EV/EVO Chronicles: Jade's Return-Chapters 6 & 7

(Posted on 07-11-2000)

Chapter 6-Lost Again

I looked over at the communication's console, which had short circuited during the intense battle. Then I looked over at Greg. He obviously did not care for the fact that I probably took out chunks of those alien ships going into hyperspace so close to them. Even though I didn't do it for thanks, thank was always nice.

"I know what you're thinking, Doc," Greg said as he was working on the commlink. "It's not true that I'm not grateful for what you did back there, I am very grateful. It's just that judging by the ships' weapons I'm just thinking of what their shields could be like."

I was undeniably stunned by what he had said. We had only just now found a big fat clue on why Jade was running, and hiding, but at the same time we had no idea if Jade was still in the system back at Leita or with us near Mira, or in one of the surrounding systems. Either way, those aliens probably had something to do with the Igadrza. I hadn't heard all of what he had mentioned, but in my soul, heart, and mind I knew deep down that something was most definatly wrong.

"It's going to take hours to fix this," Greg reported. "I'm about to reactivate the gravity, hold tight."

I grabbed one arm of Greg's pilot chair, and slowly placed my feet on the ground. I felt the gravity kick in, as the wieght pressed down on me. It felt wierd at first, but only at first. Both of us touched the ground, and then we felt uneasy because the ship was still spinning torward Mira.

"This isn't good, when are we going to be able to fix this and regain control."

"I don't know, Doc. Here, hit the button for the left power conduit."

I walked over across the ship, which had been making me feel dizzy, and I literally stumbled over to the console. As the ship spun out of control, I could barely keep myself from throwing up.

When I finally hit the button, the ship stabilized and leveled out. I sat down in Greg's pilot chair, and hunched over, kneeling over my seat. I groaned, my stomach swirling in sickness.

"Don't celebrate yet, and don't throw up yet, either."

"Why?" I replied, irritated.

He pointed to the viewscreen, and I followed his finger. My eyes widened, and my hopes sank as I saw four of their black fighters cruising sleekly toward us at their max speed. I looked back to the targeting computer, which was next to me, and saw the terrifying truth. They had warped in, to follow us.

"What the hell is going on, Detective? Who are these freaks? What do they want?"

"I don't know!" He cried in frustration, as a green pulsating laser hit us on the port side.

I immediately jumped over to the detective's chair, sat down, and buckled the safety belt. Then I grabbed the accelerator, and the joystick, and we spilled out forward into the melee of the vicious fighters. They all split up in different directions, their engines making a vortex-like sound that resembled the warped version of sounds of water.

I looked to Grissom, who was not in one bit mood to deal with them, but instead he went to the targeting computer, and we started manervuering through their green blasts.

"Perfect!" I chirped in sarcasim as I saw that the scanner indicated that there was 4 of them.

I swiveled in between them as their watery engines rode by with a sound that made my hearing completely out of tone. It was weird what the sound was doing, but I knew that it was doing something. Almost like being directly behind a Crescent Warship as it was lighting it's engines at full power. A strange sensation went through me, and my vision began to blur. The ship began to go off course to the Miranu home planet, and began spinning out of control. Greg had strapped himself to a console, but was flying through the ship, practically, as it jerked and swerved. He hit every wall, deflecting the impact, and softening it with his arms. I could barely care about what was happening right now, because all I was worried about was staying completly in focus.

"Aaaaaauuuuugggghhhhh!!!" I screamed as I went into a raging fury of photon blasts that went random directions as the ship span out of control, one or two blasts would hit one of the strange fighters, but the sensation kept ripping up my clear thought. Then finally with all of my anger, rage, and adrenaline, I caught sight of one of the fighter's engines. It was the closest fighter, and it was not firing. My teeth clenched I hit the SAD launch button, and the Arada burst the reassuring modules into space torward the relentless fighter.

With yet another warped sound, the ship went into flames. I glanced to Greg whom was wounded, yet at the console, he hit a single button which I could not tell what it was. However, finally, I grabbed the accelerator, turned the ship around, using very careful and jerky movements with the turning jets. The other two fighters finally finished circling and waiting for the destroyed one to capture us, and roared into our direction.

"This isn't getting any better."

"I'm glad you were able to take out that one," Greg said, struggling to retain conciousness. He too, was most likely feeling the strange sensation. It was over now, because of the strange fact that I had managed to overcome the sensation, but he had as well. But that was the least of the celebration.

"Hang on!" I yelled, as the ship turned around. I hit the accelerator and the ship went blowing to top speed. Barely hanging on to the controls I closed my eyes, and began to pray. The green blasts went pulsating right past the ships wing tips.

To our thanking of the Lord, several Zachit fighters zoomed past us and began attacking the alien ships. I hit a green button labeled "A" and the afterburner lit up. We broke through the Mira atmosphere only moments later. Spaceport tractor beams layed our ship down and slowed us from the dangerous speed that we entered in. Our shields gone, our armor skimmed. We were lucky to live.

Even though the long range tractor beams had slowed us down, the ship was trashed. The consoles disconnected and on the floor, my head was dizzy. Sparks bursted out of the damaged enternal sections. I looked over to Greg. He was badly hurt. His leg had been cut on something and blood seeped from his cold, raw, dirty flesh.

"Next time, I drive."

"There was nothing I could do," I said, breathing heavily. "I'm sorry detective."

He moaned, trying to get up. Then he limps over to the hatch. To both his surprise and mine, a red light flashed next to the door. He pressed a button and it opened making a ramp as the door came down. A Miranu medic walked in, followed by several different people including more medics, repairmen, and mechanics. Not only that but an entire security squad was waiting outside.

"What happened?!" The first medic cried. "What did this?"

"We. . .don't know. They. . .warped in, followed us. . ." and with that, the detective fainted. I sat up against the side of a broken console. I looked to Greg, then to all of the people around. The medic took me by the shoulders and helped me up. I fell asleep, hoping they wouldn't make it through, hoping they wouldn't come for me. I was now hoping, like Jade most likely was, that they would stop the chase. It was now that I realized, what courage really was, and how useless it was to this point. These were merciless high tech Igadzra. . .or so I thought.

Chapter 7-Not Over Yet

I awoke in a bed, most likely in either a nearby hospital or one that was located inside the spaceport. My leg was wrapped in a large bandage and my head was now completely clear. A doctor walked in, holding a holo-chart in one hand, and a galactic translator in the other.

"You are in less condition that we could have thought. However, that is the least of our worries," the translator said in a deep voice.

"What do you mean?"

"The aliens that attacked you destroyed our fighters, and are currently orbiting the planet, waiting for their large amount of shields to regenerate. Here, take this pill," the translator requested. He was, of course saying things in his own language first. He then handed me the pill with one of his two tentacles.

I took it, and plopped it into my mouth. I swallowed it. I got up and then took off the blanket that I had on me. I looked around the room to find several different beds. Each one for a different species. There was three of them, one for human, which was the one I was on, one for Miranu, and one for Zidagar. I wondered why they had a bed for that species, but I suppose isolated ones which were traders or something probably needed help every now and then.

However, I very briefly thought about this, and then turned my attention to the fact that those fighters were waiting for their shields to regenerate and enter the atmosphere.

"How's my friend?"

"He's doing better than expected, he won't be able to walk for about a day, but he'll be alright."

"But, the aliens are after me and him!"

"True, but we have that situation under control."

"You're lying! You haven't seen what these things are capable of, they took out 15 ZACHIT FIGHTERS, YOU DUMB FOOL!" I yelled in irritation. This doctor was getting to be extremly annoying. He had no idea what this race was truely capable of. They were thought to be Igadzra, but I had my doubts. Even they might not be able to do such a thing like a saw in Lieta.

I ran to the door, and the doctor got a surprised look on his face. A secruity chief approached me in curiousity. I tried to ignore him, but he spoke up in my native tongue.

"You don't know who you're dealing with."

Suddenly, I turned back to him. I faced him, and gave him a question glance. Then I, too, began to speak.

"Do you know what these ships are capable of?"

"As a matter of fact, yes I do. And that sensation you felt--"

"How did you know I had a feeling?"

"We could tell by the analisys of your brain waves."

"Oh. . .well what about it?"

"The engines of those craft have a strange porportion and type of radiation that humans can barely withstand."

"I see. I need a gun."

"I need to see a license."

"I don't have one, I'm a ship captain, but these freaks. . .once they land, they will try to kill me and my friend. Look, I know it's against regulations, and rules, but you have to. Your sqaud or you protecting me might get slaughtered. If I make a terrorist out of myself, then just kill me. So please, I need a gun."

The chief sighed. He took a deep breath, and then looked down to the ground. A troubled look spanned his face. He looked to me and ground several times, thinking about his decision. Then, he reached around and brought out a handgun. He handed it to me.

"58 shots. Use them carefully."

"Thank you. I shall remember you for this. Now, which room is my friend in?"

"Follow me."

He began walking back down the hall that I came from. He passed several doors, and th lights in the hallway were brightly lit. The walls a white, yet not painted finished, had a rough metal texture. Then he finally stopped at a room, and looked to me.

"This is it."

He hit a button and it opened with the same old hiss. From here, there was something unexpected. The room was empty, no Greg, no doctor, not even any beds. It was an empty room.

"Are you sure this--"

My words were cut off by me feeling the barrel of a rapid fire photon gun to my back. My eyes turned a teary red, and my teeth clinched. My hands went to fists. I felt the handgun be removed from my back pocket.

"Hands up, human."

"Damn you."

I put my hands up slowly. Then when they were about level with my head, I jerked them around jumping doing a full 360. Both arms hit the machine gun. 4 shots fired off, followed by a spin-kick to the Miranu's head. The machine gun slid accross the hall. Sounds of several Miranu officers and doctors shouting came from rooms and halls several kilometers away. The lights shut off, becoming nearly pitch black.

"You're working for them. You must have been involved in Jade's project as well! Go to hell!"

I picked up the machine gun, but not in time to stop his two tentacles from grabbing me and sending me down the garbage shoot. Holding the machine gun with all of my grip, I slid down backwards keeping my aim steady. His head peeked over and I fired. A green blast game from the gun, much like what the alien guns had looked like. It lit up the shoot, and I saw his head spill blood as I went sliding down.

Finally I landed into a pile of medical waste. Bags and bags of it were piled up. I looked around and saw that there was nearly no way out, unless I could climb. So, I grab held of one of the shafts. I had a long way to go to a level where they could not find me. I took the machine gun strap and set it hanging on my shoulder.

As I climbed, I thought about the security chief, or now I should call him the traitor. When he was looking down and to me over and over, he was most likely thinking of what he was planning on doing. Althought none of this mattered, he was dead now, I still had to think about who I should trust, and what things were like back at my ship, Surmount.

I began thinking about how Jake was most likely on the recreation deck, enjoying old-style arcade games. Then I thought about Kino. He was most likely in the bridge, at a bar, or practicing fighting techniques.

Finally, I thought about Jade, almost to the top now, I was trying to get into a shaft to start crawling up. Jade was probably nearly scared just as much as I was. Although I was a lot more adult-like than I used to be, I still wished I actually was a child. I wouldn't have to worry about all of this. Also, I was right then and there Jade was even trying to think of a desperate way to make a counter attack, or get Docmother, or perhaps the Karticel to help. But how could he get to the eastern part of space where they were located without running into those aliens or the Igadzra?

I got to the top of the shaft, and crawled into what seemed like the shipyard. Crescent Warhips stood out in the distance, and Greg's Arada was being repaired. Even now, I avoided the repairmen and the ship itself. I had to find a way to reach Greg before he was killed by these undercover ingrates.

My thoughts were suddenly and unpleasantly cut off by an Igadzra jumping straight down from out of no where and knocking the machine gun out of my hand. Then he picks me up and throws me. My stomach lurches as I fly through the air, and hit the ground, sliding. My arm scraped, and blood visible, I looked to him.

Yellow and red, his body huge, two times the size of mine. With all of my strength, and adrenaline pumping I gave him an unexpected move as he was reaching for the gun. A jump kick to his face sends him into the wall, only knocked around but not hurt. I land and then launch an all out fury of punches to the stomach of the monsterous creature.

"Heh! So you want to see what real fighting is huh?" He laughed and smiled in amusement to my attack of anger.

I stepped back, my blood boiling. I had to defeat him. The only thing I was grateful for, was the fact that he was now seeming to want to fight me with physical attacks, rather than the gun. Still, I would have thought the gun would have been easier to dodge.

Despite his huge size, he came charged at me, his huge hand picking me up my the chest, and throwing me into a wall. He ran up and kicked the gun away. By my shirt, he picks me up. He punches me once in the stomach. All of my air puffs out of me, I gasp for breath. My face turned red, and I tried to breath in more air, but he only punched me more. Finally, when I was about to faint. I was desperate. With my metal boot, I throw a deperate, yet gentle kick to him, because of my lack of strength. My foot hits his stomach. He drops me and moves back, growling.

"Ahh! You stupid human."

"You're just playing mercy!" I said, my voice gone.

He looked at me with rage. Then he pointed to me with his fat, muscular arm.

"Not all species have their genitals in the same places, you bastard!"

My air now back in my lunges, I started to laugh hysterically. I looked over to the ship, and then around me more. Over 30 people from the shipyard were watching it. The short part of the fight that had already started. My face got serious, and then I knew how little time I really had. Because this was causing so much attention, the security squads would be along any minute. Most likely wanting to kill me because I was probably framed back when I shot the Miranu traitor.

I turned to look at my gun. Then got up. He did, too, only with much more speed and much more rage. He jumped a good 20 ft, torwards me. Now, totally focused, and knowing what he was capable of, I jumped as high as I could, his face hitting the wall, cracking it. Then, with both of my feet, came down onto his head, which was annihilated by my metal boots.

I finally reached back into my belt, and took out a knife. I simply dropped the sharp weapon into his neck, and he breathed no more. With all of the corruption I had ever had in my life, I looked to the people. All of them had a shocked face at the fact that a human actually stood up to a Igadzra physically. I felt no pride, but only sorrow as I looked down and saw the Igadra purple blood gulp out of his neck. Tears streamed down my face. The child in me opened up at the sight of such distrubing violence. I kneeled down, my hands shaking, I pulled the knife out.

"Bad time for your eyes to be cleaning themselves," one Miranu said in hatred.

"You didn't get much education did you?" I said my voice shaky. "Humans are the only race that shed tears in emotional disturbance."

"Whatever!" he yelled and walked off.

"All of you. . .people, listen to--"

PILEATH! The sound of photon blast hit the nearby wall, and I looked quickly to my left. Two sqauds of 12 stood holding their guns at me. I looked to the people. They were not surprised, but some of the children were dazzled at what they were seeing. Some of them excited, some teenagers shocked.

"FREEZE!" A galactic translator voice echoed.

I held up and my hands and turned to them. Nothing could prepare me for this. No warning came at these emotions, but they were there. They were there because I was human, and I was proud of it.

(This message has been edited by moderator (edited 07-11-2000).)

Wow. Very nice, the best chapter yet, in my opinion. Can't wait for the next one.

------------------
-- Greg
-- AIM Screenname: Food Velocity
-- E-Mail: foodvelocity@mac.com
-- Website: (url="http://"http://sites.netscape.net/foodvelocity/index")http://sites.netscap...dvelocity/index(/url)
--"In the frozen bowels of hell, you will be flogged." -Greg Anderson

Jake101, you know what you need to do?

Write a book! I'm not kidden. I'm writting my own. Your writing is superb. All you need to do, is make the plot a bit thicker and complex (but I may be wrong on that) and take out any Ev-EVO related things for copyright reasons.

In fact, my own book is just in its end stages. You should put this whole story together and publish it.

Don't just post stuff on the EV Chronicles- do something that'l last forever (well, almost) with all the work you put so much time and effort in!

Well thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not ready to write a book yet. At least that's what I think. 4 more books after this are going to be made before I start work on my first published book. So you may look forward to seeing my very own new sci-fi that will be coming to stores in about 3 and a half years. lol

Besides that, this may be surprising but I'm only 12. This book is definatly my master work, but I am not going to be publishing any story like this. It might be like this, but I doubt it will take place having a character like Doc in it. Right now, I'm not really sure what exactly my 7th chapter book will be about, but I garentee you, I will be wanting to get it published and into stores.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

Jake101
Scott Lee

------------------

(This message has been edited by Jake101 (edited 07-13-2000).)

Originally posted by Some old Guy:
**Jake101, you know what you need to do?

Write a book! I'm not kidden. I'm writting my own. Your writing is superb. All you need to do, is make the plot a bit thicker and complex (but I may be wrong on that) and take out any Ev-EVO related things for copyright reasons.

In fact, my own book is just in its end stages. You should put this whole story together and publish it.

Don't just post stuff on the EV Chronicles- do something that'l last forever (well, almost) with all the work you put so much time and effort in!**

Yeah!! That would be cool!!

------------------

Well, I can tell you this much, as for me publishing the stories of A Hidden Legacy, Jades Return, and the upcoming books known as The Renegade Conspiracy, and Doc's Final Battle, all being part of the Docmother series, I'm not sure I will be able to do that. My thoughts about neogotiating with Ambrosia Software in the future about maybe possibly publishing something having to with EVO. However, even if you think this absolutely deserves to be published, I can tell you something, the chances of the four Docmother books being published are absolutely slim.

However, my only work having to do with EVO will not just be the Docmother series, UE Fighter, Jeriongi Helena, so far will not be the last. An upcoming project of mine after my 7th chapter book, will most likely be having to do with EVO, and I might get it published. More news on that later.

Also, one thing I should mention, is that although several of you out there like my EVO stories and are wanting more will be having to wait for every big project. After I complete Jade's Return, I'm going to be looking to do a new method of posting stories here in the chronicles.

MY COMING ACHIEVEMENTS:
UE Fighter-Volumes 2-30
Jeriongi Helena-Volumes 1-10

As for my other two chapter books regaurding the Docmother series, these chapter books will be written in several chapters and then when these books are completed, they will finally be repeatedly submitted to here and will be posted faster than the way Jade's Return is being done now. In my chapter books, no longer will I be sending the chapters as I complete them, but skimming them down to the direct storyline, and best version, then sending them all at once.

However, during the time that I will be working on these new chapter books I will be posting non-stop volumes of UE Fighter, and sometimes Jeriongi Helena when I get plenty of new material.

So as you can tell, I will be quite busy for the next few years until I move torward my next effort to finally publish a book that would resemble my true potential and hopefully be published fast enough to reach stores, and plenty of them. Who knows, maybe I'll finally be able to beat something horrid like Harry Potter. lol
Until then, enjoy my practice books, and volumes of EVO comedy, and action-packed UE Fighter stories. So thank you for the encouragement, compliments, and suggestions. Thanks again for reading.

--Jake101

------------------