Some new weapons

uhhhhhhh, is it possible for there to be a ship that could build itself?

What about a gun that does no(or very little) damage, but throws the enemy ship accross to the other side of the map?

The only really annoying feature in ARES is that the fighters can't go back into the carrier.

How about a mobile shipyard? No weapons and can be easily captured by a pod or something?

What about a special ability (that you use when you're in a bit of a tight spot) that will throw you to a random point on the map?

is it possible for there to be a ship with infinite mass?

or a ship that's immune to unstable asteroids?

-slug the stupid

------------------
In accepting the inevitable, one finds peace.
In denying it, one finds hope.

-Last words of Admiral Williams before the fall of Earth.

Well, it would just not be the same with out it actualy entering hyperspace, Hera seams to have a lot of room for cheating the rules and inventiveness, I like that.

-Walter-

------------------

Anyone actualy have some graphics for proposed ships/weapons? I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours!! <g> send it to walterb@becktek.com

-Walter-

(This message has been edited by Walter (edited 03-29-2000).)

I have three ideas for some cool weapons.
1. Tachyon Beam, it would look like this: you see small explosion on ship you fired at; instantly, then you would see a cool looking beam coming from your ship, then a small flash from firing the wepon. This would be cool cause it would fit the theroetical properties of the theroetical Tachyons. Its possible from what ive heard about hera so far.
2. Micro Quantum Energy Burst, for larger less muneuverable ships, it would look like the sparks behind the homing nuclear pulse and it would spread out in all directions from all over the ship and each spark would do little damage but have a superb concusive effect.
3. Inverted Matter Pulse, not very original I must say but I thought that there should be a weapon somewhere that does more than just 200 damage. Anyhow it would look really cool and exotic and it would do 400 damage and have the range of the whole map, but it would travel a little more slowly than a C-missle.
Just thought at least one of these would be cool and unique.

------------------

It could be possible for Tachyons to do that. Tachyons are a theoretical particle that travels at speeds greater than light. As far as we know, they haven't been officially confirmed to exist. But the near-instant hit part of the beam would make sense being that the beam itself is traveling at speeds greater than light. Granted, in the game, the beam would just be a VERY fast traveling weapon or perhaps auto-target at designers discretion it's a fairly neat concept.

I don't think the tachyons themselves would do the damage. Maybe something energized by a tachyon field and projected at superlight speeds in the beam?

------------------
-Semper ubi sub ubi-

I agree that you guys are morons.

The tachyons would pass right through you, and if you want to have a weapon that accelerates particles to superlight speeds, then slap a pair of superlight boosters onto a missile.

A Tachyon beam would just be a waste of energy, and a turreted verion would be a waste, as it would take hours to move the huge equipment required to generate the tachyons.

I think it would be cool if there was a weapon that split apart from your ship like the Aud cruiser special, but intead of a decoy it would be like a rampship

------------------

Commodore Ambrose wrote:
**You moron, Tachyons don't have those properties.
You obviously haven't the faintest idea of what tachyons even are.

For a realistic look at space warefare, visit the FULLERENES AS WEAPONS thread in this same forum.

Yeah well **** you buddy. Jesus Christ as if any of this **** is possible right now and it doesnt matter whatever the hell I siad about Tachyons sense they dont even exist and besides that i can say what i want you poumpus son-of-a-whore.Dont take it personaly, its just i dont let people get away with calling me stupid in anyway not even you little "holyer than thou" pricks. There now I feel better, I forgive you.

------------------

Hey man, take it out side... (to the trashtalk forum)

-Walter-

------------------

Yeh, and I think that this web board needs a therapist to be on hand because obviously soem of us have issues... Any volunteers to act as therapist?

-Walter-

(This message has been edited by Walter (edited 04-07-2000).)

Sorry, but I am forced to agree with Commodore Ambrose and Bananana.

garbageman : you - are - an - idiot (as is clearly indicated by your vocabulary)
I thought you were pretty cool when I played you on GR, but it turns
out that you are dumber than dirt. I hope your computer melts.

-Ensign Slug (also known as (TAG) Slug)

------------------

Here's a tip - just suggest cool weapons, and leave the names to people who know subatomic and quantum physics - as in, not me.

There would be very little point in any of those weapons. The first, hits-instantly weapon is possible. The second, many low-damage shots that spray out and push away ships, is possible, if not particularly useful - it would be merely annoying, and to both sides - you can't fire a PK beam at a ship you just blasted into the yonder. The last would be utterly pointless, unless you particularly enjoy dodging a projectile you have a good half-hour to see coming.

------------------
Replicant
www.axis.n3.net

im very, very sorry, i tried to get involved in something i knew nothing about, and someone pointed that out to me (although not in the nicest way) and all i could do was get all pissy and call him childish names. Im sorry that i was such a big ******* , something happened in my life that day the got me in a bad mood and i took my anger out on someone i didnt know. non of you have to stop hateing me or thinking that im stupid but i just wanted to say that im sorry and i didnt mean what i siad and that i take it back.

Sicerly,
Garbage(mouth)Man

PS: If theres any way to delete my offensive message please tell me how. Thanks.

------------------

Thats it Ambrose!! Show no mercey!! 🆒

I have an idea for a way a weapon might work: I read somewhere that if you had a quatum singularity (or a really small blackhole for people like GarbageMan) inside a sphere shaped mirror and had a small part on the sphere polarized so that you could shine a beam of light in, every time that the light would pass through the egros-sphere (not sure) the photons would gain energy. If this could be harnessed it would be pretty cool. You could use the light of a candle to destroy colony ships! Someone please correct me because I forgot how this works, I will accept critisism thankfully (unlike a certain someone, wont mention any names (coughing) gghggggaaaaGhkAkRrBAGE hackkkk dfgh MANackk).

"I fart in your general direction!", French Guard.

COOL! I knew something that I siad was correct :). Anyway a weapon of this magnatude would probably only be for very large ships or immobile stations, other wise it would be unfair. Also cant black-holes have differnt masses? I know that theyre infinatismally small but cant the mass be differnt? Because I'm pretty sure that there are BHs with differnt ranges of gravity and differnt sized event horizons and ect. As for containing the beast, they would need some exotic matter with anti-mass to counter the emense gravty eminating from the BH., or maybe theres a simpler solution? I dont know, I've practically just started studying physics so I'm not quite as experienced in the field, so I apreciate you super-geniuses not giving me a really hard time about, thanks.

"I fart in your general direction!", French Guard (while taunting the searchers of the Holy Grail).

Well, I've been thinking of this really deadly weapon *DUM dum Doooom *: a WARP CANNON 🆒 it would work almost like the ships normal hyperdrive, but instead it makes an unstable warpfield moving in tremendous velocities and obliterating or imploding everything it hits.

Have I said that idea before?!? 😕 No well then

Not very scientific (not atleast yet, when no one has been able to really warp space in larger quantities (not a good word I know but I couldn't think of any better word to describe it)), but if the ships can warp, then why couldn't their weapons use those capabilities.

------------------
Strange just a moment ago I was flying through a dense asteroid field but now I feel quite cold And just what happened to my
H-Cruiser?!?

The warp theory has already been disproved. It would take the energy of several hundred billion universes just to warp a simple hydrogen atom.

Be realistic, guys (ie : 'tis better to let me think you're an idiot rather than to open your mouth and prove me right).

-Slug (frustrated)

------------------

Hmmmm... I've been reading some of the Hera documentation online, and been thinking that I'll probably do a new campaign. It wont be too big, just some 15-20 mission humans type thing. I'm not going to add too many new ships, and no new classes, since this will be set just after the liberation of Earth. I was thinking, however, of throwing in a few unique ships that you will have at your disposal in a few missions. In terms of weaponry, I came up with:

Cluster Missles: You know thsoe Anime movies where there are always like 100 missles flying around everywhere? I was thinking of putting in something like that, similar to the javeline missles of EV.

Magneto Pulse Turrets: Just like the carriers and gunships have, but turreted and only on bases.

Maybe some other stuff too, like the human turreted laser that's on the gunships, only faster firing and locked forwards...

------------------
Do you go to the country?
It isn't very far.
There's people there who will hurt you
because of who you are.

-Coffee and TV

The thing about ideas like scatter guns or cluster missiles is that they sound great on paper, look like they'd work fine, and usually either look just plain bad graphically or are difficult to aim. I don't think that more than 20 degrees of inaccuracy is acceptable, personally... I'm looking into the cluster missiles idea, I haven't really gone in depth... time to do that. The basic idea I have is this...

1. You fire the weapon. A 'cluster pack' shoots out.
2. The cluster pack travel a small distance - less than the range of a fusion pulse - and splits into 4 missiles.
3. These missiles home onto whatever there is around.

Problem with this is, the missiles usually end up locking onto one ship - you get a weapon that shoots 4 missiles instead of a anti-group homing weapon. One idea is to make the cluster pack instead be two cluster packs that shoot out directly left and right, but shoot missiles in the direction you are facing. Another idea is to make a pack with a high range that shoots missiles backwards - so it hits the enemy from behind, but requires a very specific range.

If you mean 'like javelin missiles' as in really like javelin missiles, sure, it would be simples to make ballistic weaponry with a missile sprite, or a weapon that accelerates like a rocket.

Let me run another idea I've had by you... minefields. Not just any mindfields, though... mines that do special things.

For example...

Gravitic mines: Suck you towards them. Used in conjuction with other mines.
Prison mines: Holds you motionless until the mine is destroyed.
Leaper mines: Self-directed, self-propelled - when they spot an enemy, they fire a weapon which is an afterburner, thus 'leaping' towards them.
Entropy mines: Suck away your energy.
Hedgehog mines: Have permanent laserbeam 'spines' coming out of them that cause damage - think the Audemedon carrier beam, but it doesn't disappear until the mine dies.

And, of course, your garden-variety damage-causing minefields. All the mines would cloak on activation, and would probably not be 'hated' - that is, enemy ships would not shoot at them. Perhaps the mines would activate themselves and change their base type into a very similar mine that is hated - so, each mine will not be shot by enemy AI ships until they spot an enemy and attack it.

------------------
Replicant
www.axis.n3.net