Actually, problems w/EV-based scenarios

Here's a list of potential problems - correct me if they aren't problems or tell me if they can be fixed.

- EV has a limitation of 4 weapons, whereas Ares can only have 3

- Shields in Ares can only recharge halfway

- No armor in Ares

- Weapons can have unlimited power in EV (in other words, EV uses reactors while Ares uses batteries)

- Warp/hyperspace don't work together very well

- The missile in EV has a defect

- Actually, a question - can Ares handle spinning weapon sprites, thicker beams, and things like that?

- Blast/proximity radii in EV

- Fighters can be built onboard w/sufficient energy in Ares

- No disabling of ships

- No color-coded (or density-senstitive) radar

- Ships can collide in EV

- Asteroids get in the way in Ares (not a big problem)

- No afterburner (sniff)

- No missile decoys

I'm sure there's more.

Well?

Mike Lee (Firebird)

You don't need to spam the board, you should have just replied to your origional post. 🙂

------------------
"Well try to kill them with a fork-lift!"
The Notorious Bounty
Hunter,
Boba Fett

Firebird wrote:
**Here's a list of potential problems - correct me if they aren't problems or tell me if they can be fixed.

- No armor in Ares

- Weapons can have unlimited power in EV (in other words, EV uses reactors while Ares uses batteries)

- Actually, a question - can Ares handle spinning weapon sprites, thicker beams, and things like that?

- No disabling of ships

- No afterburner (sniff)

- No missile decoys

I'm sure there's more.

Well?

Mike Lee (Firebird)**

Here are some solutions as I see them:

-Kay, I don't see this one being fixed.

-So? It won't be EXACT.

-how's this? The numeric value for the shields in the Ares version is the EV shields + the EV armour. That halfway thingie means the shield generator's knocked out and you are damaging physical defenses. If nothing else, numbers stay relatively similar, especially if you make all the weapons do the same ammount of damage the EV versions did.

-give the weapon ammo, but a ludicrous ammount that could never be used up. Or just use the old meathod and make certain weapons use very little power (if consumption can be set to zero, you've got it made.).

-You have an FTL drive. It makes the blurry-star effect. It also doubles as an afterburner. Jumping out-of-system in a 2 player game would just be silly.

-really? huh.

-Well, the missles can turn, so multiple views of a projectile are doable. I dunno about spinning. And lightning is doable as a beam. But I could only guess here.

-Ships spray shrapnel when they explode...

-You mean ships can collide in ARES. And why not?

Uhm... This is getting kind of long and I'm too lazy to rethink or retype it in a shorter version. I don't think what you seem to want-Ares to turn into EV with the use of a plug in would work. What IS doable, however, is getting to finally spray a human opponent with a barrage from the ole needlegun hyper-velocity-rocket pod in multiplayer. Damn, I've forgotten the proper name for it.

------------------
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

-The Lord of the Rings

Yeah, I guess there isn't much that can be done about it, although it'd be nice if there could be.

The weapon name is Javelin rocket (pod).

Mike Lee (Firebird)

(QUOTE)Firebird wrote:
(B)Yeah, I guess there isn't much that can be done about it, although it'd be nice if there could be.

Is just getting into this forum, if this is a dumb post, please, be gentle

As far as I know, the editor isn't out yet. At least wait to despair until after the editor comes out. In EV, there were also 3rd party editors, so the ideas are not neccessarily dead, nor will they ever be, as long as someone is out there with a lot of time, and a lot of code. 😄

Captain Red

I checked this out. In EVO, very few ships have a full four weapons. Most have three. In EV, more ships have all four, but deciding which ones to sacrifice can't be too difficult. Take the Confederate Cruiser, for example. Who the hell uses Neutron cannons, anyway? Get rid of 'em, leaving a hangar bay, torps and turrets.

- No armor in Ares

That's nitpicking. Deal with it.

It's possible to make ammo-less, energy drain-less weapons in Ares. Take a look at the Onas pulse.

Set the light drive to zero, like on transports and engineering pods.

True, but no stock ships in EV can exploit that. EVO's another story, but it's really a minor point. The Zidagar have other advantages besides jamming.

Spinning Sprites: Sure, take a look at the fullerene Pulse.

Thicker Beams: Not according to the good Admiral G.

In the event that Ares can't do this, set up a ring of very dark pixels around the shot sprite so that they'll hit the target when the core sprite is still a ways off.

They can? Yikes.

- No disabling of ships

Yeah, but you can hack it like Nate did in Moons for Goons and Flagpod.

Long-range view pretty much takes the place of radar, and that does have size and allignment dependant sprites.

No they can't, but it should be pointed out that you ought to be able to turn off collision detection with hostiles (take a look at the Jammer in Hornet's Nest)

Once again, I think you can turn off collision detection for ships and leave it on for missiles, but why would you want to?

- No afterburner (sniff)

Eliminate the light drive activate/deactivate sprite and you've got an afterburner with a cool sound effect and funky star streaks.

- No missile decoys

Mike, be honest. Have you EVER successfully used decoys on a regular basis in EV/O?

-reg

Im sure that all these things must be accepted.
But remember, as long as it is possible to make forklifts in hera, everything will be fine...

------------------
- When in danger or in doubt,
run in circles, scream and shout. -

Who needs that fourth weapons slot? After all, We don't need not stink'n decoy flares! Any one who makes a an Ares EV related plug would be best offif they do not try to emulate everything in the E.V. universe but rather makes the plug like an E.V. plug, expanding on and improving the EV universe. Besides, that is simply more fun!

-Walter-

------------------

Hey! I've used decoy flares in EV successfully. I do it all the time. Usually I don't buy them for the faster ships, but for slow things like shuttles and scoutships when you're just starting out, those flares have saved my butt countless times.

------------------
For $800, name the 42 uses of spam...

You do realize, of course, that you can edit the warp in/out flares and the sounds they make as well. You could actually make the afterburner better than it was in EV. Then again, what do I know. I've had EV for somewhere between 5 and 7 years and not once have I used an afterburner. I have used decoy flares.

I didn't even know the Confederate Cruiser had a neutron cannon. But I've graduated from those Confederate ships. Ship Collection adds 3 Confeds, and the < blink>ALL POWERFUL ALIEN MARAUDER</blink>. Which fortunately can be purchased as a derelict.

------------------
No, I'm not that cruel. I don't use the flamethrower on my
enemies. I save that for my
allies.
-caalaklael, the trigger
happy obiard

(This message has been edited by caalaklael (edited 02-27-2000).)

It never fails to amaze me how people can overestimate the time they've been playing an outdated game.

EV was released in May of 1996.
It is now February of 2000.
Unless you were a beta tester, you have been playing EV for no more than 3 years and 9 months.

Sigh... that was kinda pointless.

-reg

------------------

Regulus: The only reason why I won't flame you is because you're a fellow Portlander. I think that it is wise to point out that almost ALL Ambrosia games are classics. I've been playing Maelstrom for at least seven years, and it still kicks major booty. So don't start dissin' the classics!

Firebird: So what? Who cares? This is a list of your gripes about Ares, and why you think that EV is cooler. I have news for you: I was playing EV back in the beta days. I love EV.

My point? EV completely different from Ares. The idea behind EV is a focus on plot, story, and personal freedom. The idea behind Ares is to put Command & Conquer in space. OF COURSE THERE ARE DIFFERENCES! GO AWAY UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING USEFUL TO SAY!

This post has been edited by Aithon : 04 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

Ok you want decoy flares, here are your stink'n decoy flares:

Have your ship outfitted with a bay that launches powerless, weaponless, small, round shining fighters with next to no shields. Providing the weapon is something like EV missiles or Ares C missiles it will go for the nearest target, the decoy flair. In Ares however only the players personal ship will be capapable of using flares properly so it is hardy worth it.

-Walter-

------------------

OK I know exactly how you can play EV like scenarios with absolutly no difference at all:

Go and play EV!

PS: I know I'm a bad speller

------------------

Wow, I thought few people would respond to this post...oh well, time to respond.

Go and play EV!

Well, the two main reasons I'd use Ares instead of EV for a scenario are the possibility of networked levels and the stretegic element of the game that is rather absent from EV.

Ok you want decoy flares, here are your stink'n decoy flares:

Not too bad of an idea. As for you guys who never use decoy flares I can't believe how dumb you are - they're essential tools. If you've ever flown a Clipper and had to dodge missiles you'll understand.

Who needs that fourth weapons slot?

Um, me? Well, maybe not, but first, it's helpful, and second, people do have a tendency to link EV and Ares sometimes, like creating an EV net scenario for Ares so it'll be the closest thing to net-EV, or creating an Ares "version" of an EV plug-in. As far as people who say it's not used often, it is. Take the Rebel Destroyer - none of those weapons can be sacrificed, and don't tell me that those rockets are useless because they are extremely useful (at least when the AI uses them against AI ships).

Mike, be honest. Have you EVER successfully used decoys on a regular basis in EV/O?

I'll be honest. I use it all the time. Gotta love that FH dust sprayer.

I guess Walter is right - it enhances people's creativity to have less of a connection to Ares. But I was thinking of writing a scenario which started in EV and then had a sequel written for Ares, and I like to take advantage of missile decoys, limited fighters, and four weapons slots.

Oh well.

Mike Lee (Firebird)

------------------

I'm a little cold. Maybe I'd like some flames-

Asterax is much better than Maelstrom 😄

------------------
Once caalaklael, now Pallas Athene
---
Athena, daughter and favorite of Zeus, half sister of Ares, goddess of wisdom and war