RPG Revamp Clarification thread

Here is where you post all that Out of Context crap for your RPG posts. Here I shall post my summary of the RPG as it stands as well as links to other RPG stuff

Ok, here goes the recap I wrote. This is spoken from an Ishiman perspective, as this is taken directly from one of my posts.

The Prophets of Salril are in a very tight spot politically, economically and militarily at this time. They had made a significant investment into the Cantharaan war machine long before we sponsored the Ares crew in their fight to liberate Sol. The great success of that operation left the Cantharaans and their powerful navy trapped, and events conspired to prevented the Salrillians from donating aid to the Cantharaans.

Immediately following our annexation of Sol and the UNS as a temporary Protectorate, the Salrillians funded an Audemedon invasion force that took Earth, and invested significant manpower in their effort to subdue the Humans, who mounted a large resistance movement with the help of a significant amount of aid from the Reestablishment Committee, which funded several joint technological ventures with Obain and Elejee that allowed the UNS resistance forces to do a significant amount of damage to the Salrillian war machine. The series of lightning raids that the UNS resistance launched, combined with the rise of the United Earth Confederation and their fleets under former UNS admiral Gerald Levt left the Salrillian Navy's infrastructure in very poor shape.

At this point, approximately 18 months ago, the Audemedon Axis seemed to desert the Prophets. The Audemedon fleet simply abandoned the defence of Salril, leaving the UEC fleets to rush through and make use of a direct jumpgate to Sol.

Upon secureing Earth, the UEC entered a campaign of ruthless slaughter against Salrillians and Cantharaans, which soon grew into a genocide against all other races. Sources show that this was driven by the megalomeniacal Emperor Gerald Levt, who had apparantly been driven to madness by his long and painful escape from a mission in the Audemedon Axis during which he lost his wife.

At the same time that the UEC's fleets were roaming the galaxy, the Salrillians brought together the largest combined fleet in history, including Gaitori, Cantharaan Obish and Salrillian ships under the name of the Woven, and planned a full scale assault on Earth, which they executed with deadly timing, catching Sol with its fleets far away in the field.

Unfortunately, the Woven made a large miscalculation, and despite their threats to level all life on Earth, UEC fleets returned and proceeded to destroy a tremendous portion of their Armada.

The rebelling Audemedon Axis took advantage of the Salrillians just as they were engaging the UEC at Sol, and attacked and destroyed all life on the surface of Salril useing unknown weapons while the Woven were in combat over Earth. The weapons used by the Audemedons have never before been seen by members of the Ishiman Stellar Protectorate.

The battle of Sol went very badly for the Woven fleet, and they were only saved from a rout by the sudden and mysterious appearance of Phylidion forces. The motives of the Phylidions still remains unknown.

Since then, the Salrillians have been continually hassled by the rebel Audemedon, and their vast reserves of materials is beginning to run dry. In the last few months, imports to Salrillian space have quadroupled, and exports have stopped almost entirely. Our spies indicate that the Salrillians are in dire straits. Their economy has been strained by these last few years of war, and the loss of their navy and their homeworld has left them in shambles. They have been deficit spending for many months now. The government is in considerable debt, and much of the populous is in poverty. A less totalitarian government would have let the nation collapse into economic depression long ago, but the question still remains, how long can they last.

Two weeks ago, an attack by the Prophets of Salril destroyed all life on the surface of Gaitor. The presence of Salrillian fleets in Gaitori space combined with the shear scale of the destruction and loss of infrastructure has had played a large part in the fact that there has been no official response from the Gaitori Government. At this time, the Ishiman Stellar Protectorate has stopped all trade with Salril, which has precipitated several similar motions by the Elejee, Badizan, and, surprisingly, even the Obiards.

Along with all this, pirate activity has increased fiftyfold over the past six months, most notably, attacks perpetrated by a group flying under the transponder tag "AZK's Raiders." Flying a mix of stolen Cantharaan and Salrillian equipment, this group has been targeting in particular convoys moving to and from the newly opened Phylidion frontier.

And now here are the chapters you should read to try and get a good Idea of what's going on.

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000152.html")Chapter One - A new beginning(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000159.html")Chapter 2 - After the Fall(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000163.html")Chapter 3: Prelude to War(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000166.html")Chapter 4: Space Race, the opera(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000170.html")Battle of Sol Comm Frequency(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000169.html")The Fall of the UEC: Coordination(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum11/HTML/000157.html")Clarification(/url)

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

I disagree with the events and the possibility of their occurances greatly, but I wish you luck with the "new" rpg, it seems very developed.

------------------
That is all.

Well its an RPG. I don't think that its really that likely either, but its what happened. I can't change what people had their characters do. Also, its not "new", its old, it started back in 2001, and then it died and then there was a new one.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

(This message has been edited by Captain Pharris (edited 11-12-2002).)

Eh? Ares RPG? Where?

(Yes, n00b here, oldie to EV/EVO, not been on the EVN boards. Known as Wedge Antilles in the UEVORPG for those who know it.)

Originally posted by Captain Pharris:
**Well its an RPG. I don't think that its really that likely either, but its what happened. I can't change what people had their characters do. Also, its not "new", its old, it started back in 2001, and then it died and then there was a new one.

heh, when I said "new" I meant old, I didnt know a good way to say a new old rpg.
Blair: A new rpg is under discussion, it does not exist yet, if ya want to go read the old ones there all over the place in the officers club history.

------------------
We are condemned to be free.

Yeah, I understand. If by developed, you mean bogged down with too much backstory, then hells yeah, but that's irrelevant. People have posted, and that means we gotta ride this thing as far as we can. Remember: if something is worth doing, its worth doing right!

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

Originally posted by Pyro

Mind explaining this rubbishy quote?

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
opinion change 9/24/02: Human society is a complex metaphor for slavery.

There is no way that I will read a single chapter of that immense RPG my friend.

Instead the summary you provided is quite adequate... however I do not like the idea that everyone who formerly 'owned' a faction is now out of it (except for some old timers like you and el spamo.) Slug himself is out of it.. and he basically shaped the latter RPGs.

So ...

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
opinion change 9/24/02: Human society is a complex metaphor for slavery.

Slug certainly shaped much of the RPGs, but when the UEC was defeated, his role was essentially finished. There was definitely a need for him up to the Battle of Sol, but Chapter 6 is essentially the start of new storylines in the same universe.

To say that "everyone who owned a faction is out of it" is kind of misleading as well. There were only 5 factions that were ever really owned, and of the three, one was defeated (the UEC) and 3 leaders are still around (Ishimans, UNS, Phylidions). To some extent, I was controlling the Obish, and I intend on rejoining the RPG in the near future.

------------------
"All truths are relative, except for this one."

The backstory is worth reading, since it is fairly good writing (mostly).
But as far as jumping in now, there's really no better time.
Just keep in mind the basic elements: Humanity is largely enslaved, Salrillians are on the verge of collapse and everyone is trying to recover from a war and scrambling for position.
Oh yeah, and I'm leading the human resistance so HANDS OFF. 😉
Or at least let me know if you're gonna play that card so I can write accordingly.

Gah, as soon as this round of exams is over (Friday) I will have time to put some serious thought down and actually develop plot. Wretched school. It'd be much better without all these damn classes all the time.

------------------
"That was quick."
"Well you know, when you don't do it right it doesn't take as long."

Originally posted by El Spamo:
**...Salrillians are on the verge of collapse and everyone is trying to recover from a war and scrambling for position...

In case you've forgetten, I'm in control of a large porition of the Obish military (discounting standing fleets). That offensive force pretty much disappeared after the Battle of Sol - but it's about to make a reentrance. And remember, I'm pro-Salrilian :evil:

I was considering starting up a Human character, since that would be more central to the RPG, but I don't really have any ideas, especially considering how little of the big picture I can get from just reading the posts.

------------------

Originally posted by Joveia:
Mind explaining this rubbishy quote?

heh... It's an explanation of existentialism by some author that I don't remember. I, myself am a pretty firm believer in existentialism so I thought that it might make an interesting sig.

------------------

I would say that to really have a grasp of what's going on, you do need to read the whole thing and read it carefully. I mean the summary I posted is OK, but it ignores the stuff that Darkk's character did, and the developments made "under the table" about the UNS. Read!

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

Originally posted by Captain Pharris:
**I would say that to really have a grasp of what's going on, you do need to read the whole thing and read it carefully. I mean the summary I posted is OK, but it ignores the stuff that Darkk's character did, and the developments made "under the table" about the UNS. Read!

Not going to happen - but I did read Ch6 carefully, and I was a participating member before that. Besides, what I'd need to know in order to start a human character is some more details about this new thread. You seem to have been keeping it deliberately vague as to what the intentions of the the current characters are, which makes it hard to create a character that supports/opposes said intentions.

I'm not saying you have to reveal everything; I'd prefer recruiting propoganda to a complete dissertation. Decisions based on incomplete information will make for a more believable character, and some interesting conflicts down the line.

------------------

You know I was just about to post something about broadcasting the intentions of your characters and allowing openings for other characters and respecting other's characters and their intentions and all that. The thing is, Darkk and I usually talk on GR or AIM, and I haven't seen him recently on either, so I donno. We shall see.

------------------
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?

I might join the RPG soonish. Probably within a week, if I do join.

------------------
"Social lives are for the weak."

Well hurry up and join in again.
Just pick up where you left off, or start something new.

Make sure you read the backstory though. That's important.

------------------
"That was quick."

**Well hurry up and join in again.
Just pick up where you left off, or start something new.

Well, there are still the issues with figuring out which of the current threads I should support. If I hear a little more about Darkk's intentions, I might want to start a character on his side. Otherwise, I'll probably start a UNS pilot hiding in the Lalande System (under your command, of course).

Of course, I still intend on using the Obish, but that's currently sideline stuff.

------------------

• Dark Side: Gates gives $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux, Thomas C. Greene, The Register, 11.13. $100m over 10 years to fight AIDS in India; $421m over three to fight Linux. Priorities.

I'm not sure of Darkk's intentions either, but I think he was planning on changing to a role controlling the bad guys. Just a rumor though. I doubt he'll really shelve his current character.
Having someone keeping the Obish in play would be nice. They are a medium power faction that would have a lot to gain from the current turmoil in the galaxy, not to mention annexing the rich areas of UNS territory.

------------------
"That was quick."

**Having someone keeping the Obish in play would be nice. They are a medium power faction that would have a lot to gain from the current turmoil in the galaxy, not to mention annexing the rich areas of UNS territory.

Actually, it would be much more in character to have them annex the Gaitori - and right now, the Gaitori are unlikely to be able to put up any real resistance. Although, again, I'm talking about the Obish military, which is currently in semi-mutiny. The Free Worlds are sympathetic towards Gaitor, but I'm talking about right-wing militants who are pro-Salrilian.

------------------

• Dark Side: Gates gives $100m to fight HIV, $421m to fight Linux, Thomas C. Greene, The Register, 11.13. $100m over 10 years to fight AIDS in India; $421m over three to fight Linux. Priorities.