Limitations of the ares engine

... as in could anyone tell me them.

Ideally i'd like to know how many planets/ships you can have on the go simultaneously.

i'm getting a problem where i made like 20 bases, named them all, then when i test the level the names show up as digi-junk and you can't capture them...

any ideas?

------------------
blah blah blah

I remember having problems like that a while back. Ares itself can have something like 250 things in game at any moment, by things I mean planets, ships, and weapon shots. but I remember that through trial and error I found you can only have like around 10 or so bases before strange things (like the ones past that 10ish limit having wacko names and so on) start happening.

------------------
Help save Ares, write a plugin!

Ah, I remember having this problem in the past also!

You have to be careful in naming things, making sure that you don't allow the naming strings to get mixed up. You are better off to set up all of the names and races before you start creating a scenario.

For example, a message like "Station A captured by =--@**."^~)" means that while station A has a name, the race that captured it hasn't.

As far as I know there is no limit on fixed objects (stations, asteroid shooters, planets, flak drones etc). There have been add-on scenarios which have had greater than 10 fixed objects, (one with lots of bunker stations in it comes to mind here).
One of my plugs has a level with 10 fixed objects in it with another level containing 16 fixed objects, as to how many more than that there can be I don't know.

This naming thing is not a bug in Hera or Ares and does not destabilize your plug, it a naming error and is as such fixable, but it can be a pain going thorough it item by item.

If you are creating custom fixed objects from scratch, like a new station for example, you need to make sure that its atributes are correctly set, so that it knows it is a space station and not a fixed asteroid or a ship etc. The best way I found was to click on an existing station, click the Add button which duplicates the selected object, in this case a station, and then to modify the newly created station into what you want it to be. Thus it will have the necessary attributes that a station should have (can be captured etc).

Another caveat, I found that Ares can only have approximately 640 objects in a scenario file before the plug becomes corrupted, so do consider that when creating vast fleets of new ships and shots!!

Was that any help?! 🙂

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

thanks man. much appreciated.

i'm working on orbiting planets. give em a set of invisible destinations and somehow make em go to them all. any ideas how it could be done...

i'm thinking a variable that counts up to N then resets, used as an ID vor the sequential destinations

------------------
blah blah blah