The Secret of House Vella

Prologue

Just an idea I had floating around my head...this story prologue is based on the universe as if a player had finished NOVA playing the Auroran storyline. It's very short, but I wanted to write it down before I forgot it. There will be a story following it, don't worry.

Cheers,
Guapo

--------------------------------------------------

War without end had become unfashionable in the 12th century of the Hyperspatial Era. The Interregnum that occurred after the collapse of the Hypergate Network was almost intolerable for all concerned. A thousand years of civil war caused untold damage to humanity's culture and advancement.

So when the Aurorans under KalHallarn managed to unify humanity in a brilliant campaign of politics and military brilliance, the known Universe rejoiced as a new era of peace and harmony was ushered in. With the end of hostilities, people from Holpa Station, Kelar 'Iy, Evlei and Cornwall celebrated as never before. Peace was at hand. The future of humanity seemed bright. The Vell-Os had passed on, true, but humanity as a whole wished them well and got on with the Universe as it was, with all the limitations that three dimensions had.

And for thirty years all was well. But with the death of KalHallarn in 1241, things began to unravel. Parties and factions formed, each certain that they knew best humanity's course. Many people soon realized that KalHallarn's vision for a united humanity was only possible while men and women such as KalHallarn led them. Sadly, his son, KalRazzan, was not such such a man. And by 1245 the system KalHallarn had set up was in shambles.

While KalRazzan led the 'united' species of human, the appearance of unity still remained. Most worlds still respected KalRazzan, the Little Fox, if for no other reason than that he was the son of KalHallarn, the Little Wolf. But respect was a long way away from instant cooperation and enthusiastic participation. The Seven Houses of Humanity soon found that a thousand years of bloodlust could not be forgotten in a generation. Many men and women in the Auroran Empire remembered that their fathers and mothers had been important figures in the Empire's predecessors. Not all of them were willing to let the dead past be forgotten. Power plays, intrigue, assassinations, and politics soon achieved a peak not seen in decades. And through these efforts, (some refined, some clumsy) Known Space soon resembled nothing more than a prehistoric 'powder keg', awaiting what old timers called 'the spark'.

In 1245 KalRazzan stepped down as Thurokiir of the Auroran Empire.

And all Hell broke loose.

This post has been edited by ElGuapo7 : 12 June 2005 - 04:13 PM