EV/EVO Chronicles: A New Age: Intro & Chapter One

For all those who love and have played EVGE, this story is based within this plug. I hope you all enjoy this.

Capt. Whitehawk

-----------------------

Introduction

It has been over fifty years since Captain Richard Coll died. He passed on, leaving the galaxy forever changed. He proved his valor in many ways, from aiding the Polaris Alliance against the Confederation and helping to save mankind from another Great War. He helped the Orion Union in preserving the balance in the Civil War by destroying a prototype ship and also helped destroy an Alien Marauder.

He proved his worth to the Artemis Group by aiding them against the uniting pirate factions and helped the Rebellion by aiding them in many secret projects, including the destruction of an old Alien battlecrusier. He aided the people of Cassiopeia in the battle against the Confederation, making sure they would never gain a permanent foothold in the Far North again. He aided the Alien Race once in an attempt to regain old technology obtained by the Confederation, thus preserving the Balance in the Civil War again. He aided the Proxmian government by tracking down a deadly criminal who had stolen very essential technology. He helped in many ways, destroying many Alien Vessels that had somehow escaped the Hyper Gate barrier and ultimately proved a major thorn in the Confederation’s side. He died well, his ship going down in battle against a force of three Alien Commandships, taking them all.

Much has changed in the years ahead. The exploration of many new stars have resulted in many new planets and a new rush had begun. There have been amazing leaps in technology, resulting in new ship designs and weapon systems as well as space travel. Rumors speak of a new core design to replace the old plasma core. The Civil War still rages on with neither side gaining little if any true ground. The Resource Wars between Cydonia and Lethe have come to a finish with both agreeing to an Alliance and settling the dispute, ending a generations long war. The Polaris Alliance has increased in size as it explored the outer regions east of their space and gaining new resources. The Orion Union has made peace, albight tentatively with the Rebellion, though skirmishes still occur.

The Proxmian government has remained secretive during the five decades though it has made deals with Levo, which has become a bustling port of commerce and major trade, protected by the Levo Police Force. This secretive place is undoubtedly still the most advanced culture in human existence.

The Confederation, a mighty empire, has seen much change during the past decades. It is now headed by the young president Jarid Martain, an ambitious and cruel man who has made many changes. The Senate is no more and many worlds bow to him in fear. The president had ordered death sentences on many dissidents and former Confed generals and admirals while he seeks to conquer more worlds. The president has become mad with power and has turned the mighty Confederation into an empire of domination and cruelty where it once stood for unity, order and protection. The Western Fringe, a place where both Confederation and Rebellion dwell tire of fighting for a corrupt leader and are thinking of leaving Confed rule. Mars is starting to talk of rebellion from Earth rule, as it has always remained loyal since the end of the Mars Revolt. Yet they no it is not possible. Yet the Confederation is beginning to feel its age; in an effort to advance in the war, Jarid has brought in all forces from Saphil and Sophila. As a result, Sophila is uninhabited to this day, with many databases still full of information, as a result of messy cleanups and has left Saphil Station to orbit lifelessly around the dead planet, operating on only the most basic life support and power reserves.

The Rebellion remains true to its cause, wishing to reunite both themselves and the Confederation and seeking to overthrow the current government and reinstate the Senate where everyone has a voice. They are led by the aging Admiral Davies, who still remembers the old days and the friendship of Capt. Coll. He knows of the dream of the captain to reunite the fighting factions in hopes of standing against Alien assault. The Rebellion holds much hope and the people dream of peace. In their time the Rebellion has gained much ground, including new planets and technology. This glorious hope shines in the darkness, but has to yet match the might of the Confederation.

The Polaris Alliance has become strong in the past fifty years, growing in size and culture as many systems have been discovered, yielding many inhabitable planets and recourses. Their fleets have grown and their population growth is amongst the biggest in the galaxy. The Polaris Alliance is headed by Admiral John Welsh, a man who had spent many of the fifty years in hyperspace, and is such younger then he should be. He holds to the thought that one day there will be peace. In its time, this government has built many ships and weapons designs. It holds to the ideal of a free rule, one the Confederation was founded to be but never reached: A government where all have a voice. This government aids the Rebellion in overthrowing the Confederation and has proven its might.

The Orion Union has also grown as well, going deeper into the galaxy and discovering its contents, fielding many planets and asteroid fields. The Union holds to the idea of trade and unity within its borders and hopes for the end of the Civil War. It has ceased its war with the Rebellion but still holds its alliance with the Confederation, although with Jarid at its head, it might not last long. They have built many ships in the past years, resulting in becoming a massive navy, both military and merchant wise. Its leader, President Martha Williams, a woman of strong will and a tactical genius, hopes to continue as the Union has always done, live out its existence by trading and protecting its people.

The Thargorian Trimutive has fallen as its people couldn’t tolerate the emperor or his lords any more. In an startling revolt, the people and slaves fought as many warships appeared, quietly amassing for months. It crashed through the defense fleet of the capital world and demanded the emperor step down and his exile. With it came much change; slavery was ended and the system is now governed by a council of five men and women who govern fairly. They have become a major influence in trade in the Northern Expanse

The Pirates have grown in strength, and with the discovery of the many new worlds, more factions have sprung up, plaguing the trade ways. The Artemis group is not strong enough and as such much chaos reigns. However a group of mercenaries has banded together with the cause of stamping out pirate activity. They are led by Jenna Coll, great niece of the dead Captain Coll, who follows her ancestor’s dream of protection and justice. Many rally behind her and as such the Guild is loyal and true to its cause, though not blindly. Based on the world of Sauron, these mercenaries have become effective in their fight against piracy. They have spread to the corners of the galaxy.

This is a time of high flux. It holds many opportunities and many dangers. It is a time of trade and exploration, of danger and adventure as well as death and disaster. The Confederation lies in the grip of a mad tyrant while pirates plunder innocent bystanders. Alien vessels roam the systems, destroying many without warning and heroes fight for justice. It is up to those to shape it and forge its future.

Chapter One

Two years ago

The aging shuttle descended through the atmosphere of Rinnor, its nacels going glowing through the blue sky. It came roaring towards the surface, preparing to land at Scoha Port. The ship was obsolete, decades old and considered nothing but scrap, yet it maneuvered as if it were newly built. It roared over the fields and came into view of the starport, heading towards its assigned pad. It landed with little difficulty and powered down its engines, the landing process finished.

The small hatch near the end opened and a young man stepped out. To the ordinary person, he seemed like a common spacer, maybe in his mid-twenties. Dressed in common clothing with space harden face, he mixed in with all the other people in the spaceport. At his side was a blaster, old but no doubt still useful. He walked down into the spaceport, his stride like that of a trained mercenary. His brown hair blew in the wind.

The pilot was Jason Cole, a trader and ex-militia pilot. He was here to deliver medical cargo to Rinnor Prime. Like any other deal, he ferried it planet to planet, receiving pay. Since his days as a Zaxted militia pilot three years ago, he had seen much of the galaxy. Walking down through the crowd, he headed for the Draken Nor, a bar where he was to meet his contact for his goods. After ten minutes he arrived.

The Draken was dark and loud, like any bar in this port. Catching sight of an old man near the back, he walked over there, his hand on his blaster the whole time. He had been chased by pirates for the last five jumps and he was sure they were after his cargo. Reaching the table, Cole sat down and said, “Time to pay is here.”

The old man nodded and replied, “You’re early, Capt. Cole. I wasn’t expecting you for another day or so. I take it there was no problem on the way. Pirates are bound to plague that area.” He tossed a credit chip on the table, sending it skidding over to Cole’s side. “Thirty-five as we agreed upon. Not a credit less.”

Cole picked it up and fingered it. Small Pirate fighters were a common nuisance within three jumps of Rinnor, but for the last five jumps he had been hounded by the pirates who had flown in old-class rapiers and even a Novad, a cross between rapier and corvette. This cargo shipment was more than just standard medical goods. “Yes, Pirates can be a pain. Tell me, what would a group of pirates want with standard medical goods, especially since they’ve been following me for five days. I managed to lose them in a plasma storm just a few hours ago. What the hell are in those crates.”

The old man’s face paled for a second, but he quickly recovered. Taking a sip from his drink he said, “My dear Capt. Cole, I think I know what you’re talking about. My company wishes only for those medical supplies to help the suffering of those who are sick and dying and can’t afford the treatment. Yet there are those who resent such things and try to sabotage that. Those pirates were mercenaries who were hired to prevent such a thing. I hope another sixty thousand credits would help you forget the incident.” He pulled a second chip from his coat and slid it over to Cole.

Cole eyed the credit chip. He was a successful trader, and had well over one hundred thousand in his account, but he took the chance to extend his account as much as possible. Taking the second credit chip, he placed both of them in his coat. “What incident? The cargo should be halfway offloaded by now. I hope we meet again, sir. It’s been a pleasure working for you.”

With that, the captain got up and left. Making his way to the door, he exited onto the street.

The figure slid into the cargo bay of the small vessel. He was covered from head to toe in black, and he bore a small bag, obviously heavy. The door slid shut behind him and the intruder looked about; no one was in here, but the left airlock was opened. It must be break, thought the figure as he walked through the cargo isles. None of the cargo had been offloaded, and the figure seemed relieved as it would make his job easier.

Kneeling down, he unshouldered the bag and reached into its depths to pull something out. He pulled out a small circular object with one side flat and the other with a counter and small console on it. Placing it on a cargo container, he moved back to the bag to pull out two more of the devices. Placing them on each of the three isles, he punched a sequence into the last one, linking them and setting a countdown of ten minutes. Turning he started to leave.

“Hey you there, stop now!” came a voice from behind the dark-clad man. Turning around he saw a young dock worker come through the airlock, a little shaky, obviously inebriated from his break. Before the dockhand come get a step closer, the dark-clad man had a blaster in his hand and was shooting off three shots. The dockhand didn’t even scream as the blasts hit him in the chest, killing him instantly. The assassin holstered his weapon and slinked out of the shuttle’s airlock without glancing back.

Cole walked down the road leading back to his ship. He couldn’t believe his luck today. Sixty-five thousand credits! It was more then he had made in a single shipment. He could upgrade his shuttle and even buy new nacels for it. The small shuttle had been his home and the only he could afford after leaving Levo’s militia. Granted, it was old but it had proven useful in the time ahead. Now a days the Cydin Mk. III Shuttle proved more useful since two decades ago, when it offered weaponry and more cargo space as well as durability and speed. But Cole felt proud of what he had accomplished with his ship in the last two and a half years.

His thoughts drifted back to his days as a fighter pilot aboard the Mercury, an Antidona-class Condor Mk. IV in the service of the Zaxted System Militia, even though he was born on Denali. He had flown in an old class Defender, a ship long out of production but still able to keep its own. He had left that life behind altogether and never wished to go back.

Walking down the port to his ship, Cole was glad to have the deal over with. Tomorrow he would come back and check the mission kiosks for any good opportunities for this sector of space. Besides he hadn’t had a descent sleep in days due to the damned pirates. The cargo should be almost offloaded by now. He would have a good sleep and something to eat as well. When he neared the pad where his ship was, he was thrown from his feet as the ground shook and a huge explosion sounded. Looking to see what was happening, the captain saw flames billowing up.

He was on his feet in seconds, rushing towards the pad. What the hell was that, thought Cole. He weaved through the streets, trying not to hit anyone as he went. The blast was close to his shuttle and he didn’t like it. He reached the edge of the port where a large crowd had gathered, when he saw the flames burning where his ship had been. Cursing Cole went closer before being stopped by a port militia captain.

“Hold it, sir. This area is quarantined for now. Please, step back with the rest of the people,” said the officer.

Cole replied, “That’s my ship that’s on fire, Captain. I have every right to be up there. Now please let me through before I have charges of assaulting an officer on my record.”

The burly guard’s eyes narrowed. “Your ship, eh. Well now it’s a burnt out crater. Sir, I have to ask you a few questions. Who are you?”

Cole looked at the guard in disbelief. Damn them. “I am Jason Cole, captain of the shuttle Wayward, ex-militia pilot of Zaxted, rank of Lt. Colonel, serial no. 2349901. Now let me through.”

The officer ignored him and continued, “What cargo were you carrying and who hired you to carry it? Have you had this problem before ” The officer never finished as Cole’s fist found a target in the man’s nose, knocking him to the ground and unconscious. Cole took off running almost instantly, rushing towards the pad and his ship. He stopped a few yards from it as the heat was nearly unbearable.

Looking through the flames, he saw his ship. The shuttle was wholly consumed in the blazing inferno, and little was left. The cargobay was gone and the cockpit was blackened and glowing red, melting away bit by bit. Cole’s face held anguish as he saw his ship, his home burning and he helpless to stop it. All his things were in there, his whole life. Now it was gone.

Cole felt a hand on his shoulder. “Sir if you will come with me. We have a few more things to discuss.” Taking a last look, he turned around and was led away through the crowd. In the distance, he could hear the alarms of fire patrols. Two and a half years down the drain.

Another new story! Humanity rejoices!

Nice beginning, Captain. The intro sets up a coherent backdrop, and the writing is sound throughout. But shouldn't Cole have been a bit suspicious when his client paid him so handsomely to forget about the pirates and their unexpected attention? Well, I suppose he's got plenty of time to be suspicious now. I look forward to following him through the next few installments.

I enjoyed EV Game Expander; it's great to see a fictional work in that setting. Have there been any others set in the EVGE universe? For that matter, have there been many stories based on any plugs?

------------------
PlanetPhil
world keeps turning