General Ares question

I hope someone can offer a solution to our problem, it is driving us nuts!
After we have played a regular level 4-20 or a net level for a while, the computer stops accepting
commands for us to build ships. It will do this for a while, then occasionally lets us build ships
intermittently. There doesn't seem to be any rhythm or reason for why it stops letting us do this. We
own multiple licenses, play all the different regular and net levels and find this to happen in most of
them. We have the latest version, 1.1.1 and run it on two platforms, a G3 and 604E multi-processor
machine running MacOS 8.5.1. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?@! I would appreciate
it! Thanks and good hunting! MRM...........

Can't help but have a problem of my own. When I click on join network game the screen goes black for a few seconds then i get an error message and the program has quit. what gives i am using os 8.6 any idea of what that means? The error is type 3 please help

I need more details.

I have a program called "MacErrors."
It says that erroe type 3 is an "illegal instruction error" 😕

Try reinstalling (don't forget to save your prefs file (ares preferances) if you don't, then you will lose your progress/control changes).
Try running Nortan Disk Docter or somesuch.

------------------
Melkor is all powerful.
Melkor is the leader.
Melkor...... IS

Earthling: I have had the same problem, and I don't think it's a problem with your machine, OS, or copy of Ares. It seems that there is some kind of limit to the number of ships you can have in your fleet at any given time, and Ares gets kind of confused when you reach it. I would recommend reposting this in the tech area of the Ares webboard. Nathan Lamont hangs out there and might enlighten us as to what's going on.

On the other hand, I never have this problem unless I build some obscene number of ships that is way beyond necessity. At what point does this happen for you?

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Aithon wrote:
**Earthling: I have had the same problem, and I don't think it's a problem with your machine, OS, or copy of Ares. It seems that there is some kind of limit to the number of ships you can have in your fleet at any given time, and Ares gets kind of confused when you reach it. I would recommend reposting this in the tech area of the Ares webboard. Nathan Lamont hangs out there and might enlighten us as to what's going on.

On the other hand, I never have this problem unless I build some obscene number of ships that is way beyond necessity. At what point does this happen for you?

This may happen at any time of the game, whether network or normal play. It does seem to happen more often after I have built several ships, but in network game, can you ever have enough ships to duke it out with your enemy? MRM........

------------------

My question, to reiterate, is at what point are you unable to build anymore ships? Can you make an estimate, numerically speaking? Is this number consistent?

And I still recommend that you repost in the tech section, if you haven't already.

Comment on that: Are you sure that you have the RESOURCES to build the ship? I have noticed this as well, and creates the problems you described, but they are not problems, but designed so that you can't build a really large fleet and bog down the computer or make it too easy. It takes time to build up resources, and if you are building just gunships or other items that take up large amounts of resources (carriers, HVDs, etc), you will run out very quickly. Watch the bar on the far right of the screen, it will show you information on resources/ship building.

I don't think were all that stupid to make a huge fuss about this if we didn't have the resources for a ship :rolleyes:

------------------

I would have to agree with Dr. Tall. If Earthling's problem is as simple as not understanding the concept of limited resources, we would all just have to boycott speaking to him. Yes, the more I think about it, the more I realize just how stupid you would have to be to not figure that out.

Even if Earthling DOESN'T understand this concept, he still brings up the interesting question regarding the ship limit. I have never had a problem with Ares' rather lenient (sp?) ship limit, but it would be appreciated if there were some kind of self-distruct, so you could kill one cruiser from your hoard in order to build a transport and finish the chapter. At any rate, it's not to terribly important. You just have to remember to limit yourself. You hardly ever need that many ships, anyway.

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Yes, I know about the bar on the right hand side that is for the amount of resourses that you have and I've seen it go all the way to the bottom and cause a small yellow bar to show up right next to it when I'm experiencing this problem. It seems to happen after I've made 20-30 ships, especially during level 17, "AND IT FEELS SO GOOD". Mind you, I don't just sit around building up huge fleets, I'm extremely aggressive and most of my ships get blown away eventually. I normally beat the time allowed for each level all the way up to 20. Anyways, I'm able to do everything else. Warp, Auto-Pilot, etc, just not build ships for a while. I also noticed that the computer makes it's usual noise when hitting the right arrow under the build menu, just nothing happens. Sometimes, if I get impatient and hit the right arrow a whole bunch of times, it will actually build a ship. And no, I'm not trying to build multiple ships at once!!!
Also, thanks for the support Dr. Tall!!!!
LT.

------------------

Is there any info on making mods or missions for Ares, like ol' Escape Velocity???

Earthling: That sounds serious. Even if it were a scant 40 ships, I would still be concerned. I would recommend you send an e-mail to either Nathan Lamont or Ambrosia about it. You might (I believe I am mentioning this for the third time) try posting it in the engineering dept.

CarbonCopy: Your reply is irrelevant to this post. Go to arescentral.com and look for information about "Hera". This is the mission editor you are seeking, which is, unfortunately, still in beta.

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

Asteroids and shots count too, which I think is bad. A small fleet can easily pump out a 100+ shots, 2 - you get the idea.
Personaly, I think Nathan should make asteroids and shots not count twords the ship limit - TA has a unit max of 500(just units, not sea monsters or such) per side and can easily have 3000 shots flying. I demand at least a fraction of that!

------------------
Commander-in-Chief of the Nijayias Interstellar Navy.