Sigh...

I was taking a look back at the older topics and realised how mundane this place has gotten. The ship debates, the tournements, the Axis, the hayday of the Officer's Club Bar, the fallen comrades (far too many to list), all of these are gone. What happened? Will (can) we ever get that kind of status again? If so, how?

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

(This message has been edited by Sargatanus (edited 08-17-2000).)

Ah, a very good question, old friend. There were a lot more members back then, that was when Ambrosia had just rereleased Ares and the world was watching. Now, the older members have already gone over such matters and the newer members aren't really interested. So it just fades away...

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**Now, the older members have already gone over such matters and the newer members aren't really interested. So it just fades away...

Not entirely true...
I'm almost positive there are more members like me in the galaxy, who are new and are just looking for an opening to introduce themselves in the Ares community. Also, I've been looking back through some of the old posts like the one about the ring around Salril (?) and I agree that doing something like that (not exactly the same, like not another ring around a planet) and letting the Ares community (including us new guys) join in could boost up the morale of the Ares boards.
In addition, I learned about Ares in mid-June (with the free CD thing), and I still enjoy it (sadly, I haven't even beaten the game, stuck on lvl 15) Although I have enjoyed Ambrosia games since Aprieon was released, as I said I learned about Ares later than most people, so there is a possibility the Ares web boards will grow...

There is some hope left...
🙂

Cotton Mouse, your negative attitude is starting to get to me. Do you want me to leave the boards again or something? :frown:

------------------
I do not suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it

-Cantharan Commodore za'Grom
After the capture of Earth

Just give him some time. He's been trying to be a moderator for forever, and he's never gotten to be it, even though he's one of the oldest ones here. This has happened before, and time was about all the solved it.

------------------
"I can ail what cures you."

As if to prove my point. ahem Notice that in the last week and a half 60 people (not counting my one alias) have registered and at least three new people (besides me) have appeared on the boards. Plus, now Mag has that ship debate that became a challenge debate so there is a good chance. 🆒

There is hope...

------------------

(This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 09-01-2000).)

How do you know that?

------------------

What? The new members? Look near the top right when you first go to the web boards page. When I first posted on this topic there were 2404. Now its above 2460. The three new people. You yourself have replied to them. They dont seem like aliases of someone else here. And they registered recently.

------------------

That member counter is for the boards in total, not the Ares boards. Just a reminder.

But, yes, we are getting new members here. Which can only be good.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Or bad.

------------------

Sundered Angel:
But, yes, we are getting new members here. Which can only be good.

Wishful thinking, perhaps? 😉

Well, maybe. Maybe. But surely at least a few of the new members will be intelligent, rational human beings?

On second thoughts, maybe not.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Remember how the EV community was during the ev.com days? It was just like the Ares community is now. Then it got bigger and look at it now. The Ares community is growing, what with the release of Hera.

That's one of the reasons Andrew made me a moderator.

------------------

That makes sense. You can't have an expanding board with only two active moderators.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

On a totally unrelated subject, I've changed my signature

------------------
_After the Alien wars, our civilisation was left in the stone ages. The core worlds were supposedly decimated, yet I cannot shake the horrible feeling that something has survived. _

-Polaris Confederacy Admiral Canaron,
StarLance

Its good unless they are like OctoberFost or (sadly) Eminem.

------------------

Originally posted by Sargatanus:
**I was taking a look back at the older topics and realised how mundane this place has gotten. The ship debates, the tournements, the Axis, the hayday of the Officer's Club Bar, the fallen comrades (far too many to list), all of these are gone. What happened? Will (can) we ever get that kind of status again? If so, how?

Just looking back at a few of the older topics, you guys had it all then. Now... :frown:

I don't think we can really get that status unless something big happens or some of the old members return, but the best we can do is try to get as close as we can...

I really suggust inviting more Ares people into stories and stuff. (like you did with the ring) As long as it doesn't get out of hand. It may help with morale here. :wishful:

------------------

Yes, the Ring story was good. It's progressed into "The Buildup" now, but really all the pieces are in place and there's no room for new characters.

It's a fair enough idea, running another. What I'm worried about is the general maturity level of the boards- even in the Ring Saga we had to keep control of the tendancy for people to say "Oh, I command a million ships each better than the Salrilian Carrier."

It could well happen again, and when everyone wants to inflict total casualties on each other in a battle without a single loss. Sigh Oh well.

Actually, that reminds me of a huge argument in the Trash Talk forum with Aithon getting pissed off about all the "Admirals" and "Commanders" on the boards. A bit of an over reaction, I guess. But still rather amusing for those who didn't get too involved.

We could do with a little more of that on the boards, actually. Anyone up for a huge argument in Trash Talk?

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

**Yes, the Ring story was good. It's progressed into "The Buildup" now, but really all the pieces are in place and there's no room for new characters.

It's a fair enough idea, running another. What I'm worried about is the general maturity level of the boards- even in the Ring Saga we had to keep control of the tendancy for people to say "Oh, I command a million ships each better than the Salrilian Carrier."

It could well happen again, and when everyone wants to inflict total casualties on each other in a battle without a single loss. Sigh Oh well.

Actually, that reminds me of a huge argument in the Trash Talk forum with Aithon getting pissed off about all the "Admirals" and "Commanders" on the boards. A bit of an over reaction, I guess. But still rather amusing for those who didn't get too involved.

We could do with a little more of that on the boards, actually. Anyone up for a huge argument in Trash Talk?

I'd be in the argument. Even the buildup if I could. My character is a mercenary and could easily fit in. I mean, if war breaks out wouldn't you think people would want to hire good mercenaries to help. Sargatanus himself said mercenaries were going to be needed shortly. (its just that no one has come into the officer's bar and hired me :frown: )

What's this argument going to be about?

------------------

**Anyone up for a huge argument in Trash Talk?

Just the question I've been waiting for! :evil: