Forking Together

Sometime this week (I hope), I'm going to launch a project to decode the Resource Fork of Scenario Files. It should have its uses for those who want to program any sort of "replacement" for Hera.

There's a tool I programmed in the trial version of RealBasic that should simplify the process, but I don't happen to have the full version, and can't compile it for anyone else. If someone around here does have the full version, I'd be quite happy to send it over 😉

I'll get a site up to make the work collaborative, and post the address here.

------------------
• CCS Sacred Promise (DE H c-3)
o SCS Pillar of Autumn
Our conviction is like an arrow already in flight.
Your life will only last until it reaches you.

Interesting. A pity that I don't have the tools, or the required experience.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**Interesting. A pity that I don't have the tools, or the required experience.

Well, if I could get you a copy of the DWRD Browser I designed on Sunday, then it would be pretty simple. You just look for numbers that are the same in Hera and the resource fork. (Although if decimals are present, you'll need to multiply the number by 256 to get the number in the resources) Once we've got those simpler things established, then the more complex things (HWRDs) can be handled by others.

Maybe I'll just have to get REALBasic for myself somehow.

------------------
o SCS Pillar of Autumn

Id love to help, but, well, i lack RealBasic.

Good luck all the same.

------------------
It's time for a new challenge.
(url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/benedwards/.cv/benedwards/Public/Ares1.2/StarsAreFire%3AC4.sit-binhex.hqx")The Stars Are Fire(/url)-A TC for Ares
...And so the human race reached for the stars, unknowing of the dangers that awaited them...

Having RealBasic isn't a necessity - if we can't find someone around here that does, then you can run the program in debug mode. Or maybe I should just write something in Php to convert Hex to Ints...

------------------
o SCS Pillar of Autumn

The bsob (Object) resource is just about decoded. There may be a field or two that has escaped my eye, but I've got a pretty long list (159 Items) of the fields in every Object.

I think the next one to turn to will be obac (Actions). The main problem in Hera right now is that its Object/Action system isn't intuitive; it's just raw entry to the resources. If there was some way to categorise everything into categories that actually made sense, Ares's present problems would be solved to a certain extent.

------------------
o SCS Pillar of Autumn

Interesting. What might the effects of missing a few fields be? Catastrophic problems, or merely failure to edit certain aspects of an object which often (or sometimes) need editing?

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Mostly, it depends on the fields. When I get home today, I'll be able to check the resources in the Ares Scenarios file. If the resources I've designated as "Unused" are constant throughout the Objects in there, I'll declare that they should always have a particular value. If they're not, I'll check through again to figure out what fields I'm missing.

------------------
o SCS Pillar of Autumn

That sounds perfectly logical.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Yikes! Consider emailing me. I may take all the fun out of it, but it will take much less time.

------------------

Originally posted by Admiral Grammaticus:
**Yikes! Consider emailing me. I may take all the fun out of it, but it will take much less time.

Just done. And I didn't consider this "fun," just useful.

------------------
o SCS Pillar of Autumn