Plugin Problems

So I've downloaded four plugins, but I can't get them to work. The first one, Ring of the Prisoner, I can't even get to show up on the plugins screen. The other three show up, I've ticked them all, and when I go to Fantrima, nothing's changed. The plugins I have loaded are Trinity (proven to work), An Ancient Tomb, Gone Fishing and The Legend of the Mana'haraa. What do I do next?

Hi CrazyChick, I'm glad to see you're still around. The first question is "Do you have a registered game?" If you don't, and you have Trinity checked, no other plugins will load because only one plugin will load at a time. If your game is registered, then you should have no trouble starting An Ancient Tomb , Gone Fishin' , or _ The Legend of the Mana'haraa_. There is a problem starting Ring of the Prisoner because the author did not follow directions and he put the "readmes" in the same folder as the plugin data. This is easy to fix. Open the Ring folder and make a new folder in which you put the data file and the Music, Movies, and Sounds folders. Then move this new folder to your Plugins folder. Or you could just remove the "readme" files and put them somewhere else.

Each of these plugins adds a new character to the Fantrima scene:

An Ancient Tomb - If memory serves me correctly, look for a man in a black robe somewhere in the southeast area of Fantrima.

Gone Fishin' - Walk near the fountain in the center of town and a small boy will call out to you. Be advised, I think you should be at level four or five and have some better armor than the start of the game to do this easily.

The Legend of the Mana'haraa - Look along the cliffs in the northeast section for a boy who is playing there. Talk to him and also find his mother near the center of town. This plugin cannot be completed within the limits of the unregistered game.

Ring of the Prisoner - Once you have the folder squared away, meet a red-robed mage in the center of town near the fountain. Be warned! This plugin will give you super powers, super armor, and super enemies. I personally think it ruins the game.

Feel free to post back with any questions you have once you get the plugins started. I might be evasive, but I will try to point you in the right direction.

Ok, I've tried all that, but two things:

1. Ring of the Prisoner isn't a folder at all, just a document. I've unstuffed it and everything, but it's just a document.
  2. And I've just realised what I did wrong with the others. I put only the plugin data in the plugin folder, not all the game files.

Thanks for that!

@crazychick, on Apr 19 2007, 10:24 PM, said in Plugin Problems:

1. Ring of the Prisoner isn't a folder at all, just a document. I've unstuffed it and everything, but it's just a document.
  1. I put only the plugin data in the plugin folder, not all the game files.

2. I can only suggest that you try downloading Ring again if you want to try this plugin.

3. I'm not sure that you actually need the folders for Music, Movies, and Sounds if they are empty, BUT you do need a folder with the plugin's name in which the data file is placed. Otherwise the game engine will not recognize it as a plugin. It's best to just follow the standard format.

Do you have the other three plugins working now?

Haven't been able to get to the computer until now, I've been shopping for curtains. Hoping to try in about half an hour.

EDIT: It's not working. I tried them induvidually, nothing works. What now? What have I missed? I've put the plugin folders in the Plugins folder, checked the boxes when the game starts up, started a couple of new games to test, and there's no-one there. No mage, no little boys.
So what do I do?

This post has been edited by CrazyChick : 21 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

I'm on the run today and cannot answer this fully right now. In the mean time, please give me as many details as you can such as which OS, registered or not. If they're showing up in the plugins list, make sure the contents of each folder is what it should be.

I'll get back to this late tonight.

~RD

Ok. This is as much as I can tell you without checking.

OS X, not sure exactly which, but the computer itself is about four years old.
PoG is registered.

In each folder there is:
Music (folder)
Sounds (folder)
Movies (folder)
Plugin Data

The plugins do show up, they just don't seem to work. I can't find any of the characters mentioned.

@crazychick, on Apr 22 2007, 02:06 AM, said in Plugin Problems:

OS X, not sure exactly which, but the computer itself is about four years old.
PoG is registered.

The plugins do show up, they just don't seem to work. I can't find any of the characters mentioned.

I found this link from about a year ago. Read through the thread. It explains that to run PoG in "classic" you should have system OS 9 on your computer somewhere.

If you look at the top left of your screen there is an apple logo there. Click and hold on it and you should see "About this computer," or "About this Mac." Selecting this will tell you what exact operating system you are using. From this same apple logo, there should be a section of "Controls." From "Controls" select "Start up Disk." If "Start up Disk" gives you the option of selecting OS 9, do so and then restart your machine. In OS 9 you should have no problems with PoG and its plugins. When you are done playing and want to get back to the way your computer was, go to Apple Menu -> Controls -> Start up disk -> OS X -> restart.

Please let us know if this works, or if you still have problems.