EV/EVO Chronicles: The Tides of War - A preview

(Posted 05-18-2000)

The Tides of War

Chapter 1

Sitting on the edge of Voinion space, the United Earth Ship Constitution glided silently through the emptiness. A lone star winked at Admiral Hyde as he glared out of the bridge window into the blackness. A movement in the window caught his attention, and he realised that it was only his reflection. He took a moment to straighten his lapels, brush a piece of dust from his coat, and admire his large collection of medals. The years had been good for Admiral Hyde, he was now 48, but he didn’t look a day older than 38, with jet black hair that would slowly turn into a distinguished silver. He was one of the most powerful men in the Galaxy, with a seat on the UE High Council and documents that let him into almost any area of any planet. That was thanks to his position as official liaison with the Strand Worlds. He was also an accomplished tactician and warrior. His many medals were displayed across his impeccable white uniform like the front window of a Jeweler's shop, arranged carefully around the emblem of UE High Command, a spinning globe surrounded by eight stars, representing all the council members. Above the spinning globe was a pair of hands holding a scroll, the emblem of the UE diplomatic corps.

It all seemed so pointless now though. he had accomplished almost every achievement possible for a United Earth officer, he was happily married with two sons attending the New Tokyo University of Law, one of which was married with a pregnant wife, plus having financial security in the seventeen million credits that he had sitting in the bank. As he stared into the emptiness of the void of space, he wondered why a man would be driven to such measures. He had worked up from the bottom of the pile, a mere farm boy on a dusty planet, scrimping and saving until he had enough money to attend the United Earth military school, where he quickly learned that it wasn’t how good you were, it’s how good you thought you were. It would only take a second of doubt in your confidence and you would be picked apart by the various officials that were instructed to teach you the ways of a UE soldier.

He had won his way up the ranks though, until his very own ship was his to command, a United Earth Carrier. It was his job to provided support for other capital ships during the great war, and as his ship was only one of ten others, so he often saw action on the front. His one of the ships that broke the blockade the Voinions had erected between UE space and Outpost Alpha, it was one of his fighters that fired the final shot that destroyed the Voinion Flagship and it was his personal shuttle that provided support for the marines that took part in the Desert Storm operation on Huron, the list goes on. His CV read like an officers dream, every statistic polished to perfection.

“We’re in position Admiral. We will commence testing on your mark.” his musings were interrupted by a young lieutenant that had appeared next to him. He could remember when he himself was in that position. young and willing to learn.

“Very well lieutenant, lets see what these ships can do. Bring the fighters around to Mark Seven-Nine-Three.” His voice floated across the bridge even though he was speaking at a normal level. A technique he had perfected some years ago.

A second later, five United Earth fighters roared past the bridge, letting the senior officers get a glimpse of the logos and symbols emblazoned on the hulls of Alpha Wing. Each ship had pictures of Voinion ships painted down the side of the fusilage, indicating the number of kills they had received over the years. One of the ships had a Voinion Dreadnaught taking up most of the hull. The fighters sped down the length of the ship, until they reached the desired point, where they manouvered into battle formation.

“Fighters at Mark Seven-Nine-Three.” reported the Sensor officer in a matter of fact tone.

“Good” commented the Admiral. He didn’t expect any less from his fighter wing, but he said encouraging statements to keep moral high. “Lets put the prototype at mark five-eight-six.”

With barely a detectable hum, a strange looking fighter buzzed over the top of the bridge. Instead of the standard assembly of most UE fighters, it had a tri-wing manouvering system the Admiral had devised himself. Three wings would connect to the main body of the ship, allowing easier piloting of the ship and a higher top speed. The main body of the ship was sleak and stream-lined, a long nose glided back into a tiny cockpit where jet black glass stopped anyone outside of the ship from looking in. Fixed slightly above the cockpit was a UE standard Blaze turret, and two ominous looking missile tubes were running down both sides of the hull. The ship quickly decreased from top speed to a standstill in a matter of seconds, where it came to rest at the desired point. All was silent on the bridge for a few seconds while the Admiral let the impact of the fighter sink in on the crew.

“Give me a line to the fighters” he said, breaking the deathly quiet with a whisper to the comm-officer.

“Comm-line open.” The officer reported

“This is your Captain speaking, how are you doing, boys?”

A crackly voice echoed around the bridge as the lead fighter replied. “We’re fine, thank you very much sir. I was just saying to the boys, I’m gonna have to get me one of them!”

“There’s plenty of time for that later, Commander. Lets get down to business, I would like you to attack that fighter with all you’ve got,” the Admiral ordered.

“Attack it sir? Secondary weapons an’ all?”

“You heard me soldier.”

“Okay sir.” the captain replied, before switching the comm button over and opening a channel to his surrounding fighters. “You heard the man boys, much as I hate to do it, but lets fry this baby.” The fighter pilot flicked off the safety on his weapons and muttered under his breath. “Here goes nothing!”

The electric roar of his blaze cannons muffled his thoughts as he jammed his finger down onto the primary trigger. Long bolts of pure energy arched forward from the five ships towards the lone fighter. Hitting a switch above his head, the captain of the fighter smiled and engaged his secondary weapons. The familiar yellow blur of a homing missile sped out from under him as the first few shots began to reach the fighter. As if someone had just kicked it into life, the lone fighter began twisting and turning, spinning were it stood. First it jinxed right, then left, then looped upwards sending the homing missile wayward. After corkscrewing down around another homing missile the fighter barrel rolled towards the five fighters. Weaving around them, forcing them to stop firing in case they hit each other. The fighter then sharply turned back to its original starting position, where it once again came to a standstill. The test had finished.

Back on the bridge, the Admiral allowed a tight smile before glancing towards his sensor pit. “Damage report on the prototype fighter.” He knew the results; he just wanted to let the rest of the crew find out.

“Shield Status at one hundred percent, hull has taken no damage,” the junior officer reported in an awe-filled statement.

Whispers whipped around the bridge as the Admiral allowed himself another smile. “Congratulations gentlemen, the test is successful.”

(This message has been edited by moderator (edited 05-18-2000).)

(This message has been edited by the Necromicon (edited 02-16-2002).)

I like it so far, can't wait to read more...

------------------

Same here, though I wonder if it is a little too perfect (the fighter).

------------------
-Shade

"Americans want their cheese dead."
-NY Times Magazine

"Some people call magazines mags, some call 'em zines, so I just call them gazs."

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

Very observant Shade, your questions will be answered around chapter 10, so unless you can guess, then your going to have to wait

------------------
"...but I was very, very drunk at the time..." - Someone, somewhere.

"You guys line up alphabetically by height." - Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach

Very, very good. Right on the mark descriptive-wise. It's straight and to the point. If I were to compare this with the first chapter of my story called A Hidden Legacy I would say that this is better. Keep it up.

I can't wait to see what they use this new fighter for!

Thank you very much Jake, it's comments like that, that keep me writing this story.

------------------

"You guys line up alphabetically by height." - Bill Peterson, Florida State football coach

Originally posted by the Necromicon:
**Very observant Shade, your questions will be answered around chapter 10, so unless you can guess, then your going to have to wait

Hmm... It's only a hologram? 😉

------------------
-Shade

"Americans want their cheese dead."
-NY Times Magazine

"Some people call magazines mags, some call 'em zines, so I just call them gazs."

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

hehe, nope guess again...

------------------

Perhaps, it has some sort of special sheilding technology that allows for a phenomonal recharge rate? 🙂

------------------

Nope, guess again...

------------------

erm.. It's fast? 😉
-Gav

---------------------------------------------------
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

I AM A GOD! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
What the F*** are you on, pal?-Gav

I have a very, very Bad Temper, so don't mess with me, or I'll F*** you up so bad.

Is it from another dimention(The fighter)? 😕

Just a comment, not an insult, but in EV pictures the captain of the spaceship wears a skin-tight blue-black jumpsuit. Also, I think there is nothing special about the fighter, but maybe a special fighter-Adzgari?

I like it. Keep writing! 🙂

------------------

Originally posted by Jack:
Just a comment, not an insult, but in EV pictures the captain of the spaceship wears a skin-tight blue-black jumpsuit. Also, I think there is nothing special about the fighter, but maybe a special fighter-Adzgari?

Your quite correct jack, but my story is based on Escape Velocity: Ovverride, and in my opinion the UE captains wear Star Wars style uniforms (ie. grey uniforms for the lower ranks and white uniforms for the high council and older admirals).

------------------
Oh, I'm sorry. Did that break your concentration?
I didn't mean to do that.
Please, continue.
I believe you were saying something about "best intentions."
-Jules. Pulp Fiction

"He must have made that before he died."
- Yogi Berra (on seeing a Steve McQueen movie)

I know why the fighter is perfect. Its shields are in temporal disarray, making it impossible for the other fighters' weapons to lock on to it. Right?

------------------
"All will bow before the Icelandic Emperor."

"Join the Icelandic Coalition -- or be killed!" Someone should understand that.

I think it has a Temporal Accelirater on it that makes time apper to go slower for the pilot in the fighter so he can dodge all the missles that are shot at him.

------------------
U.E. Lovers Are Ignorant Of True Power.