Variety is the spice of life, too much can spoil a dish, we don't have to worry...

Forget it!

(This message has been edited by Cotton Mouse (edited 12-13-2000).)

Well....that was interesting.

------------------
I have a plan so ingenius even an idiot could have devised it. On my command, we will line up our ships and fly straight into the enemy death-cannons clogging them with wreckage.

Fine; I said that this board has no topics other people can post in, just planetarion and RPG stuff, and we should start new things.

------------------
"Just because I'm evil doesn't mean I'm not nice."
--Charlie Fulton

You're absolutely right. That's one of the major reasons I'm thinking about leaving the Ares boards.

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

I'm going to start something new.
It's based off a multiplayer game experience I had.

Also, I'm planning to reinstitute the weekly tourney once I get back in January (I may or may not be inactive for much of the remainder of December).

------------------
Error: target is violating the laws of physics
Error: target is locally exceeding c
Error: unable to determine if target exists or not
Error: target cannot be hit

(This message has been edited by Fleet Admiral Darkk (edited 12-15-2000).)

Originally posted by Avatara:
**You're absolutely right. That's one of the major reasons I'm thinking about leaving the Ares boards.

You are? That's the first I've heard about it.

We used to have some fine arguments here; but these days people introduce mechanics gleaned from Hera, and seem to think that solves things. I'd post a few recent multiplayer battles, except I've had none.

Perhaps someone who's actively crushing people on GR could post a game transcript for us to argue over?

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**That's the first I've heard about it.

Of course, I've keep it quiet until today. I have nothing to post in except the bar, planetarion, (in which I see no sense in posting about) or the RPG (which people are complaining because I haven't posted, I'd like to catch up but 80 new posts a day isn't helping). Those hera discussions I don't understand, as I've only made one of the tutorial scenarios with Hera, and the multiplayer talks I see no point in arguing over. Sadly, I'm left without options and bored. I'm not leaving all of the boards (or giving up my moderator position) but I am considering leaving the Ares boards, as there are fewer and fewer reasons for me to post here.

Of course, I have a few other reasons but those are more personal...and can't easily be dealt with.

------------------

Well, I'm not crushing people, but I am playing (and getting crushed some).

Reevaluation time: Aud carriers. I played a guy (Valdez, I think it was) and he pretty much kicked me across the map all the time unless we were different races. I built the standard 1 gunship per 3 cruisers as auds, and he built some cruisers, some gunships, and some carriers. We met in the middle and he kicked my rear. Anybody see that coming?

Also, he once beat me after building a human carrier, but my ATR had died from a green asteroid and he had a resource lead.

------------------
Error: target is violating the laws of physics
Error: target is locally exceeding c
Error: unable to determine if target exists or not
Error: target cannot be hit

Finally, someone who shares my views on this. I keep checking the ares boards without posting because everything is so concrete.

If anyone is interested, I could "run" an RPG set in a different continuity than the one Sargatanus and Sundered have been running.

See where my niche theory got it's roots now, Darkk?

And Avatara: Don't leave the boards. Just give us some ideas for topics you'd be willing to post in, and I'm sure we'd make some.

------------------
"Oi, oi, oi, me got a hurt n here
Oi, oi, oi, me smell a ting is near
Me gonna bosh and me gonna nosh
An da hurt'll dissapear"

Well, if anyone is interested we could always start a different RPG alongside the current one; different plotline, different direction, different characters (but same names).

But this is just one of many things we could do.

We could start a multitude of columns: Debates, plug reviews, strategic discussions, technical rants, or something I was thinking of doing a while back-the "weekly aphorism"

We could always spew out amusing and barely relevent things like "hehe" and "Ares related ways to confuse your (insert social interaction group here)".

All that is required is for someone to sit down and type something out.

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

Hm.
I was wondering when this was going to happen.
A message board can't stay static on one particular topic all the time. It has to change and adapt to keep people interested. In short, talk about ares and then talk about other stuff too. Yah. I agree with Sarg and Mag.

The problem with the RPG, is that it's hard to keep it good with so many people, and keep it coordinated with a plot. But we can always try. I'm more in favor of the debates. They're something where you can put your opinion in.

------------------
Ne Cede Malis Sed Contra Audientor Ito

Well since nearly everything I've posted lately has been of the 'This topic is now locked' variety, I'm all for those ideas.

Originally posted by El Spamo:
**I'm more in favor of the debates. They're something where you can put your opinion in.

Until people have posted five posts before you read the topic. By that time, both sides have been stated with mostly good arguments and it doesn't leave much room for your opinion, as you'd just be restating what everyone else before you said. That's the problem with debates.

A second RPG? (bah, even more for me to read ;)) That might work...or might not. I've found out in Cythera (where we run about four or five at a time so people have choice) that the first RPG tends to get less interesting and die off as the second RPG gives everybody a chance to implement something new they couldn't in the other. Of course, I would like to see Sundered Angel and Sargatanus allied again but...

Previews of plugs? (keep in mind I'm pointing out the bad sides too) We seem to have lots of those in the Engineering Dept. The person making the plug also has to know the "right amount" of information to give out. If you give out too little, the priview was pointless. If you give out too much, people will know what to expect and what happens, and when the plug comes out they won't want to play it (seeing as they know what happens and most surprises). Also, a flood of priviews for plugs is going to send the moderators spinning in circles, probably having to replace their computer from having so many preview topics to load. Of course, it gives some people a topic to discuss, whether or not this feature should be included (like distress signals on a transport) but for others, who don't want to ruin surprises and avoid those topics, they are no better off than before.

------------------

Originally posted by Avatara:
**Until people have posted five posts before you read the topic. By that time, both sides have been stated with mostly good arguments and it doesn't leave much room for your opinion, as you'd just be restating what everyone else before you said. That's the problem with debates.

Yep, completely true. And also, if the debate topics aren't broad enough and people don't have intricate knowledge of the subject matter, say for example, 'Would <X> be able to beat <Y> in a fight?', then it always comes down to the same two or three people slugging it out, just quoting from technical manuals or whatever.

Still, all these debates and what-have-you would be an improvement over the current state of the boards.

------------------
I have a plan so ingenius even an idiot could have devised it. On my command, we will line up our ships and fly straight into the enemy death-cannons clogging them with wreckage.

Well, I mean the debates can be about anything... Maybe something more like a <i>discussion</i> which isn't as much as a contest of wills, but more of a pool of ideas and opinions that people can talk about.

Of course, you have to spark the right kind of discussion.
Just stay away from politics. Another board I was on kinda got swallowed up by that and I had to leave for a whle. :rolleyes:

------------------

Originally posted by El Spamo:
**Maybe something more like a <i>discussion</i> which isn't as much as a contest of wills, but more of a pool of ideas and opinions that people can talk about.

Does this topic count? 😉

------------------

Maybe I could go register a new name, and be an ******* , and try and bring down the boards, Nothing unites people like hatred, you know. Too bad so many moderators are active posters, I'd prob-... I mean, a rebel like that would probably get banned before he could say "Damn look at how much ares sucks"

------------------
Sorry, no spite intended,
Edited for your safety.

(This message has been edited by Captain Pharris (edited 12-17-2000).)

That was a tad spitefull...

Sarcasm I'd hope.

Yes, this does count, even if the topic isn't exactly... pro-board. Oh well, that happens.
My HTML is a bit not working... damn.

Speaking of b@astards bringing down boards, the Fates Warning board is recently plauged by scumbags that generally impersonate others and make a big nuisance. Good thing that we've got passwords here. 🙂

------------------