Fleet construction methods?

What are your methods for building fleets in BARaAR and Post? I build a carrier first, to serve as flagship, and tell the HVD to go to it. If I have enough resources, I build another carrier for more firepower and as a backup flagship. Then I build 3 cruisers as support ships, and 1 gunship to add some more firepower. I continue to do this, building a gunship for every 2 or 3 cruisers. I almost never build HVD's. I personally don't think they're worth it. If I have plenty of resources, though, I may. I always station my main fleet at a bunker station. I also make small task forces having a gunship as lead, with cruisers for close support and picket duty.

------------------
Commander Cicion, commander of Audemedon 6th fleet

"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo

Be flexible. Change your unit mix depending on what your opponent builds. Carriers are a good bet if you're Cantharan or higher, but other than that you should be able to change what you build.

A second HVD can actually be useful. Gaitori HVD's are great at taking out gunships, especially from the shelter of a carrier and/or cruisers. A 2-HVD blitz is possible, but generally as long as your opponent doesn't react by jamming down his build key on gunships, you'll lose badly. Other than that, HVD's might as well not exist except for the one you start with.

'Small taskforces'? In my experience, dividing your fleet is never, ever a good idea except as part of a decoy or when you're facing a guerilla attacker.

------------------
Replicant
www.axis.n3.net

Not dividing my fleet, making another, smaller force of ships for scouting and patrol duty and as a defense force for the planet.

------------------
Commander Cicion, commander of Audemedon 6th fleet

"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo