pop-pop Birthday World Cup

On the 17th of July, pop-pop will be celebrating its first birthday. So to celebrate pop-pop's first day, I propose that we do a pop-pop Birthday World Cup.

To do the world cup, we need at least 16 players playing. So to fill the gaps, we may have to persuade Tom Wozzle and Andrew Presidente to play with us.

The first round will start off with the group stages. We'll have 4 groups with 4 players each in them. Everyone in each group will play everyone else in their group TWICE, and the players that come 1st and 2nd in the group would advance to the quarter finals.

The 2nd round is the knock-out stage. For the 2nd round, the winner of group A would play the player who came 2nd in group C, the winner of group B would play the player who came 2nd in group D....and so on

We'd play the knock out stage into the semi-finals and then we'd do the finals - just like in the world cup......

So, what do you think of my idea? I could maybe help host it and build up the groups for the group stages, so the groups would be fairly balanced...with at least 1 strong player in each one....

Post your thoughts......

C U on the tracker

Helix

------------------

Originally posted by Helix20:
Post your thoughts......

Too complicated; let's just have a regular tournament. Though, if this idea generates any more enthusiasm in persons other than myself, I'd be happy to participate.

------------------
'The My Fluffy Unicorn clothes horse horse barn is more fun than a bare horse!'
(url="http://"http://squibix.net")Squibix Web(/url)

Originally posted by Danny:
**Too complicated....

Do you really think so? Anyway - this will hopefully generate more players......

It's the host who has to do all the work anyway......

------------------

Is anything going to be going on on the 17th? Are any poppers still alive?

Yeah - we should start discussing this again. I'd be happy to help host the event.....

Could we have a member of the Ambrosia staff at the event? This would ensure that the tracker will not die when the tourney starts.....

.....or maybe we should have some sort of backup plan - Gameranger maybe?

CU on the tracker

Helix

------------------

I am up for playing a tourney on the 17th. But I think your initial idea of having 4 groups is too ambitious, we couldn't even get a normal tourney going a few weeks back! Also, 4 groups and double plays wouldn't fit in with Hykos tourney site which is handy for keep scores. And I don't think many of us Euro players would want to be up too late on a Thursday.

So why don't we have a normal tourney on the 17th to mark the anniversary of Pop and because of recent lounge problems host the tourney using GameRanger (how ironic).

Hope we can muster up a good number of players for this very special occasion. 🙂

------------------

Yeah SHOES, I think you're right actually....I didn't really think it through properly when I posted it the first time....

I'm not really sure if we should use Gameranger to do the tournament. It's too much hassle (registration, application download etc.), and if we want as many players as possible, I don't think that it's the right way to go about it......

We still haven't found this out yet: Why did the tracker crash when we wanted to do the tournament last time?

Ambrosia, sort it out please! 🙂

CU On the tracker

Helix

------------------

I assume that Hyko is gonna host the tournament this time....? Well, that's what it states on his site anyway....

What time are we gonna kick off the tournament? I'm up for it starting at 19:00 GMT. What does everyone else think?

CU on the tracker

Helix

------------------

19:00 GMT is fine.

------------------
Please correct me! I'm a pupil learning English.

19:00 GMT sounds good to me.

------------------

ditto