Plug-In Review Forums; read and respond

When Hera is released there will no doubt be a multitude of plug-ins created, but how will people know which ones are worth downloading? My suggestion is simple: get a group of people from the board, prefferably experienced, have them play through the plugs, post their oppinions in a restricted topic (one that requires a password) if possible, come to a consensus on the rating (1-5, 1-10, something like that), and post the rating on the web board and/or the axis page.

Here are my nominees for potential review board members:
Myself
Aithon
Fleet Admiral Darkk
Vegeta
Boba Fett
Commander Cicion
Pax
Admiral Dennis
Admiral Grammaticus (if possible)

There wouldn't be this many people in the review board, I was thinking about five or six would work the best. A good blend of opinions, tactics, graphical tastes, etc. is a must.

Give me all the usefull suggestions/feedback that you can.

------------------
"They're everywhere!"- hapless victim #203948

This was already discussed quite some time back, and it was decided that if possible, Pax would make a section of the Axis a public review forum where people could post text reviews of a plugin. (Oddly enough, Pax didn't want a small panel like the one you suggested reviewing the plugs, but he was all for admin dictatorship on this board)

Andrew has said that with the revamp of the Ares site, there will be a comprehensive add-ons page with reviews made by one person or several people.

Which of the above will ever actually work out remains to be seen - Pax isn't getting paid for doing the Axis, after all, and he isn't that good with the scripting a review forum would need. Why don't you call back when we actually have an editor and plugins?

------------------
Replicant
www.axis.n3.net

Well, I'm not an Overlord, so I only think it would be fair if I was part of the plugin review group... It wouldn't be a good idea to have only one person.

------------------
"Well try to kill them with a fork-lift!"
The Notorious Bounty
Hunter,
Boba Fett
judygeof@ix.netcom.com

Since the Axis has already expressed interest in doing this themselves, I don't think (but then I'm not an axis member so I'm not sure,) that they'd want to be involved in 2 seperate review boards. But really, someone could just start a review thread and people could post reviews there, so unless another Ares site starts up there doesn't really need to be any set review board.

------------------
In the next world war,
In a jack-knifed Juggernaut,
I am born again.

Erm. My past position on open reviews made sense, but only not knowing about the upcoming ares redesign. I would say we should wait and see what the new design looks like before worrying about any sort of review system. If whatever Andrew includes in the new design isn't satisfactory, the Axis may do its own thing, we'll see.

Regarding my varying positions on community involvement, I know from Myth experiance that when looking at maps, there are very different preferences over a wide range of people. I, for example, would pan WWII for a variety of reasons, while some huge portion of the community loved it. I wouldn't want my own personal bias to cloud a plug that others might consider good.

------------------
Pax - Drew Harry
sagitar@earthlink.net
(url="http://"http://www.axis.n3.net/")Ares Axis - axis.n3.net(/url)

"...they say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?" - Terminal 2, Where are monsters in dreams, Marathon Infinity

True... there's a lot of difference between public opinion on a plug and public opinion on a justice system.

------------------
Replicant
www.axis.n3.net

Ohh, you got me there Pax. 🙂

------------------
"Well try to kill them with a fork-lift!"
The Notorious Bounty
Hunter,
Boba Fett
judygeof@ix.netcom.com