FYI - Major Known Bugs

There are two critical bugs that I have found in Ares/Hera B5, one brought to my attention by a good beta tester.

First, if you remove an action from an object (turn off an action that an object had or had been given), then Ares may crash or fail to load a scenario with that object; Ares may complain that there are too many sounds or sprites before it dies.

This is a bug in Hera and will be fixed in the next release; scenarios that were broken by this bug will be repaired by the next version of Hera.

Second, if you have in-game music set to play in Ares, but a scenario doesn't have a song (it has a negative song I.D.), Ares will behave badly and may crash. This is a bug in Ares and will be fixed in the next release.

I have been unable to reproduce the "empty list" problem, either with Kaleidoscope or System 8.1, although I have not yet tried Kaleidoscope & 8.1 together.

Originall posted by Admiral Grammaticus:
**I have been unable to reproduce the "empty list" problem, either with Kaleidoscope or System 8.1, although I have not yet tried Kaleidoscope & 8.1 together.

I did, with no luck. :frown:

(This message has been edited by Sargatanus (edited 07-03-2000).)

I was't able to send my list of bugs to the e-mail address due to some problems, but besides those two bugs I found that if you use Hera and have too low memory it may either mix everything with everything and more when you save or it may ruin the whole scenario and ares prefs when loaded to with Ares 1.2.0.

The problems I have found:

These occured when I had tried Hera with low memory:

a) invisible objects will show HUGE squares in bigger zooms (things like Gaitori pelletgun pellets and jump gate sprites). This also ruins the prefs and starts doing that with every scenario you load with ares and those other scenarios will be ruined too.

🆒 It will make the levels go crazy (it simply mixes things). Again ruins prefs.

c) it will make the editor windows about 10000< pixels wide!?! Also mixes prefs.

Not due to low mem.

d)it mixes the names of object in Ares (when you look at the ship data by clicking the ship picts), it turns the flak into (only by name if lucky) plasma ball, HVD into Newo beam and so on.

e) I noticed that you cannot create neutral objects with ship weapons of your own. So a weapon that would replenish your ships energy is not really possible as the weapon would make an energy blob that is friendly to you. And recharging enemyships isn't very nice.

f) when using a weapon that does minus damage it can overcharge the ships shields up to anything until they go minus and the ship dies. And again you cannot do that to your own ships with own guns.

g) viewing sprites drains a whole lot of memory and that causes problems.

h) command-w doesn't work properly.

i) when importing sprites, wrong number of grids, when they are not shown and you press ok or whatever it was crashes hera (strange though).

j) the direction related button in the action editor (when editing sprite related actions) cannot be checked (useless?).

k) that already stated problem with cannot support more things, but only with few usually three cannot support any more sounds (doesn't crash Ares) obwiously due to the same reason.

l) The ready tutorial files have a dang lot of bugs, BIG BUGS, the completed tutorial one crashes Ares due to yet unknown reasons (have to check that), the second one has a problem with the beam gun (which reminds me ) and sounds.

m) a stationary non autotargetting beam weapon (like the Trazer) is not possible (why) and a non autotargetting T-Space bolt rod isn't possible, beam speeds more than 15 not possible (doesn't hit a thing).

n) adjusting kinetic beam lengths not possible (not a bug really)

o) when making multi staged weapons like the type two apulse I had some problems

1. the second stage I made to a pellet pellet gun, should have turned into a plasma ball that should have moved to the same direction as the first stage, but it just moved to one and only one direction (up) and nothing made it work properly. Does this have something to do with that direction related-button that couldn't be checked?
  2. dang! forgot.

p) Hera has to be restarted every time memory gets too low.

q) only the beam or the pellet of a weapon has to have the auto target box checked to make the weapon auto targetting.

Some that I am not sure about yet. I have to recheck them.

I'll send this to Bugs@ambrosiasw.com as soon as I can do that.

------------------
Strange just a moment ago I was flying through a dense asteroid field but now I feel quite cold And just what happened to my
H-Cruiser?!?

You forgot my bug of crashing when you try to delete an entire scenario with the "delete" key.

------------------
"...Cotton Mouse... to say that the plug is royally messed up is an understatement. I'm taking a look at it with Plug Checker, and some of these errors I have just never seen before..."-Obormot, debugger

ERA for EV:
www.geocities.com/rhysmctharin/erahome.html

(still in alpha stages)