Oh My God I corrupted Hera!!

No not just my senario files as a soon found out. The reason my files are corrupted is hera. Hera itself has been corrupted. When i went to go start a new file (simply as a refrence to one of my other plugs). It gives me some strange stuff. Things like pulse guns end up with class and race while cruisers end up with nothing at all. And by cruisers i mean plural LOTS of groups of cruisers :frown:. Ill get some screent shots when i can but i cant get them on my site right now. If you want to see them i can email them to you. And i post this, should i email Admiral Gramiticus about this, i mean, this IS the final release right now.

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.

Hmm... I hate to anthropormorphise Hera, but I think of it as a badly mannered cat. Treat it well, and it will serve you... more or less. Treat it badly, or injure it in the most subtle way, and it will have it's revenge.

No I think you corrupted the ares data files. I bet if you redownload ares but use the same hera everything will be back to normal. Yes this kind of thing happend to me several times.

------------------
Creator of the great new plugin for ares "Earth's Journey Back To The Stars". And hopefully a member of the Ares Extended Team.

Originally posted by brookeview:
**No I think you corrupted the ares data files. I bet if you redownload ares but use the same hera everything will be back to normal. Yes this kind of thing happend to me several times.

yes, i just did this, it appears to work fine now, but i plug is badly hurt from the experience. Like the random deletion of certain sprites (like the catharan HVD). Does anyone know a way to get these ares sprites back into my plug, all my back-ups have been equally corrupted :frown:

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.

To quote an old star trek phrase. "It's dead Jim"

If you had the time you could add the missing things back but it is much easier to start over. besides there is probably more gone than you think.

------------------
Creator of the great new plugin for ares "Earth's Journey Back To The Stars". And hopefully a member of the Ares Extended Team.

Copy the SMIV data for the sprites into your plug using ResEdit.

------------------
GameRanger SN: Col. Patrick (EL)

Yeah I just figured out that was possible the other day. I still think you will be working along and then find that some weapon has the wrong action attached to it or your mission briefings will be pointed to the wrong text resources. But who knows you might get lucky.

------------------

ok, just gotta fix some minor problems now, thanks guys.

------------------
Newbie bashing = Tacitcal destruction of possible future threats = NATO
So why cant i do it?

You managed to allow A L L (!) of your backup copies to get corrupted!!!! No mean feat there. I went through three copies of Hera when I was building Its war. I suggest that you delete your copy of Hera, and its prefs and re-install a fresh copy. Then try opening up one of your older back ups, one that predates the incident which caused the corruption of your plug. Make sure that you haven't used your corrupted copy of Hera to open the uncorrupted back up file you are trying to rescue. I believe that your corrupt Hera is junking your back ups as you open them. If you use Res Edit to copy anything from one of the corrupted files, you might (underlined and in oblique text!) copy the corrupting influence. It is likely that most of your back up files are OK.

As a little statistic, I ended up with nearly a gigabyte of back up files for It's War. I make a back up every time I make a change of any significance. Usually its only the plug that gets corrupted.

Hera is um, slightly tempramental...

LCA

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

Yeah, I was using the HERA Beta version and that corrupted all my add-ons AND all my add-on back ups. I nearly gave up on my add-on, but then I downloaded the full version of HERA and I could fix up my old add-ons that I thought were corrupted. This makes my think HERA was corrupted. Anyways I haven't had any problems with the full version of HERA.

------------------
Fearra

Originally posted by Jonathan Schubkegel:
**...Anyways I haven't had any problems with the full version of HERA.

I can't believe that, unless you don't use hera very much. Just yesterday, when i put my custom sounds into my senario, hera warped, and now all friendly ships become gateships after a couple seconds, had to go back to the last saved version.

------------------
He is no fool who gives what he can't keep, to gain what he can't lose.

If none of us can get a whole plug done at once, why don't we collaborate? I've been thinking of a plug containing races from anyone who wants to put them in (Sundered Angel could enter the Chi'Uatha). I would do it but my email address isn't working. :mad:
Anyway, if someone wants to be the plug master then I have a race to enter: the Sestertians, the star race of my soon-to-be-released plug, "name-soon-to-be-released". 🙂

------------------
§ Spamurai Inc. §
The Best Thing Since
Sliced Egg!

Hera is a very difficult tool to use accurately.
I think it is quite stable, but very easy to build errors into your scenario without noticing them, until its too late. I make a back up after every change, and I mean e v e r y change.
It porduces good results, but has a very high learning curve.
Not for the meek-minded...

------------------

I'm a genius.

By the way, Lord Commander, I love Ireland!

------------------
§ Spamurai Inc. §
The Best Thing Since
Sliced Egg!

Ah good! Come here and spend all your money 🙂 ! We need suckers, er tourists!

Don't forget to .sit your plug when posting it!
If you need Beta testers, I'll be the second to volunteer (on the proviso that no one should ever be the first to volunteer for anything...!).

------------------

One problem I noticed with HERA is the fact that when you are editing the names/titles/strings, whatever you want to call them, say you are making titles for a plug, and say you have the middle title selected and you make a new title, that title bumps all the other's ID no. down one space, without changing the ID no. links of the things that are already linked to those titles. This is no major glitch, you just have to be careful.
Oh, and something did happen to my add-ons when I was using the HERA beta that wouldn't allow me to save them. I could open them, but not save them :frown:. I almost deleted them. But as soon as I got the full version of HERA, I could open and save those exact files that the beta ver. couldn't :).
I have used HERA (full version) a decent amount and I haven't noticed any problems. I haven't tried everything, and I could have just got lucky, but I can say that the full ver. of HERA is working nicely for me. Maybe that will change, I don't know.

------------------
Fearra

(This message has been edited by Jonathan Schubkegel (edited 11-03-2001).)

(This message has been edited by Jonathan Schubkegel (edited 11-03-2001).)