The Lepton Turret: a proposed new weapon

I think that an autotargeting lepton turret would be an effective defense weapon. Slap it onto a carrier and any fighter that comes within range gets vaped. Could hold off cruisers and gunships, even. The only problem would be energy usage. I have not played Ares in a while, and I do not remember how much juice it uses.

------------------
Commander Cicion, commander of Audemedon 6th fleet

"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo

A lot. I do think it would be useful for gateships, and mine will have one...

------------------
Commander-in-Chief of the Nijayias Interstellar Navy.

What exactly do you mean by "Mine will have one"?

------------------

-Han Solo

In case you haven't noticed, I am making a plug.
One of the gateships in it (the Ish/Alliance one) will have a lepton turret or a multiple lepton turret.
Would you like to be an inner circle beta tester?

------------------

Sounds interesting, Admiral...

------------------

-Han Solo

Is that a yes? If so, please email me at FA_Darkk@hotmail.com to get your info packet.

------------------

If you ask me, lepton turrets are a little overboard. You could basically kill an HVD with a carrier if it had one.

------------------
In the next world war,
In a jack-knifed Juggernaut,
I am born again.

I dunno, I'm thinking some amazingly cool battles would occur if all ships had turretted weapons. Much more like capital ship combat than the lower level stuff that happens now. Slow all the ships down, turret all their lasers, maybe get some higher power projectiles, and then keep around cruisers and fighters. They would provide good distracting cover for turreted capital ships to take down enemy capital ships, ie the enemy would be trying to target the fighters/cruisers while your ship beat them down with turrets.

I dunno, just something that's been brewing for a while. Look at EV, most battles in that have turreted lasers, and its still fun.

------------------
Pax - Drew Harry
sagitar@earthlink.net
(url="http://"http://www.axis.n3.net/")Ares Axis - axis.n3.net(/url)

"...they say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?" - Terminal 2, Where are monsters in dreams, Marathon Infinity

I have nothing against turreted weapons. I think that they're cool. But Ares ships are mostly very manouverable, so forward firing isn't too much of a drawback. It's just that a lepton turret would be so powerful. It'd be insane.

I think that a cool concept for an Ares plug would be some kind of Epic Ares where it's based more around carriers and larger fleet battle, where there'd be more room for turrets. Problem with ares turrets is that they shoot the closest baddy, not your target. That really limits their usefulness. Of course, targeting is more for moving around fleets, so I dunno.

------------------
In the next world war,
In a jack-knifed Juggernaut,
I am born again.

You could make the Lepton turret eat up a ton of available power (a third? an eighth?), and have a slow rate of fire, making the ship it is on a sort of Death Star, but it would be vulnerable to enemy fighters. This would make for some interesting strategys.

------------------

Or you could just make it gateship only. Gateships are supposed to have powerful weapons.

------------------

I swear, Darkk, if you use the word 'gateship' again in any serious post... =P

It's bad enough that you think gateships are balanced additions to an arsenal, and worse that you think somebody would ever save up enough resources for what a gateship would have to cost, but in some of your posts you've suggested that the player would actually be forced to PILOT something that slow and stupid. That would have a fun factor of about -4, and wouldn't even be challenging - all you could do is hold down the fire button and let the computer aim the turrets for you. No piloting skills required at all.

As for a lepton turret, I think it's a good idea. With some balancing of energy use and accuracy, you could put it on anything from a heavy cruiser to a carrier.

------------------
Replicant (url="http://"http://www.axis.n3.net")www.axis.n3.net(/url)

(This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 01-31-2000).)