bug: modem net play and serial printer

I've encountered the following rather serious bug: after playing pop-pop online, i can no longer print. Here are the details: I'm running a G3/233 desktop, Mac OS 9.1. I connect via modem (modem port) and print to an Epson Stylus 740 (printer port). However, after connecting to the tracker, when I try to print I get an error "The selected port is in use. Please quit the application that is using it and try again." However, the port does not become available even after quitting all apps; only by restarting can i print again.

When I initially connect to the the tracker I get the message (in pop-pop) that I am "not connected to the net", then it "initializes network services" and connects. until the connection process begins, my modem indicator lights show absolutely no sign of up- or downstream. my guess is that when the first message is displayed, the second serial port becomes tied up. why pop-pop does not relinquish it when I quit, i cannot tell.

any similar experiences, workarounds (other than a restart), or other help is appreciated.

thanks,
--{MG} Bosk

------------------

You should check to see how your Internet access is configured. My guess is that PPP is searching all serial ports to find one with a modem.

At worst, try connecting to the Internet first and then launch pop-pop. At least this will tell you whether pop-pop is to blame.

------------------
Matt Slot / Bitwise Operator / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Originally posted by fprefect:
**You should check to see how your Internet access is configured. My guess is that PPP is searching all serial ports to find one with a modem.

At worst, try connecting to the Internet first and then launch pop-pop. At least this will tell you whether pop-pop is to blame.

------------------