Who has that line...

Who has that line that goes something about a fly trap and republican?

------------------
"D*** The torpedoes... FULL SPEED AHEAD!'
Admiral David Glasgow Farragut, Battle of Moblie Bay.

october fost has a quote like that

------------------

Yeah, it's a bit wierd too.

------------------
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour... Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Polaris Confederate Recruitmant Theme
StarLance

You reckon? I like it. Except maybe replace "republican" with "politician" and you'd have it right.

Sheppo

------------------
[http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page
Yeah](http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page<br />
Yeah), so what if I'm an Emo Nerd?

No, Republican is fine.

------------------
"I can ail what cures you."

I find that offensive. I'll say nothing more.

------------------
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour... Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
StarLance

Originally posted by Slug:
**I find that offensive. I'll say nothing more.

Oh my...

I guess great minds don't think alike...

Oh yeah, a good ol' political discussion.
We have those regularly here in alaska. It keeps the blood warm when it's -40 below outside.

------------------
Ne Cede Malis Sed Contra Audientor Ito

"Murder the government, murder the government, murder the government and then...
DO IT AGAIN!!!"

No prizes for guessing what that NOFX song is called...

Sheppo

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page
Yeah," TARGET=_blank>http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page
</A> Yeah, so what if I'm an Emo Nerd?

(This message has been edited by Punkster (edited 09-27-2000).)

Who needs an elephant when you can have a donkey?

GO DONKEYS!!! DOWN WITH THE ELEPHANTS!!! YEAH!!!

...heh, that was fun...

------------------

Hell, who needs either of those things when you can just do it yourself?!

Originally posted by Punkster:
Hell, who needs either of those things when you can just do it yourself?!

Anarchist, are we? I'd agree, but most people can't do it themselves, unfortunately.

Somehow the words "Stone Clubs" come to mind.....

------------------
StarLance

Not an anarchist, no. More a democrat, though not in the sense of the U.S. democrat party. In the sense that I think everyone should be able to have equal say. I'm still in the process of working out the dream political system, though I actually do believe in the future (though it may be the far, far future) there is the possibility for a system whereby there are electronic referrendums on all major issues. That would be a hell of a lot closer to democracy than we are now.
Also wouldn't you rather be living your own life (let's say as a hunter-gatherer, Slug...) in a less technologically advanced society than living by the path that is laid out for you in an extremely advanced society?
So I'm not an anarchist. All I want... is to be the catcher in the rye...
Sheppo

------------------
[http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page
Yeah](http://www.crosswinds.net/~pshep/page<br />
Yeah), so what if I'm an Emo Nerd?

...But, if we were hunters/gatherers, we wouldn't have Ares! Or EVO! Or Starcraft! Or any of those other good games!

------------------

Originally posted by Punkster:
**Not an anarchist, no. More a democrat, though not in the sense of the U.S. democrat party. In the sense that I think everyone should be able to have equal say. I'm still in the process of working out the dream political system, though I actually do believe in the future (though it may be the far, far future) there is the possibility for a system whereby there are electronic referrendums on all major issues. That would be a hell of a lot closer to democracy than we are now.
Also wouldn't you rather be living your own life (let's say as a hunter-gatherer, Slug...) in a less technologically advanced society than living by the path that is laid out for you in an extremely advanced society?
So I'm not an anarchist. All I want... is to be the catcher in the rye...
Sheppo

See, that's why I'm a social democrat. I don't really think everyone should vote on all issues and propose things whenever they want because that's just inefficient, and true democracy doesn't work on such a grand scale such as withing a nation. Personally, I think that rather than centraly governed countries, we should have a more regionally centered type thing, with regional commitees putting out programs that fit the area. By region I mean an area not much larger than a city. Of course, you need some form of central government to make sure a region isn't doing all kinds of bigoted/wasteful things that are hurting the people that live there, and to decide foriegn policy, divide tax funds and whatnot, but they shouldn't wield immense power.

If democracy is entirely based on the idea that everyone's vote is equal (well, sort of,) then shouldn't everyone be given equal footing to form their opinions on? How can you expect democracy to work with massive privatization of education? If everyone is given an education of varrying quality, and how good your education is is very dependant on economic status, democracy isn't exactly going to prosper.

Mag: Oh no! People who might otherwise starve to death might be able to feed themselves, and we wouldn't be at the beck and call of massive multinationals, but we wouldn't have starcraft. Maybe it's not worth it after all.

There'd be starving. And people would be sick more, and dying from wild animals more, and getting mad at each other and killing each other with stone clubs more (let's face it, people dying from stone clubs is almost NEVER heard of, these days...)

------------------

Excellent! A nice political argument for me to sink my teeth into. 🙂

There's no way we can return to Hunter-Gathering, even if we wanted to. Somebody is always going to keep some guns aside and then lord it over the rest with their superior military. Thinking about it- that might be fun...

Me, I'm a hardline Fascist. A dictatorship based on fear of military power, that's the way for society to go. The greatest good for those at the top, and so on so on. You get my drift.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

Why would we want to return to Hunter/Gatherer culture? I mean it was fun and all, but there's no way we can do that without half of our population starving to death.

------------------
StarLance

I was a might hasty in preaching Hunter-gatherer societies. Really I meant sustainable economics in general. My point was basically that if the only argument against being a hunter gatherer was that I wouldn't have ares or starcraft, I'd gladly be a cave man.

Really, games are fun, but I feel like a jerk for enjoying them when I live in a house that's too big for my needs, in the suburbs where nothing is produced other than "business solutions" to "business problems" that are in fact "business created," while people around the globe toil to feed and clothe me while starving to death.