EV/EVO Chronicles: Recreation: Part Two

“They’ve launched two Zidagar Fighters and they’re heading toward us! ETA two minutes fifty-five seconds!” yelped the now-panicked Cameron.
“Stay calm! Jared, search the database for any passwords!” responded Jim. Jared then prepared to search the main database of the Defiant, which held everything from gossip to recipes.
“Computer. Search for Zidagar in all categories. Display results in monitor 63B.” Jared then told the computer.
“Searching.” responded the precise voice of the computer. After a second, it spoke again. “Search complete. Sixty-three articles found. Displaying list.”
“Hmm. Gossip, gossip, newsnet, rumor, gossip, newsnet,” said Jared as he looked at each item. “Newsnet, gossip, United Earth communique... wait! That’s it!” continued Jared. The console beeped as he selected the communique. Then he read it aloud. “To all United Earth vessels communicating with the Zidagar. From John Grounder , United Earth ambassador to the Zidagar. Please note that due to a false UE ship attacking ZSS Forever, all ships must say the following when you are contacted by a Zidagar ‘ All hail the chief. Your engineer’s name is dead.’ For example, if your engineer was Joe Smith, you would say ‘All hail the chief. Joe Smith is dead.’ Over and out.”
“Okay, let’s try it. Send the message ‘All hail the chief. Erik Carian is dead.’ ” said Jim.
“Hello? I am NOT dead? Hello?” cried Erik through the intercom.
“I’ll explain later, Erik,” replied Jim.
“They’re calling off the fighters!” cried Cameron. “Yahoo! And,” he added a moment later, they’re allowing us to land!”

The Defiant’s stay on Zidagar was short. The crew members quickly found a phase modulator, and after spending a modest amount of credits, were able to get it. But the quickly learned they were not welcome with open arms, so to speak, so after a few days, they left, heading back towards United Earth space.

On the way back, Erik found a way to hook up the phase modulator to the sensors, and all the tests showed it was working perfectly.

“We have entered the Yandros system! The phase modulator is getting a clear lock. The U.S.S Perpendicular is in the Pokeron system. Initiating hyperlock!” said Jared as the ship once more fled into hyperspace.

As the Defiant entered the Pokeron system, a system with a small, cold sun, alarms blared.
“Report!” yelled Jim.
“Okay, well,” said Cameron, “Yikes! Sensors are reading the Perpendicular disabled, with twenty five frigates and ten cruisers, that’s one-zero, surrounding it. They outguns us at..”
“Never mind!” cut in Jim. “Fire only when someone gets too close. Jared, get us to the Perpendicular!”
“Aye, aye, sir!” yelled the rest of the crew. The Defiant crept towards the Perpendicular. Voinian rockets hit it occasionally, but the Defiant maneuvered around the worst of the attacks. All was relatively fine, until...
“Jared! We’re heading for that Frigate! Move us!” cried Jim.
“I can’t! The pilot’s stick failed me! I was about to try an emergency shutdown!” responded Jared, with sweat glistening in his hair.
“Okay, if you absolutely have to!” responded Jim reluctantly.
“Okay, wait! It doesn't work! Estimated time to impact, five seconds! Four! Three! Two! One!” yelled Jared. Then, the rest of the Voinian fleet watched as the Defiant hit the Voinian Frigate, and broke apart. The Frigate barely avoided the same fate, spinning out of control.

“Where am I?” asked Jim as he awoke slowly.
“Wherre, whyy, whhatt, whenn, why an’ howww?” slurred Erik. The rest of the crew sleepily agreed, slowly waking up.
“Don’t hurry, now! You have time!” replied a human voice, then muttered “Five minutes, and twenty... one seconds to be exact.” Jim opened his eyes and saw an United Earth captain standing in front of the crew. In front of him was some equipment, and beyond him... , nothing, except a bulkhead far in the distance. He reached for the captain, and the captain smiled and said “Oh, don’t touch me. I’m a holographic projection. I am on the Perpendicular, transmitting to you here. Your ship is behind you. This ship is a demonstration of what our sensor unit can do, coupled with some energy converters. Oh, and your engine is being repaired as we speak. The sensor is recreating a new fusion coil. Your old one broke down.” Jim looked behind him and saw his ship, battered and pitted, but still there.
“What’s the time limit for?” Jim asked.
“Outside, we put on a little show. What the Voinians saw was your ship crashing into this one, and this one is spinning out of control. Actually, we are spinning towards the Perpendicular. In about four minutes, we will reach the ship, and the plan is for the frigate to disappear, and you in your ship to rescue our crew and the sensor unit, then get out of here. All of the frigates are ours but ten, and seven of the cruisers.”
“Sounds good,” said Jim, and waited.

In a few minutes, the crew felt a tremor. The captain flickered once and disappeared, and the ship became transparent. The Perpendicular was nothing but debris. One piece went through the bulkhead and stopped.
“It’s the sensor array! Amazing!” cried Erik after a moment.
“Let’s grab it and get out of here!” yelled Jim. The crew agreed.

The Defiant’s engines started up perfectly, and the crew quickly jumped out of hyperspace, leaving the confused fleet behind them, and headed for Earth.

The crew of the Defiant were now heroes. McPherson gave them their pay, and expressed regret about the crew’s fate. UE Newsnet did a special story on “The Brave Crew of the Defiant” and the civilians loved them too.

“I’m glad it’s over, but I’m sad about the crew,” said Jim.
“Yeah, me too. What’s next, Jimmy?” asked Bob.

THE END

(This message has been edited by moderator (edited 07-12-2001).)

Finally a new story. 😄

Pretty good, little short but apart from that its good.

---Burning cow---

------------------

Yes. about time there's a new story

------------------
You have been overriden by Overrider. Prepare to die evil scum! -Me
rookie's smiles:
(url="http://"http://www.ezboard.com/help/help_howto_useemoticons.html")Cool Smiles(/url)
(url="http://"http://community.theunderdogs.org/smiley/gallery.htm")Cooler Smiles(/url)

A good story, nice work macmax.

I'm about to submit my own, but does it really take Ambrosia three months to process and post one? Just an observation.

- Hatch

it used to take about a month and a bit but then they changed it because loads were bieng submited now it useually takes about a month but as the stories dont seem to be being updated every 5 days but every ten days. (Well that was the gap between Escape Velocity story and Recreation) it could take up to two months. :frown:

still you might aswell submit them but EVN will have porbably reached release by the time they are put on the sight 😄

---Burning cow---

------------------

That was a cool story, even though I seem to have missed part one 🙂 I wrote a story and submitted it about a month ago. I have a feeling its gonna be awhile.

------------------

Point taken, but that's still a hefty wait just to get a short story up. Anyway, I'm putting the finishing touches on my little project, here.

I won't fill the collumn up with my chatter, but the story involves ground combat in the form of a commando raid, an aspect of EV(O) that I haven't seen too much of. I'll leave yall to look forward to it (hopefully), and shed some more light while Ambrosia processes my work.

- Hatch

Thanks for all of the nice words, guys. Finally, this is up! I gave up on it. 🙂 Rebel, I can send you part one if you want. I even made some titles for this. It was the longest Writing Workshop project in my AG class. 🙂 Sorry it's too short. I like the size. My teacher was like, "It's okay! Now let me read other peoples stuff!". :-). Anyone read my other story, the Miranu? Anyone this this one's better or worse? Any other opinions?

Well, that's enough rabeling for now.

------------------
macmaxbh
"...ths mrnng," said the cabinet beside him, its words muffled.
Tomer glanced at it. "What's this?"
"Cabinet," Wedge said.