Help!!

I am using "Mascot Editor" and I cant figure out how to Make conversations or books work. Ben, Help meeeeeee!!!!! (Oh and I am making a level that everyone(More or less)Likes! Keep watching the D/L site!)

Dr Tall swoops to the rescue!

Conversations:
Insert the conversation ID into Info (0) of a speakable sprite to run the conversation.
Conversations will start on the first line and continue downwards unless otherwise specified. Insert the character's name, picture ID and the text you wish to display in each line. For a simple conversation, just keep moving to the next line and typing more conversation.

Click the "Edit" button to open the Response, If, and Action section of a line.

If conditions
-------------
1: true if player has <arg> coins or more
2: true if player has item of type <arg> quantity <arg2>
4: true if flag # <arg> is set
5: true if player permflag # <arg> is set to <arg2>

Where it says <arg>, insert an appropriate value.

Action conditions
-----------------
1: remove <arg> coins
2: give player item of type <arg> <arg2: how many>
3: remove item of type <arg>
4: set permanent flag # <arg>
5: set player permflag # <arg> to <arg2>
6: Open Door, First info= the number in the Rock barrier's Info (0) second info=3
8: permanently validate sprite <arg> on level <arg2>
9: destroy this sprite permanently

For items, use this list:

1. silver key
2. gold key
3. plat key,
4. magic potion
5. health potion
6. Fire nuts
7. Locket
8. Hammer
9. Poppy Muffin
10. Algernon Peice
11. Algernon Frame
12. Algernon
13.Gwindendon
14. Shield
15. Magic Shield
16. Smite Ring
17. Escape Ring
18. Ice Pick
19. Multi Crystal
20. Light Orb
21. Vorpal Dirk
22. Red Xichrons
23. Rez Necklace
24. Fire Charm
25. Mist Potion
26. Zir. Seeds

If the IF conditions are met, the conversation will advance to the line you specify ( the box is beneath the IF clauses) or enter 0 to let the conversation continue to flow. If the IF conditions prove false, the conversation will jump to the line specified beneath the ACTION clauses.

If there are no IF conditions, the conversation will run the ACTION conditions and advance to the line beneath those clauses.

If responses are entered (above the IF and ACTION clauses) both the IF and ACTION clauses will be negated for that line. When the player presses the advance button on the conversation, if that line has responses, they will be displayed on screen for the player to choose from. Then the conversation will jump to the line indicated to the right of the response text. Make sure you connect these right because if you leave them as 0, the conversation will continue to flow normally. That should be everything...

I don't use books so I don't know how to use them.

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better

Please read the FAQ. It's not there for my benefit (actually it is sometimes, but that's not the point I'm making 🙂 ). Let me point you to a good start about conversations:
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum;=Mascot+FAQs&number;=59&DaysPrune;=20&LastLogin;=#15")http://www.AmbrosiaS...0&LastLogin=#15(/url)

Books and plaques but NOT signs act the same as characters: they take a conversation resource.

------------------
Greetings - I am your friendly neighborhood moderator. Over the coming years I shall force-feed you my biased one-sided liberal tripe that I find truthful based upon my own faulty and fragmented logic; excessive smileys 🙂 🙂 🙂 and bizarre TexT! formatting also help clarify my inane points. Welcome to the boards!

THANK YOU DR. TALL!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!! !!!
!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! !!!!!!
!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I am hopeless. I am trying to write a book (So to speak) and I tried to follow the instructions, I realy did but I cant figure it out! I made the conversation but I cant figure out how to shove it into the book!!

Meh (Sigh wimper wimper)

I have never used a book but it is my understanding that you simply put the conversation ID into the Info (0) of the book. That is second-hand knowledge, I have never tried that.

------------------

Grave's also act as conversations.

------------------
Chalmers: Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? A this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
Skinner: Yes.
Chalmers: May I see it?
Skinner: No.

If anyone is on right now and has AIM (And knows how to make a book speak) I would like to chat.

a) Write the conversation as you would any other...it would probably be only the book talking, but it doesn't have to be that way.
🆒 Put the conversation ID in INFO(0) of the book. If the conversation is ID 205, for instance, you would put that in the first field of the book's info area.

------------------
Greetings - I am your friendly neighborhood moderator. Over the coming years I shall force-feed you my biased one-sided liberal tripe that I find truthful based upon my own faulty and fragmented logic; excessive smileys 🙂 🙂 🙂 and bizarre TexT! formatting also help clarify my inane points. Welcome to the boards!

Does the conversation ID have to be more than two #'s?

It can vary, usually three, though.

------------------
Chalmers: Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? A this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
Skinner: Yes.
Chalmers: May I see it?
Skinner: No.

The conv ID can be, basically, any number ya durn please. 🙂

------------------
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. --Socrates
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas Edison
Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability. -- Flowers A. Newhouse

Can someone make a convesation in a simple level (a level in wich there is only a book) and I can copy and study that!

We could, but it's not particularly useful to do, because there are tons of conversations in the default levels you could study. Check out geroditus for simple conv making stuff. Go to rojinko to learn how to do a choice (and give items/take money). And so on. Don't expect to dive in and learn it all overnight, it took me a long long time to figure it out, in my opinion it's the hardest part of level making, with the possible exception of the parallax backgrounds (but I usually get around those by copy/pasting level info).

------------------
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. --Socrates
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas Edison
Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability. -- Flowers A. Newhouse

I apologize for a reply that does not exactly connect to the rest of the post, but I'm unregistered, and the title was "help".

I downloaded Mascot and have been using it with great results, but I have only been able to sue the information on the FAQ online to help me because the documentation won't unstuff properly. Would anyone be kind enough to send a copy of their own? Thanks,

Tan

First of all, the MASCOT read me file is pretty incomplete and second of all you dont' have an e-mail address listed so I guess no read me for you 😉

------------------

I figured it would be better to directly email someone that was interested in helping me, than to just post my email address. All am interested in is how to work objects and bonuses that have dfferent functions. An example is the moving platforms or treasure chests. Thanks again,

Tan

I agree Your not missing much. If you realy need help its all in this topic! Also look at gerodious (Is that how you spell it?) His conversation # is 201! (Hint: try making a conversation thats # is 201 and up(It worked for me!))
:rollin