Brainstorm, Brainstorm Brainstorm.

Put your thinking caps on, cos we need a new RPG round these parts. Any ideas, even those which have already been done, just post ideas, they don't even have to be practical ones.

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

Do we want an action based RPG? Do we want a politico RPG? Do we want something in the traditional sense of an RPG? Do we want a group-told story?

Just some food for thought.

Personally, an action based RPG would be a nice easy starter. And as a group-story.
Needs some ground rules though.

------------------
"That was quick."
"Well you know, when you don't do it right it doesn't take as long."

How about an ares RPG minus making up anything, that way the groundlines start set, besides, this is the ARES board.

------------------
That is all.

Well yeah, but we need to have at least a small idea of where its going. Before we start.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

It's not a bad idea to know how we'll get there either.

------------------
"That was quick."

Although my appearances here are more rare, I think that for a good RPG you need alot of emotional interaction. So I think it should be political. However Ares RPGs may not appeal to some people (we've done it.)

Of course, I would recommend a brainstorm where you suggest one random thing and then put it into the 'idea' pool.

I'll go first...

There is a technology that allows people to be mentally controlled, but this wears off in time depending on the strength of the controlling factor, and many conceive resistances to it. People who have had it used on them usually end up with permanent mental damage.

There is a single superpower that is about to fall apart.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
opinion change 9/24/02: Human society is a complex metaphor for slavery.

Well, Darkk just resurrected an old RPG that could go for some re-vamping.
Very dark and apocalyptic.

------------------
"That was quick."

it is hard core post-apocalypse Salril, Gaitor and Earth have been slagged. The Audemedons are gone. The Ishimans are locked up, and the Salrillian Axis is about to descend into civil war and economic collapse. Also, everyone hates humans and we're dying out. I smell post apocalyptic nazi government time!

Or we could go for our Marine Squad RPG.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

Post-apocalyptic. The whole phoenix from the ashes thing is appealing to me.

'Course, a nice and small marine RPG would be kinda fun too. Not exactly Ares (I mean, marines are pretty darn universal) but it'd be damn fun. And the locations we could go to.... Visit Paris! See the Pyramids! Travel to distant planets. Meet exotic life-forms. Kill them.

Mmm... go ahead and start it. I'm in.
I wanna be the sniper though.
------------------
"That was quick."

(This message has been edited by El Spamo (edited 11-09-2002).)

Either's fine with me.

------------------
-Traek Cicion, barkeep extraordinaire
"PS: If nothing's working around here, it's because I'm laughing so hard."
-Durandal

Well, if you like the post-apocalyptic one, we can do that, as obviously Darkk is into it, and I'm cool with it too. The only trouble I find is that to fully understand it, we need to recap a lot of material. Here's something I've taken directly from one of my posts which kind of sums it up, but if I were you and intent on rejoining, I'd go back and read from Chapter 1.

Ok, here goes the recap I wrote. This is spoken from an Ishiman perspective, as this is taken directly from one of my posts.

The Prophets of Salril are in a very tight spot politically, economically and militarily at this time. They had made a significant investment into the Cantharaan war machine long before we sponsored the Ares crew in their fight to liberate Sol. The great success of that operation left the Cantharaans and their powerful navy trapped, and events conspired to prevented the Salrillians from donating aid to the Cantharaans.

Immediately following our annexation of Sol and the UNS as a temporary Protectorate, the Salrillians funded an Audemedon invasion force that took Earth, and invested significant manpower in their effort to subdue the Humans, who mounted a large resistance movement with the help of a significant amount of aid from the Reestablishment Committee, which funded several joint technological ventures with Obain and Elejee that allowed the UNS resistance forces to do a significant amount of damage to the Salrillian war machine. The series of lightning raids that the UNS resistance launched, combined with the rise of the United Earth Confederation and their fleets under former UNS admiral Gerald Levt left the Salrillian Navy's infrastructure in very poor shape.

At this point, approximately 18 months ago, the Audemedon Axis seemed to desert the Prophets. The Audemedon fleet simply abandoned the defence of Salril, leaving the UEC fleets to rush through and make use of a direct jumpgate to Sol.

Upon secureing Earth, the UEC entered a campaign of ruthless slaughter against Salrillians and Cantharaans, which soon grew into a genocide against all other races. Sources show that this was driven by the megalomeniacal Emperor Gerald Levt, who had apparantly been driven to madness by his long and painful escape from a mission in the Audemedon Axis during which he lost his wife.

At the same time that the UEC's fleets were roaming the galaxy, the Salrillians brought together the largest combined fleet in history, including Gaitori, Cantharaan Obish and Salrillian ships under the name of the Woven, and planned a full scale assault on Earth, which they executed with deadly timing, catching Sol with its fleets far away in the field.

Unfortunately, the Woven made a large miscalculation, and despite their threats to level all life on Earth, UEC fleets returned and proceeded to destroy a tremendous portion of their Armada.

The rebelling Audemedon Axis took advantage of the Salrillians just as they were engaging the UEC at Sol, and attacked and destroyed all life on the surface of Salril useing unknown weapons while the Woven were in combat over Earth. The weapons used by the Audemedons have never before been seen by members of the Ishiman Stellar Protectorate.

The battle of Sol went very badly for the Woven fleet, and they were only saved from a rout by the sudden and mysterious appearance of Phylidion forces. The motives of the Phylidions still remains unknown.

Since then, the Salrillians have been continually hassled by the rebel Audemedon, and their vast reserves of materials is beginning to run dry. In the last few months, imports to Salrillian space have quadroupled, and exports have stopped almost entirely. Our spies indicate that the Salrillians are in dire straits. Their economy has been strained by these last few years of war, and the loss of their navy and their homeworld has left them in shambles. They have been deficit spending for many months now. The government is in considerable debt, and much of the populous is in poverty. A less totalitarian government would have let the nation collapse into economic depression long ago, but the question still remains, how long can they last.

Two weeks ago, an attack by the Prophets of Salril destroyed all life on the surface of Gaitor. The presence of Salrillian fleets in Gaitori space combined with the shear scale of the destruction and loss of infrastructure has had played a large part in the fact that there has been no official response from the Gaitori Government. At this time, the Ishiman Stellar Protectorate has stopped all trade with Salril, which has precipitated several similar motions by the Elejee, Badizan, and, surprisingly, even the Obiards.

Along with all this, pirate activity has increased fiftyfold over the past six months, most notably, attacks perpetrated by a group flying under the transponder tag "AZK's Raiders." Flying a mix of stolen Cantharaan and Salrillian equipment, this group has been targeting in particular convoys moving to and from the newly opened Phylidion frontier.

So there we go, I'll let you mention where your characters fit in.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

Let me guess, Gerard Levt was played by Slug?

------------------

(This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 11-12-2002).)

Someone give this man a cookie.

He did have a fairly obvious paradigm. I always suspected that Slug had more than a couple screws loose in his head. He did manage to write a good story though. A shame he decided to leave.

------------------
"That was quick."

Slug is back, in case you didn't know... he posts as "Limax" now.

(Edit: P.S. sign up for the (url="http://"http://www.magleague.net/")ares tournament(/url) 😄 )

(This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-13-2002).)

He's back very occasionally, though, so I doubt he'd rejoin the RPG.

------------------
"All truths are relative, except for this one."

Probably not. I remember him as being that sorta person that doesn't like to forgive or forget the smallest slight.

Hearing that, he'd probably come kick my ass. 🙂

------------------
"That was quick."

You don't have to bend over backward just cos he's a hub, man. don't you know he doesn't like that, even?

Sangorn Mongorn Pn!

Nm.

------------------

(edteld)

------------------

(This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 11-24-2002).)

Um, yes.

------------------
"That was quick."

Originally posted by El Spamo:
**Um, yes.

Congratulations.

------------------
Boo.