Connection problems in network play

During the tournament last Sunday, I could not play one of the games - the game was against poptastic. I could not play, because I was never able to connect to him, and he was never able to connect to me. Here's my question: why did this happen? Does it have anything to do with my network configuration I have here at home?

I've got a DSL internet connection with the Deutsche Telekom (T-DSL). I've got my DSL modem hooked up to my AirPort Basestation, and both computers here in my house (one iBook and one iMac) have got AirPort receivers (so I'm sharing my DSL connection over two computers over an AirPort network).

Would my configuration have anything to do with the fact that I could not connect to poptastic last Sunday? I would like to be able to avoid situations like this in the future, so maybe a few tips on how to tweak our systems might be in order.....

Thanks for your help and C U on the tracker.

Helix

------------------

(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/rchristie/various/pop_pop/#what_if")there's some info in the tournament guidelines here(/url) Still got not idea what causes this - Lish also has this problem quite frequently. It may be something to do with being behind a double firewall and one of them not forwarding ports on correctly, or it might be something with your ISP or it could be something completely different.

From past experience, it seems to be like a genetic problem: i.e. a clean/carrier thing. Those people who have this connection problem are usually fine playing everyone until they try to play someone else who also has that problem, and then nothing works - except the port forwarding. I first became aware of this happening in 1.0.2 last time I moved house.

If you type while pop-pop is open on the command line - you get this (with 1370 being pop-pop's pid, it is Carbon CFM, so it doens't show it's proper name as it runs through CFM):

% lsof -i UDP
COMMAND    PID    USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
LaunchCFM 1370 ...      16u  inet 0x025aaa40      0t0  UDP *:49155
LaunchCFM 1370 ...      18u  inet 0x025aa970      0t0  UDP *:49159
LaunchCFM 1370 ...      22u  inet 0x025a9520      0t0  UDP *:33333

Follow the pages instructions, and if in doubt forward on all three. If this doesn't help, something VERY weird is going on 😉

------------------

(This message has been edited by Crono (edited 06-10-2003).)