Intra-Network play

Okay, I've got a simple home network set up. A cable modem with a single IP goes to an Airport base station, which goes to every computer in the house (up to three or four). If I've got two laptops in the same room, on the same network, using the same IP address (to the outside world anyhow), can I use the tracker? My initial experience was no.

I'd host a game on one computer, then try to join that game with the other, but no dice. Is this because Ambrosia's server thinks they're the same computer, i.e. they both display the same IP address to it? If so, is there any workaround? I'd hate to not be able to play against somebody in the same room as me.

Thanks,
chinigo

------------------
I saw a blind carpenter shouting "One day I'll see it all," and then he put down his hammer and saw.

Originally posted by chinigo:
Okay, I've got a simple home network set up. A cable modem with a single IP goes to an Airport base station, which goes to every computer in the house (up to three or four). If I've got two laptops in the same room, on the same network, using the same IP address (to the outside world anyhow), can I use the tracker? My initial experience was no.

I would guess you cannot use ambrosia's tracker - but I may be wrong. The port used is 33333 if I remember correctly. I'll edit this once I find it if it's not correct.

Originally posted by chinigo:
I'd host a game on one computer, then try to join that game with the other, but no dice. Is this because Ambrosia's server thinks they're the same computer, i.e. they both display the same IP address to it? If so, is there any workaround? I'd hate to not be able to play against somebody in the same room as me.

If you're using OS 9 you can play a versus human game on the same computer.
If you're using OS X, then you'd have to try setting up one game as a private game, noting the IP#, then connecting using the private connection. I think that will work - I haven't tried that yet.

------------------

The tracker is designed to work with most NAT networks so that you can join games on the local network. There are some NAT routers that do not support the necessary features you need to play someone else behind the same or a different NAT, but Airport should work just fine. If the problem persists, please contact us at (url="http://"http://mailto:help@ambrosiasw.com")help@ambrosiasw.com(/url) and we'll help you track the problem down.

As was suggested, you can also use the "join private" button at the tracker screen. You can enter the local address of the host computer and join directly. I think it even saves the last few so you can select it again for the rematch.

------------------
Matt Slot / Bitwise Operator / Ambrosia Software, Inc.