Bizzare Files

The Bizarre Files
Case 1: The inverted weapon

I have the tendancy to experiment with unusual weaponry in Hera, an amusing hobby. Amazingly, on the 28th of June, while toying with a new gun, I accidentally created the most bizarre device I have ever created in Hera: A gun which fires from the enemy.

Yes, this deadly gun, designed to send the enemy spinning out of control, is fired when the enemy attempts to fire it at you, and your attempts to fire it will result in the enemy firing its own gun.

There is only one possible conclusion to be drawn from this: A pacifist extremist has infiltrated Nathan Lamont's code, resulting in a game geared for peace.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Heh, I experienced that "misfeature" when I tried making ym first beam weapon for StarLance (I was starting from scratch). In the create-beam action of the gun's activation sequence, I forgot to check same.... So whenever I pressed the fire-blasters button, my opponent's ship would fire his blasters....

------------------
Time is the best teacher, yet it kills all of it's students.

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**The Bizarre Files
Case 1: The inverted weapon

I have the tendancy to experiment with unusual weaponry in Hera, an amusing hobby. Amazingly, on the 28th of June, while toying with a new gun, I accidentally created the most bizarre device I have ever created in Hera: A gun which fires from the enemy.

Yes, this deadly gun, designed to send the enemy spinning out of control, is fired when the enemy attempts to fire it at you, and your attempts to fire it will result in the enemy firing its own gun.

heh yes i have done this too because i create weapons of fun sometimes, cept mine ussually killed my computer too :frown: . Ill post a picture of a spyrograph laser i made once i feel i have enough will to register snapz.

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.

This is what happens when you forget to check "reflexive" in the create object object portion of the weapon's activate sequence.

For fun, you could have it do all sorts of things other than create an object - lower its energy/shields, go out of control, loose weapons, deplete its ammo, attack its allies, and turn into a frog - all through the magic of "we don't need no steenking reflexive".

I sincerely appologise if you find that last joke in very poor taste. Benodril shut my brain off.

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

Don't worry, I did find the root of the problem fairly quickly. It was just the most amusing thing I've done by accident in Hera yet. Now, to discover whether there are any potentially cool uses for this feature...

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

EMP will be playing a large role in StarLance, and seeing as a mega shock to all your systems can make your ship do such behaviors...

------------------
Time is the best teacher, yet it kills all of it's students.

Oh dear...

Ladies and gentlemen, please refrain from detonating power cell supply ships during the middle of space conflicts. Our pilots report that losing control of their vessels at random moments is most inconvenient.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only