Ares Scenario Help

I just began working on a new plug for Ares using Hera. I've at last gotten to the scenarios, and I wanted to add different ways to go through the mission string. For example, once you complete "Out of the Frying Pan...", I want to allow you to play either Chapter 6a "...Into the Fire" or Chapter 6b "Alliance". However, I'm not sure how to make sure that you can only get Chapter 6b if you complete Chapter 5, and I also don't know how to allow you to get to Chapter 7 after you complete Chapter 6b. How do you do this? Is it anything like EV/O/N, where you use special 'mission bits' which are set/cleared by different missions?

I'd be thankful for any help I can get on this.

-Captain Carnotaur

------------------
If at first you don't succeed...Hit it harder! - Me
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

There's no way to hide levels. All levels with a # less than that of the highest reached are visible and selectable by the player.

However, you can choose an arbitrary level to proceed to in the Declare Winner action. So 6b's winner would go to chapter 7's level ID.

When you say:

I want to allow you to play either Chapter 6a "...Into the Fire" or Chapter 6b "Alliance"

You can't have like a little pop-up asking the player which level he wants to head to, but what you can do is this: have the next level be dependent upon some condition in the scenario, ex at the end of the level you get this message:

Commander, the Cantharans have launched a flanking manuever at Myrmidon. It's your choice whether you want to head back or go deeper into Gaitori terrority with your units. We've opened two jumpgates: choose the one closest to the planet to head back.

and then activate 2 proximity conditions ( using Condition True Yet ) and unhide 2 opening jumpgates. the proximity conditions will be set to fire when the player gets pretty close ( say 30000 or something ) and they will use 'Declare Winner' to send the player to 6a or 6b depending on which 'gate.

------------------
look! its a signature!

Originally posted by Patrick:
**There's no way to hide levels. All levels with a # less than that of the highest reached are visible and selectable by the player.

However, you can choose an arbitrary level to proceed to in the Declare Winner action. So 6b's winner would go to chapter 7's level ID.**

Ahhhh, okay. Though actually, I didn't want to hide levels: I wanted to give the player a choice; you can go either to Chapter 6a, or Chapter 6b. Also, when you say "all levels with a # less than that of the highest level...", do you mean chapter #?

Originally posted by Patrick:
You can't have like a little pop-up asking the player which level he wants to head to, but what you can do is this: have the next level be dependent upon some condition in the scenario, ex at the end of the level you get this message:

Commander, the Cantharans have launched a flanking manuever at Myrmidon. It's your choice whether you want to head back or go deeper into Gaitori terrority with your units. We've opened two jumpgates: choose the one closest to the planet to head back.

and then activate 2 proximity conditions ( using Condition True Yet ) and unhide 2 opening jumpgates. the proximity conditions will be set to fire when the player gets pretty close ( say 30000 or something ) and they will use 'Declare Winner' to send the player to 6a or 6b depending on which 'gate. (/B)

Hmmmm... Though this wasn't my intended plan when I first started work on the plug, that might actually be more interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Captain Carnotaur

------------------
If at first you don't succeed...Hit it harder! - Me
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

If you want to see an example of a multithreaded scenario have a look at my plug "It's War" (second most recently posted plug in the add-ons list) where I have used exactly the structure you are talking of.
The plot develops into a winnning or losing war depending on whether or not the player wins or loses each level.

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...