"Trade Captain" Plug-In Development Questions

It's cool, sorry for any confusion. I repeated some stuff from earlier because it's been a while since I read through the earlier pages and forgot some stuff that was discussed. For nerfing weapons, you could just say they were damaged when salvaged off a ship or something.

I personally don't have much of an opinion on things you do or do not put in, it's your thing. I was just bringing up things other people may have issues with. It all sounds like it's going to be really cool, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it no matter where you go with it. I'm also glad to hear that the work has, at least for the most part, been going well for you.

@terr-vel, on 14 January 2014 - 09:09 PM, said in "Trade Captain" Plug-In Development Questions:

It's cool, sorry for any confusion. I repeated some stuff from earlier because it's been a while since I read through the earlier pages and forgot some stuff that was discussed.

No biggie 🙂

@terr-vel, on 14 January 2014 - 09:09 PM, said in "Trade Captain" Plug-In Development Questions:

I personally don't have much of an opinion on things you do or do not put in, it's your thing. I was just bringing up things other people may have issues with. It all sounds like it's going to be really cool, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it no matter where you go with it.

That's exactly what I was after. 🙂 You and DK know this community a lot better than I do. you had good suggestions, I just chose to not listen to reason.

Thanks for the vote of confidence btw

Now nothing works. Nova loads fine, I can run around and do missions, but every time I reload it tells me that "this pilot seems to have been used in a plug or replacement data set. you can use it but it may cause strange behavior."

The only thing out of the ordinary is that my pilot file does not store data. I can complete every mission, but it kicks me back to square one every time I reload my pilot file.

I was hoping to work on some cool missions today, but I think I'm going to have to pull my resources out one by one and see what works and what doesn't.

/vent

edit: now about 85% done taking resources out and testing them. So far, no issues have been found. I think the problem may have occurred while playing with govt. resources.

PS I have been developing this by altering the data files. I recently exported it as a regular plug in, but this caused the appearance of stock pers, flets and systems. I attempted a workaround with syst IDs, visbits, hyperlinks (removed all hyperlinks) and I still found some stock systems appearing.

I understand the "Miners" TC had similar issues (never played it). Is there no work-around, other than replacing the data files?

This post has been edited by Sklent : 18 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

My plug is finished, rough-draft form. I have a few items to finish before releasing it:

1. Fix any "factual" errors (desc says mission pays 50,000, actually pays nothing, etc.)

2. re-write descs and storyline to make sure continuity is established and stuff

3. tweak and refine boss ships and special challenges

Then I'll release it 🙂 February 1 might be a little optimistic for a date, but I'm.going to try!

How's your progress going so far?

I've been working a lot and dealing with some family issues. I have been making some slow, steady progress, though. I haven't been able to find time to re-do the storyline, since I need at least a good one hour chunk of time uninterrupted to be able to write.

There are several issues that currently make my plug unplayable. I mean, it works and all but it would be extremely unpleasant for someone who didn't know what was going on. I may just fix those issues and a couple other minor ones (i still have planets with no descs.... one of my planets looks like a hypergate...) and then release a functional but "flawed" version.

I'm torn between doing that and taking another six months to perfect it. In my heart, though, I think that releasing sooner rather than later will be best.

ps I appreciate you checking in on me, Terrivel 🙂

So Sklent is having trouble accessing the forums, but was able to get an e-mail to me on the progress of the plug so I could post it in his stead. His current goal is to do more work on it this weekend and get out a beta version for everyone to try. If anyone has questions, feel free to post them and I'll relay them to Sklent.

I have board access again! The computer i've been writing everything on died. I'm going to see if I can salvage the data off the hard drive and get something released finally.