Idle Banter: The Thread!

So I couldn't sleep the other night. Fortunately, I had my handy-dandy sketchbook (and it was a NEW one, too...) to while away the hours untill the sun came back up, and in it I decided to re-do the artwork I did for my Ares Net Portrait. Gotta have something to keep me occupied while I wait for my money order to get to Ambrosia so they can send me those wonderful magic numbers, eh? I NEED A CREDIT CARD!!!! But that's a rant unto itself. I'm being profound here.
Okay, I like my old icon (he says, as if anybody on the forum's actually seen it). It supposedly depicts a spider but no two people are able to agree what it actually looks like when shrunk down to icon-size and then put through that interlacy-green-filtered-thingamajig that actually brings the picture very close to its original size, but nowhere near the definition of the full-sized picture (which actually looks kind of like a flea). So, the obvious thing was to use my shaky kindergarten-like talents to draw a new, more simple icon that wouldn't lose too much if shrunk. And I did it, by gum! By 6:00 this morning I had put the finishing touches on background webbing around a less scribbly, less complicated, top-down-view version of my wonderful nearly-front-view sketch of the same. At 10:00 I got around to scanning the sucker. It shrunk to icon-size beautifully, and, with some darkening made a decent icon, too. And here I am, typing this, because nobody wants to play Ares so I can't see how my icon looks in pre-game chatroom! ARRRRG!!!

I posted two falsehoods in the above post. Can anyone spot them?
That's right.
(list=1)
() I wasn't being profound at all. That was a shameless excuse to try out UBB formatting. No, it's not difficult at all, but I spent a week on Bungie.net typing 'i' or 'b' in front of everything I typed after I found out what that did before the novelty wore off.
(
) It's not true that nobody wants to play Ares. If nobody wanted to play Ares, there'd be no enthusiasm for the Ares Bulletin Board or Hera. Clearly there is. Just nobody that wants to play Ares is available to do so I am also fond of run-on sentences complaining about it isn't getting my extremely spiffy icon any more tested.

I know this is completely random (after all it is Idle Banter), but is it normal for snakes to come out of the bathtub faucet when you try to take a shower? Because that's what happened to me this morning.

------------------
"They're everywhere!"- hapless victim #203948

Having posted that, I am now going to open a random complaint topic.

------------------
"They're everywhere!"- hapless victim #203948

Well, here I am. Kabe the not-so-magnificent. I'd love to play an ares net game. I've never tried it, so i'd probably be bad...but oh well. How do you make/change your net portrait? just shrink an image down to icon size and put it on the "my net portrait" file? well NEway, I'd love to play a net game and look at your netportrait some time. e-mail me at nepenthes@email.com

Someone pass me a juri juice!

------------------

K@BE

Move on to b.net2, where you can use "|i" and "|b" instead!

------------------
---
Pax
sagitar@earthlink.net

"Four Score and Seven years ago, our father brought forth on this continent a new nation, concieved in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." - President Lincoln

I WISH I could move on to B.net 2.... sadly, the phrase '75mhz ppc603' holds a lot of meaning for me and Myth 2 is not quite as... efficient in multiplayer as Myth 1 was.
Of course, if I could run Myth 2 I would have become as single-minded in my gaming as I was with Myth 1. And then I never would have discovered online roleplay and missed the chance to play with an extremely talented group, I never woulda found WebRPG, and, most importantly I would never have discovered how damn cool Ares is! And then Ambrosia wouldn't have my money coming towards them. Because if Ambrosia didn't get my money, maybe they would give up production on Hera. And because they quit production on Hera, we would all start drinking heavilly in a period of mourning only to find out that we are alcoholics. And the strain on our famillies would be too much, leading that one member of every familly, you know the one that was always just a few steps away from insanity? Well they would all decide to stiff their dealers and not pay them back for those five pounds of coke out of spite... One thing leads to another and pretty soon Prime Minister Jean Cretien's been assassinated, Premier Ralph Klein is leading a unit of 'Fry-Guy Shock Troopers' that were trained in a secret underground McDonald's army base, Ex-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's dying and then coming back as the walking dead, and Bill Clinton is devising ever more ingeneous uses for a cigar. Then Yakuza would do a drive-by-shooting which takes the life of a Buddhist monk who had just discovered the secret of immortality. And we wouldn't want to lose the secret of immortality just so I could play Myth 2, would we?

All that over a Performa 6200?

Uhm... Sure. If a Monach Butterfly can beat its wings and start a tornado on the other side of the world, then NATURALLY the position of a much larger and heavier computer would have even MORE drastic consequences!
Oh, an update on my condition since last rant for anyone who cares. Nobody? Right. So today I went on to Gameranger and got myself a game to play. And the icon I drew looks SWEET in the pre-game chat! It actually has a passing resemblance to a fuzzy ping-pong-ball with a lot of legs and eyes! Which isn't far off from a spider!!!
Then I finished playing that game and checked my mail. AND I GOT MY REGISTRATION CODE!!! YES!!! Huzzah! More Races!!! More Multiplayer Maps!!! Particularly Scratching Post!!! And Steal the Flagpod which I notice nobody really plays but which sounds cool!
Uh... now that I feel allright to participate in tourneys having access to all the maps and all... are the weekly tourneys just drop-in things?

just a little prank to resurrect the oldest thread on the forums that i found in the dusty murky depths of the ambrosia webboards. it wasn't locked, so no one said i couldnt send it out on a little spin, did anyone? 😉

------------------
Captain of the SA.SC.Pern
SA.SC.Pern=Shadowcat Alliance, Star Commander, Home port
Shadowcat Alliance = merchant clan
Star Commander = rank in clan

Binki, do you use Gameranger and if so then what's your screenname? Not saying I can play multi (20k connection) but just curious.

By the way, since when could unregistereds post in the ares forum? Not bad, but it's just weird.
------------------
And so Shrout1 finally arrived
And there was Excessive Cheating™

(This message has been edited by Shrout1 (edited 01-09-2002).)

Wow. Now there's some OLD posts. I wonder if you can find any older.

------------------
Madness takes it's toll; Please have exact change.

Blink

Now that dates me. I remember Sargatanus's post about snakes coming out of faucets.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Good night! I didn't even look at those dates! I thought it was a little weird there were unregistered users posting on the Ares board. Wooops!

------------------
And so Shrout1 finally arrived
And there was Excessive Cheating™

bwahaha! i got you good! and to think, that just bringing up an old dead thread from the grave got someone talking to a mummy whose bandages aren't wrapped up properly. bwahahahahahahhahhha..ha...<gasp!>...<gag>...<mumble mumble>
an enraged person comes out of nowhere, punches the daylights out of him, gags him, and leaves him to the rest of the ares webboard members to do as they choose to the helpless prankster
<uh oh!> Piemur manages to think before the first wave gets to him...

------------------
Captain of the SA.SC.Pern
SA.SC.Pern=Shadowcat Alliance, Star Commander, Home port
Shadowcat Alliance = merchant clan
Star Commander = rank in clan

So, what has happened to these archaic members? Have they all moved on to a better, less time consuming lifestyle? Or is Binki still wandering the boards, haunting them night and day...

Is Binki someone else now?

------------------
"You will find that your device is highly non-functional...." - Bad Guy

Come visit the (url="http://"http://nova6.pautsch.com/forum/intro.lasso")Nova6 Webboards(/url).

(This message has been edited by Shrout1 (edited 01-24-2002).)

Aaw, now I'll never know what the spider icon looked like.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, use more duct tape.