So does it suck or not?

Alrighty, after 161 days of having Ares and not playing it (I just didn't like it at first...), a couple of days ago I started to actually play!

Anyways, I completed the rather-too-easy levels in the non-registered already. I wondered if it is worth the cost of registering it. Seems like the rest would be fairly easy (able to beat on first or second try like unregistered-levels).

I dont want to play networked games, just levels... is it acutally worth it? Will I be done with it in less than a day like the un-registered "version"? Hmm... EV/O was worth it, seeing how you can play over and over....

------------------
RIP THE SYSTEM!

It's not that hard of a game to begin with. But once you hit level thirteen things get really fun! Also, the editor will be coming out in the not-too-distant future and some interesting scenerios are already in the works.

------------------
" Throught their history, these 'unenlightened' beings have continually organized to opposed the injustices and attrocities committed by their bretheran in power. We, as the prophets, would do well to learn from these humans."
-Final statement of Salrilian reformist Sirthis before his execution.

(This message has been edited by Admiral Sargatanus (edited 03-09-2000).)

Well, it definately doesn't suck. The story is great, and once you start fighting people other than Gaitori, it gets a lot more interesting. It's also more interesting to have more than just the 4 standard ships.

If hera wasn't coming out, then it wouldn't be worth registering if you weren't going to play net games. However, since you'll soon be able to make your own maps, there should be almost endless replay value, so I'd definately say it's worth it.

------------------
Lewis,
save yourself the pain,
you'll never get there.
-Radiohead, "Lewis (Mistreated.)"

No, the story is OK, but certainly not great. As Aithon said, read some sci-fi novels and you'll know what I'm talking about.

------------------
" Throught their history, these 'unenlightened' beings have continually organized to opposed the injustices and attrocities committed by their bretheran in power. We, as the prophets, would do well to learn from these humans."
-Final statement of Salrilian reformist Sirthis before his execution.

I don't understand this never-ending parallel to EVO. I have the game, but I don't see the connection.

Yes, both are top-down space/action games, but the focuses are so blatantly different, that it's hard for me to undertsnd why people keep going back to it. Oh, well. I'm just realizing now that my comment was pretty irrelevant.

My relevant comment: No, the game will not suck once you've beaten it. Remember Marathon? You had marathon, right? Marathon is a classic. Why? Because you can play it over and over and over (etc.) ad infinitum. This is why, in my humble opinion, Ares is a classic. It will never truely die because it will always be a good game.

What Sargatanus said about Hera is definitely true. When people start producing plug-ins (you might consider doing this yourself), what was once just a classic will soon be an expandable/customizable classic.

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

Just registered and i have to say its a great game even though i havent been able to get gameranger working and have not played one net game

once you get to fighting sals and auds the game gets real hard ( at least for me)
I have both EV and EVO and have to say ares is just as good as both of them

------------------
"Learn about art captian,
when you understand a
species' art you
understand that species"
Grand Admiral Thrawn
at the fist battle of his campaign

(This message has been edited by Vice Admiral Ipvicus (edited 03-18-2000).)

mike, it is the maddest game. It changes from the standard take over planet or blow up these stations, to heaps different ones. It also aint easy, you are gonna be coming back here for hints and stuff every 4 levels. It is maad. I just finished it about 4 hours ago and it was worth it, but there was no mad movie at the end? That sucked. Cant wait for hera. Oh, and dont totaly disregard the network game. The net might be slow, but you can still have serial or ethernet games with any of the races. This Game Rules.

------------------
"How can i make it go faster"? -Me-