Plug-in Concept, Opinions Wanted

Well, I've noticed the dozens (OK, maybe less than that) of plug-in announcements going up here, but before I announce or even start working on a plug I want you guy's opinion on an idea.

It goes like this:
So far, Ares is an action/strategy game, and rightly so. You get briefed on the situation, and you go in and fight. A nice mix, fun to play, and from what I've seen, highly successful.

My idea is, to use the briefing/mission layout to full effect. If I design a plug, it'll be story -driven. What does that mean? It means the plug-in tells a story, which you read. It has chapters, maybe a page or so (in novel terms here) in length, and then you switch to battle mode, in which you're put in the situation the star faced and you fight it out. Once you've beaten your foes, you can move on to the next chapter. As the story progresses, the battles get bigger and bigger, and the scope of the story widens.

What do guys think of this idea? If you like it, I'll probably make the plug when Hera arrives. I've got plenty of graphics, etc to use and no lack of plot ideas.

Reply and say what you think.

Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

PS: Admiral: I really need to know this. Will picts containing a 6x6 grid of rotational shots (ie, an EV sprite), with a variety of different sizes, work with Hera?

(This message has been edited by Sundered Angel (edited 02-13-2000).)

Sounds insanely cool 🆒
Does anyone know where I can get an OK (or good/great/sucky) 3D/"2 1/2D editor?
2 1/2D is like EV/Ares; It's 2D but somethings are higher or lower.(i.e. in ares planets and some other things are "higher" or "lower" than your ship/weapons 🙂

------------------
Melkor is all powerful.
Melkor is the leader.
Melkor...... IS

Hey! That was my idea for the story driven thing! 😄 Nice to see other people think that it's a cool idea.

------------------
Commander-in-Chief of the Nijayias Interstellar Navy.

Hmmm. Apparently I've ripped off someone else's plug already. Oh well. Only one way to solve that problem... Make sure mine's better!
You'll never defeat me!
Mu-ha-ha-ha!
<Ahem> Anyway, all seems go right now. Any other input?

Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

PS: Morgoth: If you're looking for a program to design ships for Ares/EV, try Mechanisto. It can be found at(url="http://"http://www.escape-velocity.com/archives/editors.html")The Official EV Site(/url). It takes a bit of practise, but eventually you can design quite cool ships and weapons with it.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

(This message has been edited by Sundered Angel (edited 02-13-2000).)

Hmmm. Well that thread went dead pretty fast.
Anyone else out there, are you SURE you don't have anything to say?

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Well, my plug concept was similar to what this is! Damn! I was planning on, for the plug I've been working on (not planning on using more than 3 sprites that aren't already in the game,) Mercenaries, I was planning on doing something very character driven, with each member of your team having different motivations. The first half of the mission briefing would be similar to a comic book, with dialouge and such. Following this, the actual briefing would be shown, with the map, ships involved, ect.

BWT, I'm not planning anything epic, just a good storyline based around the humans after the crusade. Shouldn't take long to do once hera's out publicly.

------------------
Lewis,
save yourself the pain,
you'll never get there.
-Radiohead, "Lewis (Mistreated.)"

Don't worry, my plug will entirely centre around one character, and take place in a different setting anyway- No "Way too epic" problems that way.
Hmmm, like a comic you say...
Well mine will be more like a novel.
Interesting to see how they both turn out.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only