3d rendering program

What was the program used to render the ships in ares? Soneone said what it was but i can't find it.

------------------
"How can i make it go faster"?

The captain of the
A.S.S. Phoenix

Strata StudioPro -- which is now essentially free as "Strata 3D": (url="http://"http://www.strata.com")http://www.strata.com(/url)

Before I download that 22 meg file, would someone be so kind as to tell me A what version it is that's free now, and b wether or not it's the one that was free on the macaddict cd a while back?

It's a new product, "Strata 3D", I believe slightly more powerful than Stratavision 5. Then again, it's also a clever marketing ploy to get you to buy improvements for it, but what the hell. It seems quite a good program to me.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

So are the 3D models going to be up for download?

------------------
Sir! Our shields are dropping!
_What?!?
They're firing! _ says the lieutenant as a torpedo appears on the view screen.
Well, it seams you won't have the last laugh today Therg. Says Captain Fullers voice over the speakers.
Dang.
The torpedo strikes the ship removing it from the sky in a violent explosion.

That would be sweet if I could make cutscenes

Everyone write down the person aboves IP#, it doesnt change so you will be able to tell easily the difference between the FAKE Nak'goek and the real one (which is me). Its not my fault that I cant register, but that doesnt make it okay to use mine! Get your own god damn name.

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**It's a new product, "Strata 3D", I believe slightly more powerful than Stratavision 5. Then again, it's also a clever marketing ploy to get you to buy improvements for it, but what the hell. It seems quite a good program to me.

Great, thanks sundered. That's the FREE one, right? If I had money to burn I wouldn't be drinking Merit Selection cola and eating Econochoice food. Great. I'll just download that when I have some time on my hands.

Will I be able to import and edit my StrataVision™ 3d v4.0 files with this new version?

Nice program. Just that the tutorial files are crappy. But it's still nice.

------------------
Last night, I played a blank tape at full blast.
The mime next door went nuts.

Tutorial Files? Hah! I never used a single tutorial file, and I can use at least 4 3D programs quite proficiently.

------------------
"If so, then how does one count to 10 on the Mac?"
"128, 127, 126, 125..."
-Pallas Athene, Member of the Obish Consensus

This program is mighty, well worth the download time. If you're not going to be doing any character animation, that is. I like it, it's extremely easy to use.

------------------
We woke up one morning and fell a little further down, for sure this is the valley of death.
I open up my wallet, and it is full of blood.
-Godspeed you Black Emporer!, Dead flag blues

I couldn't get it to work. I downloaded it, etc., and when i went to open it, it said it couldn't find something. I'm not sure, but it said the thing it couldn't find was something like GLLibrary, or something like that. What should I do? 😕

------------------

Ahh... Look for it on the ftp://apple.com server. It's a library, which is like an extension. GLlibrary is an interface library, but it only works on PPCs

If you don't have a 3D accelerator (I think Strata requires this because it seems to require OpenGL) than you may want to pick on Mechanisto. It is a bit hard to understand at first, but I'm working on a EV tutorial for it right now...from what I've seen of Ares it should be very similiar in making ships for both.

To get Mechanisto just go to Ambrosia's main page, click on games, Escape Velocity, then click on addons...Download both Mechanisto & the Mechanisto Helper if you plan on understanding the program 🙂

It requires a PowerPC, but it ran well on my 60mHZ Performa 🙂

Just thought I'd inform anyone out there who doesn't like Strata and wants a different choice

------------------
Kraig Hill
--------------------------------
"Just when you think
people couldn't get any
stupider - they do"

Screw Mechanisto! It won't import Strata files!

------------------
World War 1 was fought with Machine Guns and Cannons.
World War 2 was fought with bombs and missiles.
I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but it will be so terrible that
World War 4 will be fought with stone clubs.

Steven Hawkings,
-A Brief History of Time

Actually (in theory) if you export your Strata models to DXF and import them to Mechanisto through the insert menu it should work....

I should probably go test this to prove this new theory...it would greatly improve my productivity 🙂

------------------
Kraig Hill
"It's better to burn out then to be forgotten" - Neil Young

Hey, Pallas Athene, Great signature!

------------------
Long Live Apple! Long Live the Mac!

Well, hey, isn't it precisely the way it should be counted?

------------------
"If so, then how does one count to 10 on the Mac?"
"128, 127, 126, 125..."
-Pallas Athene, Member of the Obish Consensus

Of course, if you are counting resources. However, if you are counting in hex, the way the Mac does, it's: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F.

------------------
Long Live Apple! Long Live the Mac!