Okay...

Okay, anyone know how to get past/through the Ares level Yo Ho ho? It's the one with the disabled lux.liner and the salrillians.... I've only roasted the big cruiser once, but that was pure flyby luck.. and the little guys got me soon after that. Is there some sort of trick to this that I'm just not getting?

-K

Skill and patience. That's about all. One tip for the carrier, circle around just out side the range of it's primary weapon, and fire your missles and the red things. It should spend it's time firing at your missles buying you time to attack. The rest is pretty easy. Just DON'T CHEAT!!!

Cheat? There're cheats?

Anyway....

what's good for the small thingies? they're a real pain, and I can't get them easily...

-K

Glad you followed my advice by posting here! 🙂 Looking back, 13's not very hard at all. I recommend that when the tractor tug comes in, you autopilot on to it. When the sal carrier engages you, protect the tug and liner. When the two HC die, you move in and attempet to destroy it. If you succeed, its in the bag, if not, well, try again. 😉

------------------
May Macs eternally crush PCs!

-Admiral Dennis
(url="http://"mailto:admiraldennis@mac.com")mailto:admiraldennis@mac.com(/url)admiraldennis@mac.com

Hehe. Staying out of range was good advice. Homing missiles did more than I gave them credit for.... all the small people popped without much of a mess. My next problem is the post-bokleo mission.. with the salrillian carrier and such....

-K

I can't believe what I'm reading! You mean you took Rear Admiral ScratchMyAnus' chicken$&!Å› method seriously!? No. No, no, no. Make the HC's follow you to the jump gate when the carrier gets there, use them as decoys, and tear into the carrier with all you've got!

------------------
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun"

Heh. I am amused.

Of note, if anyone has questions regarding single-player levels, make sure to check the (url="http://"http://www.axis.n3.net/")Ares Axis(/url). There are some walkthroughs up there, for most of the levels.

Dennis, stop criticizing Damocles. I must concur with his opinions, just not his method of presenting them.

------------------
---
Pax
sagitar@earthlink.net

" They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?" - Terminal 2, Where are monsters in dreams, Marathon Infinity

Pax, your page is good, but the entire misc section suffers from bad links.

So, does anyone know how best to get through the level immediately following Yo ho ho? cloaked transports, salrillian station, you know. Pretty much my three big ships get run out of energy by the time I get up a good enough fleet, and the battle to take over the station is tiring enough so when the three carriers come in I get flat rocked. Suggestions?

-K

Take about five or six minutes to build a decent sized fleet: about two gunships and six cruisers, and speardhead an attack on the station. Stay there until you can capture it. Once you've done that, you can just swarm the salrilians, using the station as a rendezvous point.

Great strategy 'scratch. So tell me, what happens when the two carriers come in? Huh? You have your little "spearhead" at the now nonfactorial station, while your planet is getting sacked.

Simrugh, what you need to do is take the out post out as soon as you can, with the heavy ships, and build fighters and cruisers to defend your planet, seeing as how you're going to need numbers as apposed to fire power. A gunship or two could help, but that takes time and resources. The more ships you have, the more shots you get in.

So, in other words, use the big ships to their best potential, and totally forget about occupying the station. then take out the carriers, and from then on slowly build up a fleet large enough to get back the ststion and then the planet.

How long does this take?

-K

Pax, your back! (You think I don't agree with him, Pax? I do, but I don't want any more wars, or people insulting other people. I know, I sound like a Administrator, but I want peace on this board!)

------------------
May Macs eternally crush PCs!

-Admiral Dennis
(url="http://"mailto:admiraldennis@mac.com")mailto:admiraldennis@mac.com(/url)admiraldennis@mac.com

Good god, I forgot what level 14 is!!!!

------------------
~(^..^)

Here's my strategy for "The Left Hand":

1. Build an ATR as fast as possible at the beginning, and send it toward the station. Before it arrives at the station, order the Battleship and Carrier to go take it out.

2. In the meantime, build as many Gunships as possible and send them to the station as well. You should be able to build one right as you're disabling the station. You should be able to capture the station before the arrival of the 3 carriers.

3. When the Carriers arrive, don't worry about any other ship except yourself (HVD). It's time to kick your piloting skills into overdrive. Focus your firepower directly at the carriers themselves. Try to keep your distance and just ignore the fighters. Those gunships should help you out a little against the nasty capitol ships, and your Battleship and Carrier should be cleaning out the fighters. Try not to lose the station, but if you still have your ATR you can just order it to "Fire Special" and retake the station.

4. The remaining Salrilians will try to retake the station. Hold your ground. After you take out the oncoming ATR, swing the momentum in your favor. Gather up as many of your remaining forces and assault their planet. Don't attempt this unless you have both your Battleship and Carrier or if you have a substantial fleet. When assaulting their planet, its best to use cruisers instead of gunships. However, if your assault fails, head back and protect the station. The increased resource production will eventually give you an edge over the Salrilian forces.

5. Simply land a transport.

This strategy is quite effective for many reasons. One, you eliminate the Salrilian's resource edge early, putting them on the same level as you. Second, once you capture the station, you'll have the edge. Third, with all your ships gathered at the station, you should be able to confront and defeat the carriers. Lastly, that station serves as a buffer zone between their planet and yours, and often times the station will destroy transports trying to sneak by.

------------------
-Vegeta <axis.n3.net>

(This message has been edited by Vegeta (edited 01-15-2000).)

Another strategy for mission 13, although it might be regarded as cheating, is to see at the beginning which direction the liner is moving. Keep restarting the mission until the liner is drifting toward the jump gate, not away. Try to leave only one escape pod and pick it up as soon as the liner is really close to the gate. Then pick it up. That's your tug's cue to come out and carry the liner to the gate. It also calls in the Salrilians. But if the tug barely even has to move, the Salrilians can't get to your ships in time, and you win easily! But is kind of is cheating.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
"I have nothing to fear but secret sauce"

The problem is, it would take a long time and your par would suffer. Although you don't have to worry about this unless you're trying to beat the game over par.

What I do in "The Left Hand" is immediatly build as many cruisers as possible with the resourses you start with and send the battlecruiser, carrier, and HVD(I always take control of the battlecruiser) to the enemy planet. Then I keep sending cruisers over to their planet and eventually capture it with a trans(I don't bother will bunk stations as I said in an existing post). 🙂

------------------
HotSpice(better known as Avenger on GR)