government's open access programs, then the war has completely transformed the Gaitori soul beyond recognition.

He no longer recognizes this new Gaitori soul. He hoped for a return to the traditional Gaitori culture. Instead, a new militant and bloodthirsty culture developed in its place. This was not what he had in mind.

Now his people has become animals, their minds filled with thoughts of revenge. Whereas art and music and other cultural pursuits are pratically deserted, enlistments has only increased.

The Fansi System was invaded by Obish forces several months ago. Although the Gaitori failed to hold their colonies, they still control the 2 forts in the system. The military commander in charge was an Isolationist sympathizer. Hopefully, they can find refuge there.

The prime minister looked at the glass of water on his desk. Drinking it will be his salvation. After all, the Gaitori Union is coming under the control of the military and the military is coming under the increasing control of the Order. In addition, the Obiards will no doubt take advantage of this internal disarray. The future looks grim indeed. What is there to look forward to?

The prime minister suddenly grabbed that glass of water and drank its contents in one gulp. He then picked up a pad on his desk and started scrolling down its contents:

"My beloved Gaitori people,

By the time you receive this message, I will be gone. I have failed as your leader and I take responsibility of our disasters. Do not look for scapegoats amongst yourselves. Instead, if you must look for a scapegoat, I offer myself as that scapegoat.

It saddens me to know that my dream of a Gaitori Union has not come to pass. Instead, under my leadership, we lost one-third of our territory. Tens of millions were killed. Billions now live under enemy occupation.

But what saddens me even more is what is happening to the once noble Gaitori spirit. It has been crippled by the war. Generosity has been driven from our hearts. Mercy has become a foreign concept. We are as ruthless to our enemies as we are to each other.

It has been said that a man on his death bed always have some fine words to offer. I hereby offer you these:

Our people must remain independent. Before the war, our people was gradually becoming the captives of foreign cultures. Now, we are becoming the captives of the Cantharan Order.

Do not trust the Cantharans. We must stand alone. We must make peace with our neighbors, even if they plotted for our downfall for years. Without peace, we will live under the guns of Obiards or the administration of Cantharans.

Asking you to make peace with the Obiards right now is asking you to swallow a bitter pill. Yet I must ask you to recognize the measure as good medicine. Only then, can we fully cleanse ourselves of foreign influence.

I know there is still courage left in the Gaitori soul. I will not see the day when that courage is used to overthrow all foreign influence. But know this: I leave with a prayer on my lips for my people."

"Sir, shields are down to 41%."

"Sir, the cruiser the Song of Doz has been disabled and is requesting assistance."

"Sir, the Gaitori carrier Clu'vher has taken heavy damage and is falling back."

"Sir," the commander whispered in Captain Xet's ear. "That is the 4th Gaitori carrier that is-"

"Sir, the enemy has launched another charge at the Gaitori left flank. They're sending 2 squadrons of cruisers."

"Sir," said the commander. "I don't think the Gaitori left flank is going to hold for long. We must come up with options."

Captain Xet did not need the reminder of the commander. He was already thinking about options when the battle stalemated.

But what options are there? The Obish core, composed of 5 destroyers in formation, is heavily shrouded by Obish cruisers, forming an impenetrable defense. A previous charge led by 3 Gaitori carriers have already resulted in the destruction of all 3. Cantharan cruisers may be powerful. But 9 is hardly enough to take on the Obish fleet's core.

They arrived at the battle late. And it soon became clear to them that the battle is progressing slowly but surely against the Gaitori. The Obish formation is tight, preventing any charges from succeeding. The defensive screen they've thrown up around their destroyers is formidable, preventing any serious harm to their destroyers. Meanwhile, the highly maneuverable Obish cruisers charged into Gaitori lines, wreaking havoc and confusion, especially at its left flank. The Obiards obviously hope to turn the Gaitori left flank and force the enemy to withdraw.

Most of the Cantharan ships were sent to patch up the holes in the left flank. But even with Cantharan help, the Gaitori left flank still cannot hold. Now it seems on the verge of collapse. If it does, the Gaitori will most likely withdraw, leaving Admiral Mek Het's plans in ruins.

No! That can't happen. The plans are perfect. With the admiral's last minute improvisations, they can finally bring this destructive war to an end. Cantharis will be able to dictate terms of surrender to Obain. Captain Xet is not about to let his dream of his own statue outside the Cantharan Naval War Museum go up in flames like the Gaitori ships. There is too much at stake. He can't allow the Gaitori left flank to be penetrated.

"Set a collision course for the Obish flag ship. Engage at light speed at my command."

The helmsman, upon hearing that order, turned abruptly. So did the rest of the bridge crew.

The captain held up his chest proudly.

"I'm not about to let Gaitori incompetence get in the way of our greatest victory ever. Not if I can help it. Helmsman, you have your orders."

The bridge crew looked at the captain with an expression of admiration. Almost as if in worship of Zom and Doz.

The commander said:

"Sir, it's been a pleasure serving with you."

"As I all of you," replied the captain simply. Then he turned and sat back on his seat. The only thing on his mind is:

"The captain goes down with his ship. The captain dies at his post. The captain completes his mission..."

"Helmsman, engage."

In a flash, the Cantharan cruiser collided with the Obish destroyer. An explosion occurred, but subsides almost as quickly. The Obish destroyer's shields were still holding. The attack had been in vain.

But perhaps not. Right after the first explosion subsided, a second occurred at the Obish flag ship's port section, rocking the destroyer. It must have been committed by a Cantharan cruiser that decided to enter stealth mode to avoid interception. This time the explosion is more spectacular. The Obish destroyer is on fire.

Then a third. Again, the Cantharan captain decided to enter stealth mode to avoid detection. The explosion occurred at aft, catching the destroyer at one of its weak points, its light drive.

That is when the demise of the Obish flag ship began. Random explosions occurred all over the ship. Escape pods began to be ejected. For most of the crew, it was already too late.

The Gaitori admiral stood there, transfixed by what he just saw. 3 Cantharan ships sacrificed themselves to turn the tide of battle. In order to guarantee the success of this offensive, they were willing to do whatever it takes, including a suicide run.

The battle seemed to have slowed. Most ships have stopped firing. No doubt all of them struck by what had just occurred. Even the Obiards should still appreciate the courage in the charge.

The admiral suddenly found his eyes moist as he watches the Obish flag ship disintegrate. If those foreigners are willing to die just to regain Gaitori soil, why can't he?

"Open a comm link to all ships."

The comm officer paused before he complied. He too, like everyone else on this bridge, and perhaps on the bridges of every ship out there, was stunned by the scene on the view screen.

"Comm link open, sir."

"To all ships. We've all just witnessed what our Cantharan allies are willing to do for us. Now let us see what we can do for ourselves. I won't ask anyone of you to do what I won't do myself."

He turned to the helmsman and in a clear loud voice, he pronounced:

"Helmsman, set a collision course for the nearest enemy destroyer."

The helmsman complied. Not one on the bridge thought he should do otherwise. It has now become natural for them. Natural for them to die in this struggle against their mortal enemy.

"Course set, sir."

"Engage light-" then he paused. That is when he saw his ships began charging toward enemy ships.

The Gaitori vessels charged toward Obish ships. They have already stopped firing. After all, their weapons seem so ineffective when compared to the enemy. All they have left are their ships. And they'll use them to their greatest effect.

The Obish cruisers attempted to defend their capital ships vigilantly. The defensive screens they created shot down a dozen Gaitori ships. However, there is only so much one can do when the enemy does not fear death any longer.

Another Obish destroyer was soon pounded by one collision. Then another. Then a third. And a fourth. And a fifth! There was no further need for suicide attacks as the destroyer begins to disintegrate in a series of explosions.

Another Obish destroyer was taken down by 3 Gaitori gunships. 3 huge explosions occuppied the sights. But only for a while. To be succeeded by a brilliant fireball close by.

The nearest Obish destroyer was also struck by several Gaitori cruisers. Unlike its 3 other unfortunate counterparts, one of the ships impacted directly on the main power generator. The destroyer exploded in the largest fireball anyone can recall seeing in his life. The explosion was so bright that it occuppied most of the view screen, obscuring the fact that the last of the Obish destroyers is being pounded by Gaitori ships at the same time.

By the time that brilliant explosion subsided, the Gaitori saw the fruits of their sacrifices. All the Obish destroyers are in flames.

"Sir, enemy communications indicate that they're falling back!"

- htjyang: not the imposter

I'm running out of ways to say "I love it!"...

I'm glad it is to your liking.

Whoa man! Blew me away! lol 😄

Zell

------------------
-------------------------
Shoot!There goes my...
(BANG)
Oops!I didnt do it, nobody saw me do it, You can prove anythin...
(BANG)

(quote)Originally posted by Zell:
**Whoa man! Blew me away! lol:)

Thank you for your compliment.

Maybe!lol again 😄

Zell

------------------
Shoot!There goes my...
(BANG)
(BANG)

BTW Sargantus, That chronicle I submitted ages ago, where is it?

------------------
Shoot!There goes my...
(BANG)
(BANG)