Racial Specifics

I have determined a number of things, and decided others, concerning races in the ARES universe:

Advantages:
Grolk: 0.50
Gaitori: 1.00
Human: 1.40
Obish: 1.75 ()
Bazidanese: 1.75 (
)
Cantharan: 2.00
Ishiman: 2.15
Salrillian: 2.50
Audemedon: 2.75
Eleejeetian: 3.00 (*)

(*) These are official and can be extracted from the Ares Scenarios file. I have a well constructed template and readme for this. (url="http://"mailto:caalaklael@aol.com")mailto:caalaklael@aol.com(/url)caalaklael@aol.com

Zom and Doz are the twin gods in the Cantharans' Pathetically boring religeon, not priests.

The Salrilians are lead by the Oracular net, a bunch of computers, not actual Prophets.

The Audemedons are lead by a single chief consciousnees called Audemeda.

The Gaitori have a confederate-like governmental system.

The Bazidanese haven't got a central government, but a large collective of guilds with representatives.

The Audemedon Consciousness is called Audemedo, not Audemeda

------------------
I do not suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it

-Cantharan Admiral za'Grom
After the capture of Earth

Seems that democracy isn't that popular in the galaxy, is it?

Zhou, he didn't say the high priests WERE Zom and Doz, he said OF Zom and Doz. One priest of Zom, and one priest of Doz.

------------------
-Traek Cicion of the Taeskor

"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo

Zhou and I are having an email flame war (how did he get my address?); which is the Audemedon Central Consciousness called? Audemeda or Audemedo.

If it were Audemeda, they would be the Audemed a ns, but they are really called the Audemed o ns.

Think, but don't strain yourself.

------------------

Where are Audemeda and Audemedo mentioned, anyway? I didn't notice them in the game.

------------------
yeah, it's gone
fireworks and blown speakers
strobe lights and hurricanes
i'm not here
this isn't happening
i'm not here

-Radiohead, How to disappear completely (and never be found)

That's because they're BOTH wrong.

The AI is called Audemed.

Audemedo implies an element of masculinity, and the Audemedons (thankfully) don't see the need to personify themselves with gender.

Audemeda, while a cute name, also implies an element of Femminism. Ditto.

I think the names were mentioned in the ARES preview (that self expiring demo wayyy back in the 20th century) a while back; I also think it's in the prologue to HORNET'S NEST.

------------------
Last night, I played a blank tape at full blast.
The mime next door went nuts.

I happen to know that the Ishimans have a form of absolute democracy, and while I do not know, I think that the Humans probably will adapt a parlaimentary government because it is more effective then a our form of a republic because it allows essentialy unification between the Legislative and Executive branches, important in times of trouble. Also, beneath the high priests perhaps the Catharians have a group of kings, left over from the days before unification (caused by the interfearance by the Sals)

-Walter-

------------------

Nicknames/Govts

UNS (Resistance): Military
UNS (Alliance, after Misn20): Parliamentary
Obies: Representational Democracy, the Consensus
Ishies: ?, no space race could support 100% democracy
Jeets: Empirical, single emporer with regional governors
Zids: No classification, many guilds and one is dominant at any time
Gators: ?, what is a cowardly govt?
Auds: Audemed, central consciousness based on Axis
Sals: Prophets, supposed to relay from Oracular Net
Cans: Theocracy, Run by the high priests of Zom & Doz with underlings
Grolk: ?, nothing known

Decoded acronyms, with listed level reference

UNS: United Nations of Sol-preface
ISN: Ishiman Stellar Navy-level 3
GCS: Gaitori © Ship-Level 3
OMV: Obish Military vessel-level 2
EACSR: Eleejeetian (A) Civilian Ship Registry-level 13
WSB: War Ship of Bazidan-level 14
OHS: Order (H) Ship-level 10 internal

------------------
"If so, then how does one count to 10 on the Mac?"
"128, 127, 126, 125..."
-Pallas Athene, Member of the Obish Consensus

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**Nicknames/Govts

Gators: ?, what is a cowardly govt?

The Gaitori Union is most accurately described as a confederation. Back during the Gaitori-Obiard wars, The gaitori were EXTREMELY powerful. The Salrilians saw that should the Gaitori Win the wars and enslave Obain, they would become an unstoppable power. That's why they gave their cloaking technology to help even things out.
The Ishiman also gave some technology to the Obiards.
All species are equal. Some species are more equal than others.

Decoded acronyms, with listed level reference

GCS: Gaitori © Ship-Level 3

© = Confederate OR Carrier

Otherwise, I find this information MOST usefull. I'll use it in my plug and mention you in the credits.

------------------

So, you're going to finish your plugin? Another useful idea would be to standardize all of the ship pictures- We'd need a volunteer to do each of the Eleejeetian ships, the Bazidanese ships, and the H-Cruisers and other less common ships for each of the standard races.

------------------
"128, 127, 126, 125..."

Urr, let me rephrase that : if I don't scrap my plugin

If I do scrap Before They Sailed , I might give away my graphics, sounds, audemedon voices, and/or new stellar map.

------------------

Yes, the Obish were nothing compared to the Gaitori during their wars... they were actually 300 years behind the humans before the others helped them. Then the Cantharans bullied the Gaitori into helping them.

------------------
yeah, it's gone
i'm not here
this isn't happening
i'm not here

It is quite simple actualy, they have a large legislative body that created laws and then the rest of the Ishiman vote through a computer network. We could do it right now with our technology if we wanted. I am interested in seeing your ship graphics Slug, you should post a few on the web some place at the leaste to show off.

-Walter-

------------------

Originally posted by Walter:
**It is quite simple actualy, they have a large legislative body that created laws and then the rest of the Ishiman vote through a computer network. We could do it right now with our technology if we wanted. I am interested in seeing your ship graphics Slug, you should post a few on the web some place at the leaste to show off.

-Walter-

Yes, in Theory we could. In reality, never. That assumes that a. Everyone would have a connection to the internet and a computer (untrue, they don't.) b. Everyone has to want to vote. (They wouldn't want to) c. They could vote for whatever they want (ie, no Should the country's flag be A (red) b (white) or c (blue), it would have to be what colour should the flag be), so you'd need someone willing to look at every vote to make sure no one's is invalidated by a typo. Pure democracy is not practically possible beyond a certain population level. The Ishimans, with a massive star spanning empire, could never pull it off, not even with the most amazing computers in the universe.

------------------
yeah, it's gone
i'm not here
this isn't happening
i'm not here

Another thing (Generally useful information),

In Ares, direction might become a problem. However, with a specifically designated "stellar north" and "stellar south," this problem might be overcome. I looked at a somewhat 3D starmap and discovered that if the map orientation from Ares was assumed to be north as up and south as down, then an effective way of determining a ship's bearing would be to take the relative position of Wolf 359 and a nearby star using the redshift to determine distance and Wolf 359 to determine 0 degrees. Also, one would almost have to assume that in Ares levels, stellar north is always up as well. One thing to watch out for would be to make sure to mention "stellar" the first direction you give.
Two effective uses of this would be for a) to have ships tell you to head to the "stellar north" in levels, or 🆒 to give an excuse for your ship being lost.

I think I'll try compiling a history of the Obiards in the Ares Fiction section- feel free to tell me what you think I did wrong.

------------------
"128, 127, 126, 125..."

I agree with Newt, the only way to have a pure 100% democracy would be if everyone in the nation had tiny black holes in they're heads with transmitters and be able to comprehend everyone else's thoughts that they had.

P.S. I didn't come up with this, one of my friends did.

------------------
Sir! Our shields are dropping!
_What?!?
They're firing! _ says the lieutenant as a torpedo appears on the view screen.
Well, it seams you won't have the last laugh today Therg. Says Captain Fullers voice over the speakers.
Dang.
The torpedo strikes the ship removing it from the sky in a violent explosion.

It is so very simple I can not imagine how you would miss it.

Every adult on the planet (this is assuming their biology is in some way humanoid) has our equivalent of a computer with net access (of course, way more complex then that) Every ten years (or something like that) all the worlds elect representatives. The representatives all go to a central location where they create laws. These laws then must receave votes from 1/3 of the repressentatives
to go on to vote by the genneral populace. Courier drones go to all the Ishiman worlds with the proposed legislation and the all the voters discuss it for a while and look at tapes of the disscussions of the representatives before casting their votes. The drones then return carrying the votes of the people and they are counted. Local decitions could be made by a smaller scale version of this system, and emergency decitions would be made by the Representatives with out the approval of the genneral population. Of course, ajustments would have to be made for things such as communication time, but the basic system works.

-Walter-

------------------

Originally posted by Walter:
**It is so very simple I can not imagine how you would miss it.

Every adult on the planet (this is assuming their biology is in some way humanoid) has our equivalent of a computer with net access (of course, way more complex then that) Every ten years (or something like that) all the worlds elect representatives. The representatives all go to a central location where they create laws. These laws then must receave votes from 1/3 of the repressentatives
to go on to vote by the genneral populace. Courier drones go to all the Ishiman worlds with the proposed legislation and the all the voters discuss it for a while and look at tapes of the disscussions of the representatives before casting their votes. The drones then return carrying the votes of the people and they are counted. Local decitions could be made by a smaller scale version of this system, and emergency decitions would be made by the Representatives with out the approval of the genneral population. Of course, ajustments would have to be made for things such as communication time, but the basic system works.

-Walter-

What you propose is not a pure democracy; it's representative democracy with a referendum every time an issue needs to be dealt with. It's not pure unless everyone, average citizens eligible to vote, can propose legislation. Again, if in times of crisis the representatives vote for what they want, it's not pure democracy.

As I said, pure democracy becomes way too inefficient to be worthwhile beyond a certain population. After that you need representative democray.

BTW, does anyone else see a huge problem with the political party system?

------------------
yeah, it's gone
i'm not here
this isn't happening
i'm not here