Arguments

Can sombody tell me how to pronouce Ares.
My Brother and I have been having an argument.

Is it pronouced like ResEdit with out the 'Edit' and with an 'A' in the front?
Or
Is it pronouced like the greek god?

------------------
PI=3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097

They're both pronounced "Air-ease"

------------------
Time is the best teacher, yet it kills all of it's students.

Just for the record, there is no difference between "Ares" as the game name and "Ares" as the god name. The game was named after the God.

And yes, Slug is his usual correct self. "Air-ease", best pronounced with a Greek accent.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Your value of pi is incorrect.

I thought it was pronounced like 'Air-es'.
BTW, The greek god Ares, what was he the god of?

------------------
Falling inlove is when he lays in your arms and wakes up in your dreams...

Athena: war

Count: dont start, really, dont.

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.

Originally posted by Athena:
**I thought it was pronounced like 'Air-es'.

In ancient Greek, it is. 'Air-ez.'

------------------

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
Your value of pi is incorrect.

What is it then?

------------------
PI=3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097

Originally posted by White Fire:
**What is it then?

Oops, wrong answer...

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

22 over 7.

To date, no human has ever successfully transformed this into a decimalised number.

No, 22 over 7 is just pretty close. Try using a calculator to convert 22 over 7 to decimal. Instead of going 3.1415, etc., it goes 3.1428, and continues on. Pretty close, but not quite.

------------------
"Whoever said that the pen is mightier than the sword was on something."
(url="http://"http://www.MSPlugDevelopment.n3.net")My Ares Website(/url)
Plug reviews are appreciated...

You know, you guys pick the wierdest arguments.

------------------
Falling inlove is when he lays in your arms and wakes up in your dreams...

(This message has been edited by Athena (edited 07-04-2001).)

Originally posted by Mag Steelglass:
**No, 22 over 7 is just pretty close. Try using a calculator to convert 22 over 7 to decimal. Instead of going 3.1415, etc., it goes 3.1428, and continues on. Pretty close, but not quite.

Correct. Makes me wonder...

You think Pi's bad? It's those "Unreal numbers" which annoy me. I mean, what is the point of dealing with numbers which aren't just irrational, they're not even real?

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

It's the fault of our decimal system, that pi cannot be expressed properly. Therefore one must assume that their exists a better decimal system, one perhaps that does not use base 10. I will investigate this further...

I seem to remember getting into this debate with a friend's dad once who happened to be a math proffessor. What we ended up agreeing on was that a fully functional system would be based on function and proportion instead of absolute value. The problem we figured is that most of the general population wouldn't grasp it, and switching over it would be far too difficult for society to cope with. I'd write it up here, but i haven't got the time and I'd have to invent symbols my computer wouldn't recognize.

------------------
The Oracular Net would like to know your favorite color
(url="http://"http://www.axisnet.f2s.com")=Axis Software Integrated=(/url)

(This message has been edited by Sargatanus (edited 07-05-2001).)

Yes, once again the loathsome population drags us down to their level.

If I could, I would seperate society into 2 levels, the 'upper crust' would be forced to use that mathematical system, and we would revel in the pleasure of understanding pi, and the lower crust would use the decimal system, and would work in the mines/do menial labour. Thus, utopia is reached.

Takeover by benevolent, sentient AIs seems better and better everyday.

I theorise that, if sentient AIs decided to take over, they would keep humanity around for amusement value. An immortal being with a really sick sense of humor would probably find us really funny.

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

...for us. We'd have to do some serious planning to start with - eliminate unions, maneuver the general populace against each other for a couple years, and then "magically" draft a treaty to settle things (and incidentally put us at the top). With luck, they'd realize how much better it was under us and not against each other, and let us keep our position.

Alternatively, we could get a rampant AI intent on world domination, got one handy? (looks in Darkk's direction)

I'd be quite interested to hear about this system, though. Sarg, it's always possible to design a webpage (or have me design it for you) that uses .gifs or .pngs (my newfound obsession) to represent these characters. I mean, I'm actually taking a math philosophy class here at camp, and it'd be rather interesting to introduce it 😉

On another point - who here is a Platonist? Formalist? Constructivist? I'm not actually sure what I am. My opinion is hovering between Platonist and Constructivist as far as I can tel, but it might actually be formalist.... oh well, I'll talk to the instructor and have her evaluate my thesis.

"Math exists independently with fundamental principles laid down which cannot be violated Man takes these fundamentals and uses them to form more complex descriptions for certain functions he requires and to describe the solutions to problems in his work and nature."

------------------
"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land somewhere and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel.'"
"I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor."
"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mister Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork "

I'm not sure about the AI thing I mean, how do we know how an AI would behave? For all we know, since they didn't compete for millions of years in evolution, they might not have a 'survival of the fittest' view towards life.

Humans are a lot more intelligent than we give credit to ourselves, it's just that we don't know who to use that intelligence correctly. For instance, there are some children (ortistic) who have wierd abilities because of their ortism, in the way they can concentrate their mental energies on one task so completely, it is as if they are a machine themselves.

1 kid, about 5 years old was found in the hospital bouncing a ball up and down a wall with his twin brother. Whenever he caught the ball, he would recite a prime number, the next highest with no discernible difficult, hesitation or limit to the number. He had not been taught prime numbers, but only the most basic numerals. Conversly, there is a caretaker at an obtuse university that can tell you what the weather was like in any day of his life, and also what day of the week it was on any year.

Humans you see, are already vastly complicated organic machines. The human brain just lacks the will to grasp these complex things... thus 'consciousness' itself is not some kind of gift, but a 'block' to thought. The boy who could do the prime-number thing a majig could not do so while in a conscious state, and as he is now older he could not replicate the feats of his youth. I attribute this to 2 things:

Language
Being aware of the world around you

Language as we know makes us of words, and words we use so much they ingrain themselves into our conscious thought, not just when we speak. You cannot think the mathematical equivalent of 'how are you' but must think 'how are you'. This would ordinarily present no hindrance, however, their is also a speed factor. When we speak to other people, we must speak at a certain rate, or they won't understand us. While pitifully slow, this rate is the only way we can communicate. Thus, not only do we bog down our mind with words, but also with the slowness with which we use them.

Being aware of the world has an important effect too, as we cannot be aware of it at an AI speed of thought without becoming bored very quickly. In fact, there is an automatic reaction to this 'speeding up' of our mental processors which does in fact occur at certain moments in our lives when emotional, hormonal, or other processes reach a certain stage in our bodies. This reaction is to slow down. If we did not, then our thought would be out of synchronisation with the world around us, and we would end up mentally defective.

The neuron pathways in our brain are much more complex than the entire planetory network of Earth, but hampered by flaws which are even larger.