Ares Chronicles: What Comes Before Part I: The Investigation

What Comes Before

Part I: The Investigation

As Mek Het walks into the room, he felt slightly depressed. The Menaetheans offered the Order some worthwhile resistance. That is, while the resistance lasted. The only thing he can look forward to now, is a series of campaigns against undeveloped races, many of which have not even developed light drive. Hardly anything to be excited about for the Chief Strategist of the Cantharan Order.

Meanwhile, the Ishimans seem only capable of issuing diplomatic protests. The enigmatic Bazidanese continue to call for conferences, although even their delegates have admitted off the record, that these calls have become a formality. They can no longer realistically expect even token compliance from the Order. The Bazidanese have begun to recognize that power in the known galaxy has shifted and it is not shifting in the direction of the Elejeetians.

As soon as Mek Het sat down, other Cantharans began to arrive. Many sitting behind him. The rest sitting besides him. None however, dares to take the seat in front of him. A slight crack of smile, almost undetectable, appears on his lips.

"The council will come to order," announced the chairman even though the members filtered into the room silently.

"Does anyone wish to speak?" asked the chairman.

There was silence in the room. Mek Het knew that no one dares to speak before he does. He deliberately waited a while longer, just to make sure that he will not be challenged. Eventually, the silence becomes deafening.

"Seeing none, I move to open the agenda," said Mek Het.

"Any other motions?" asked the chairman. The question was unnecessary. The members replied with silence.

"Very well, the agenda has been opened," declared the chairman. Then he picked up the pad in front of him and announced:

"There are 17 items currently on the agenda. Does anyone wish to make any motions?"

The members scanned their pads. After everyone has reviewed its contents, all of them stared at the floor, waiting for a motion.

"I motion for-" then Mek Het suddenly stopped. He stared at the last item on the list again. For a while, all eyes were on him.

"I motion to re-order agenda item #17 to agenda item #2. The rest will follow in order."

There were some inquisitive looks cast around the room. But silence reigned.

"Is there any other motions?"

Silence.

"Very well. Is there any objections?"

Silence.

"The motion has been adopted. Is there any other motions?"

After a while, seeing silence remains unbroken, a junior member of the council stated:

"I motion for beginning the review of the agenda as re-ordered."

"Granted. First item: The Cantharan Third Fleet, under the command of Admiral Mek Het, assaulted Menaethean rebels in the Kortiyana system, capturing their base. Organized Menaethean resistance has come to an end. Salrilian calculations indicate that no organized Menaethean resistance will re-materialize for another 67 years, 8 months, 22 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes, and 9 seconds. The Cantharan people would like to express its gratitude to the admiral for another job well done." Putting down the pad, the chairman spoke directly to the admiral:

"Admiral, your service to the Cantharan people has been noted."

Mek Het nodded.

"Second item. Hyperjump activities detected in the star system of Prebeis. Intelligence indicates-"

"Motion to speak, Mr. Chairman," interrupted Mek Het.

"Approved," said the chairman.

Mek Het stood up.

"My fellow Cantharan brethren, some of you may wonder why I re-ordered this insignificant item to #2. I would like to give you my reason. Several decades ago, our intelligence informed us that the Ishimans broadcasted a message to the Prebeis system. We sent a single scout ship to try to find out exactly what is attracting the Ishimans' attention. All we found was a low level civilization that just barely achieved space travel. We ignored them and moved on to more pressing affairs. Now it appears that this race has achieved hyperjump capability. I believe this marks them as a worthy candidate for our crusades."

There was a low-level murmur in the room. Someone else then raised his hand.

"You have been recognized," said the chairman.

"Thank you," turning to the entire council, he said:

"My fellow Cantharan brethren, although I agree with what my colleague had just stated, I also must remind you all that by sending out our ships in all directions, we have neglected the administration of the conquered territories. We need to solidify our control over them. Although this may not sound like glamorus adventure, it is the prudent thing to do. As for this little mystery, we can send another vessel to evaluate them for now."

Mek Het slightly nodded. The slight motion of his head did not escape the watchful eyes of his colleagues.

"The positions has been stated. Is there any motions?" asked the chairman.

"I withdraw my motion, Mr. Chairman. We should investigate before we undertake action," said Mek Het.

"Very well. Seeing no other motions, the council has decided to dispatch a cruiser to investigate the Prebeis System. Now, for the third item..."

- htjyang

I'd like to say I liked this story; it's pretty likable.

Anyway, there is another part to it which will be posted shortly- maybe in a week or so. 🙂

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Interesting. Very interesting. And well written. But just a reminder: the Cantharan Crusades were more about following the asteroids laced with the Boodan virus than they were about enlightenment or expansion of space.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

Originally posted by Sargatanus:
**Interesting. Very interesting. And well written. But just a reminder: the Cantharan Crusades were more about following the asteroids laced with the Boodan virus than they were about enlightenment or expansion of space.

One should also note that what you pointed out may only be the Ishiman point of view, which may not necessarily be true.

The Cantharans were peaceful, happy with what they had, until the Boodan Virus. It was the Boodan Virus which caused their militaristic, expansionistic behaviour. A typically Salrilian ploy, I might add.

I agree with the well written comment. It's always fun to see the world through the eyes of the enemy, and you portrayed Mek Het as quite an interesting character.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**The Cantharans were peaceful, happy with what they had, until the Boodan Virus. It was the Boodan Virus which caused their militaristic, expansionistic behaviour. A typically Salrilian ploy, I might add.

You're implying that you believe the virus caused an infection that altered their behavior. (If this is a misinterpretation, then I'll have to be sent back to elementary school.) Perhaps you might also want to write a story about it.

Obviously the facts are too limited for any of us to speak with any certainty about our own interpretations. If one looks at the plot of Ares, one will see a severe lack of objective information. Most of the information is provided by the Ishimans. As I noted in the guide, I have doubts as to their true nature. Even if we can accept the facts they presented, we still have to doubt their interpretation of those facts.

**I agree with the well written comment. It's always fun to see the world through the eyes of the enemy, and you portrayed Mek Het as quite an interesting character.

Thank you. I find myself constantly in the role of defending unpopular positions. I'm still battling rebel sympathizers on the EV Board (Love live the Confederation!). Now I use a Cantharan as the main character of my story.

Finally, if you enjoy a fierce exchange of pithy remarks and intelligent insults, you'll love Part VI: The Embassy Dinner. I'll send it to you after I finish Part IV.

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**The Cantharans were peaceful, happy with what they had, until the Boodan Virus. It was the Boodan Virus which caused their militaristic, expansionistic behaviour. A typically Salrilian ploy, I might add.

Actually, they were peaceful and happy with what they had until the Boodan Civil War, where the Salrilian supported zealots took over. Why the virus was created and why they follow it around is a mystery. This is straight from Admiral G.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

Actually, they were peaceful and happy with what they had until the Boodan Civil War, where the Salrilian supported zealots took over. Why the virus was created and why they follow it around is a mystery. This is straight from Admiral G.

So the Boodan Virus did cause some kind of change in behaviour, to start a civil war. But still, the point stands. Until it hit, they were peaceful. After that, possibly ridden with Salrilian loyalist cells, possibly due to some fundemental behavioural shift- They went expansionistic.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

No, the Cantharans were peacefull (their faction was known as the Cantharan Star League). Anyways, The Star League's purpose was to unite the many far-flung and disparate civilisations of the galaxy. The Boodans (a Cantharan Province) didn't like the idea of this so they rose up and rebelled. The Boodan Civil War began.

The Cantharans bonded together and managed to win the war by bombing Boodan Planets with virus-saturated asteroids, thus infecting entire worlds with this artificial virus. Anyways, the Cantharans won, but (like the Confederates in EV) the elite and powerfull leaders, who had been in charge during wartime, were reluctant to give up their power. The Cantharan Government became corrupt and the Star League broke up (because of military rule in times of peace) but still the provinces maintained communications with each other.

The Cantharan Order (the most powerfull province) began bullying smaller provinces (such as Bazidan, like in level 14) into getting what they wanted. When their belligerance and corruption began disrupting trade routes, the Provinces of Ishima and Elejee broke off their political relations to Cantharis.

The Cantharan Crusades began (around this time is when the Ishimans warned the Humans, who then launched the Apollo).as the Cantharan Order began subjugating other provinces (such as Gaitor and Audemedon (actually, The Salrilians subjugated the Audemedons and gave them as a gift of goodwill to Cantharis))

The Cantharans then conquered Sol (or Prebeis, as the Cantharans called it), leaving only a few Human colonies remaining; the Ishimans, led by the Ares/Apollo, throw an attack deep into Cantharan Space and liberate Earth, beginning the collapse of the order.

phew! That was long

Sounds pretty acurate. Except for this:

**(actually, The Salrilians subjugated the Audemedons and gave them as a gift of goodwill to Cantharis))

The Auds. are the elite guard of the Salrilians. They're one of the main componants of The Prophets' power. The Cantharans wouldn't dare raise a weapon against them. They are quite a potent terror weapon.

------------------

Originally posted by Sargatanus:
**The Auds. are the elite guard of the Salrilians. They're one of the main componants of The Prophets' power. The Cantharans wouldn't dare raise a weapon against them. They are quite a potent terror weapon.

Exactly. Do you know why they serve as the Salrilians' Elite Guard?
The Audemedons are sort of 'shared' by the Salrilians and the Cantharans. Why else would there be Audemedon ships taking orders (yes, following the Cantharan ships around, I checked the scripting in Hera) from Cantharans in level 18?

I remember Admiral Grammaticus (gurlee mann) mentioning something about the Salrilians Dominating the Audemedons.

AARRGGHH!!! SOME ASS HAS REGISTERED UNDER THE NAME OF NOTHING!!!

this is not good for my anger

The Auds weren't exactly dominated. There was no way the Salrilians could have taken them over without heavy casualties. So they assimilated them by hacking their central consciousness with the Oracular Net. And I don't think it's a joint control with the Cantharans. More like the Sals give them a unit or two from time to time to help with a fight.

As for the name thing, that really pisses me off. The same thing happened to me during the old AC days. Just think of something else and register it.

------------------

I know. I check some of the old posts and.... Admiral Sargatanus? s######

So what would you suggest? I don't want to register because then I'd have new priveledges that honestly I can't handle.

Originally posted by No thing:
**Admiral Sargatanus? s######

shuddup

So what would you suggest? I don't want to register because then I'd have new priveledges that honestly I can't handle.

Well if you don't register, then whoever registered 'Nothing' will probably register any name you think of. I only suggested it to save on a lot of frustration. If you chose not to register, you've got a couple of options:

1. Start using Commadore Ambrose again, at the risk of public shunning.

2. Continue using an unregistered name at the risk of someone registering any alias you think of.

Should you chose the latter, please pick something better than 'No thing.' It just dosen't sound/look right

------------------