New RPG In Town

As I seem to recall, it was weapons like that which made the first RPG so distasteful. Everyone had to come up with a superweapon that made everyone else's look like a firecracker, then someone else would come along with another one that made the previous equally pitiful, ad infinitum.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.dissectional.com/swf/index.html") Dig a little deeper (/url)
(url="http://"http://www.axisnet.f2s.com")=Axis Software Integrated=(/url)

SIGH..... Look, I previously stated that it is NOT a superweapon! That is what happens if the EVAT MALFUNCTIONS AND EXPLODES! The Thermonuclear engine fizzles a little, athers some energy, and goes boom. It cannot be used as a weapon. Everyone PLEASE get this into their heads, you obviously are't paying attention. THANK you.

------------------

"If history is to be changed, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh."

Well look, the suits we are using are not fusion powered, they use a battery. It lasts fourty hours. It doesn't contain enough energy to blow up that big.

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

Despite the fact that it isn't a superweapon, it can just as easily be used as one. Why would there be any real need for something like that anyway?

If you want it not to fall into enemy hands, then make it of some sort of organic material. Have it disintegrate if it detects that there is no longer a lifeforce in it and a special code was not entered from within.

Isn't it just as effective?

Without making a "not a superweapon"?

------------------
"Welcome to our Pirate outpost. Please enjoy your stay, and realize that any irregular actions can and will be used against you in the afterlife."

Here's the stuff relating to my character:

UNS Pegasus:

The UNS Pegasus is the result of an experimental UNS program to develop elite assault transports. After seeing how well the Ishiman heavy cruisers worked, they decided to mimick the idea, but for a noncombat ship class. Heavy ATRs are essentially heavily modified gunships. Five of them were constructed, each as expensive as a UNS Carrier. They turned out to be dissapointing. The project was scrapped, as it was far more efficient to build their costs' worth in normal ATRs. Only two heavy ATRs remain, as the other three have been destroyed.

Heavy ATRs:

Weaponry: two fusion pulse reactors (stolen technology (from the Ishiman)), two heavy shell gun turrets, a concussion missile bay + 150 concussion missiles.
Armoring: The shielding and armoring were both dropped drastically from gunships. Heavy ATRs have about half of the shielding and armoring they had when they were gunships. They also had their superlight boosters removed to free up more space.
Marine Assault Type Things: The five crew members have all been trained in combat and are equipped with shotguns that fire explosive slugs. The heavy ATR also has ten nimble combat drones that each have two assault rifles that fire armor-piercing rounds, as well as a grenade launcher and two grenades. The ships carry two tanks that have large rams on the front, to be combined with their heavy energy packet cannons to smash their way to any part of a station. The tanks also have mines and six low-power missiles. Heavy ATRs can carry up to sixty marines and have many cable launchers to perform fast pickups.

Mag Steelglass:

Mag is the pilot for the UNS Pegasus. He has been trained in ATR piloting, ship-to-ship combat, person-to-person combat, and marine operation tactics. He uses his shotgun, as well as two special swords he found while the Pegasus was investigating a derelict ship that has been assumed to have belonged to smugglers of illegal technology. The swords are the size and shape of short swords, and use shield generation technology to create an incredibly sharp edge, capable of tearing through steel quite effectively. Mag mostly uses them for melee combat, although he's gotten very good at throwing them and using them to move about more nimbly.

------------------
"Cleanliness is evil. Embrace the mess!"

That COULD NOT work. Bio-organic wouldn't work, what if you get stranded in space and a passing ship tries to give you an EVAT to help you, to take you in the ship or at leats give you some time, or you are weaponless and spot an EVAT somewhere else?
I'll go with what I have, but sigh drop the exploseive stuff. 😉 Anyway, Darkk, you make the first scenario/setting, you made the webstory. That gives us all soemthing to start with.

------------------

"If history is to be changed, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh."

Suggestion.

Create a new topic, titled along the lines of "RPG Reference information". Those behind the storyline make the first few posts, outlining the details of setting. Who the characters are (Vacuum EVATs from a specific Earth Marines Squadron, correct?), what equipment is available (Kinlas, machine guns, EVAT suit capabilities, Pharris generated this well), and the basic premises upon which characters should be made. In this case, I believe it is a functional squad member of an EVAT squad, or someone who will very shortly become part of said squad.

Then, everyone outlines their character in a way which fits in with all this, with minimum bending of capabilities, technologies, and plotlines. That might spur a few inter-character relations ideas (Tim met Joe on Planet X, and they've been arms buddies ever since). That kind of detail can be worked out in between players over email and in separate topics to add depth to interaction between the characters.

Finally, once the characters are established, and rooted firmly as members of the squad and universe, a fully immersive RPG will proceed naturally. I imagine that this would take no more than two to three days, assuming minimum fuss over limitations, and will result in a much richer and more rewarding story.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Originally posted by Danielnma:
Ballistic C-100 ChemFlex Laser Rifle

Fires a wild spray of shots in the surrounding area, each ricocheting (sp)
of walls at and incredible speed. The more they bounce, the more powerful they get, but after a while they just dissipate.
It can also be set to fire shots at a high speed at one target.

nice gun, odd ability though, maby if its high powered and gets weaker the more it bounces.

Originally posted by Danielnma:
Hey 9024, how about the next part includes you stealing one of the top-secret prototype EVAT's?

cool i was hopeing that i could be a part of an operation like that.

------------------
"Time is only a guide
line"

(This message has been edited by 9024 (edited 05-02-2002).)

Well, I've got the storyline I was developing going off one way, but it seems like it will go off for another simple assault (not really a continuous plotline).

Perhaps we could keep a continuous set of assaults such as Chapter 1 going at all times - with minimum necessary background in the Ares universe, and no prior reading required.

Then, in tandem and run along similar lines, we could run RPGs where there were themes that carried through a series of chapters. The same kind of progression as with previous RPGs, but with the kind of combat that we've been trying now.

(For example:)
(Current Assault: Tay Lem Astromining Complex)
(Chapter 2: Onward and Onboard)

------------------
"Welcome to our Pirate outpost. Please enjoy your stay, and realize that any irregular actions can and will be used against you in the afterlife."

I actually like that idea a lot. It allows people to determine their own level of involvement. Nice!

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 2B is going to be a cohesive plotline anyway.

------------------

Ah, well. We could count it as not being <whatever that word is they use for official starwars/startrek books>. At any rate, the world will keep on turning.

I was looking at the top bit for the heck of it, and noticed the stuff about ship-to-ship fighting. I think we could use things like what I've set up, as well as having to get ATRs to specific places (with ship-based resistance) to do this. Perhaps the next mission could be something along the lines of a normal Ares game that involves a bunker station, and the EVATs need to capture it for some strategic battlefield advantage or another. (I don't think resource generation will work. "After the station was cleared of enemy resistance, it magically began helping the factories on the planets be able to build ships in three seconds instead of five.")

------------------
"Cleanliness is evil. Embrace the mess!"

Well, Ares-speed resource generation is too fast to be realistic anyways. If a gateship were to cost the same as 20 HVDs, then it actually wouldn't be a major blow to the Cantharans if they lost it. It'd only be a couple hours before they could build a new one.

It would, however, be interesting to try detailed Ares-style play; it could proceed as in a normal Rock game, except that EVATs would be responsible for taking stations/repelling enemy EVATs, and there would be a couple players controlling fleets.

For an added twist, we could have Admirals and Commanders on both sides of the battle.

------------------